SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Your only car is a SC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 04:20 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Your only car is a SC?

I do not know if this thread has been done before.. but I would love to see the replies.

How many of you have only your SC as a daily driver and transportation?

Old 11-03-09, 05:24 AM
bcisco513
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its my only car but,have a Harley does that count ?
Old 11-03-09, 05:25 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't imagine carrying what I need to have each day with only an SC. Have a hard time just putting my golf gear in the trunk! Interesting thread, hope to see all the posts ! So glad I have my RX !
Old 11-03-09, 05:57 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

SC for the sun + RX for the snow = 1st class transportation solution.
Old 11-03-09, 06:25 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Mine is a drive only nice day car period . If I can put the top down I dont want to drive it
Old 11-03-09, 06:44 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Daily driver...and our "family car" for long trips (it's the only car with navigation, cruise control, smooth ride, etc).

My wife has a beater Suzuki Vitara (think Sidekick, only not as fancy). We use that for trips to Home Depot for mulch...or on the 2-3 days per year when the roads around here are bad. Other than that, the SC430 is the daily driver.

You can fit a LOT of crap in the trunk if you don't put the top down (and we have the spare tire kit). If you DO put the top down, you can put a lot of crap in the back seats (since you're not putting people back there).

We took the AutoTrain down to FL a couple of years ago (I told the wife I would NOT spend a week, in Florida, in a freakin' Seabring convertible when we've got an SC430!!)

We loaded the car up for a week's vacation...2 full-size suitcases, BIG camera bag, a couple of additional small duffels, etc. It all fit in the trunk.

When we got off the AutoTrain, it was a PERFECT day out...and we had about a 3 hour drive to our destination.

We put both suitcases, sitting upright behind each of us in the back seat, put the big camera bag between them, sticking forward just a little bit onto the center armrest, all of the other miscellaneous stuff fit in the trunk with the top folded down. Luggage and supplies for a week's vacation AND the top down...so there!

I honestly think that people who say the SC430 can't hold anything...haven't really tried...or haven't seen the trunk of a Miata or S2000 for comparison. No, it's not a Camry...but, more importantly, on those sunny, gorgeous days...it's NOT a Camry!
Old 11-03-09, 06:45 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive it any day that ends in, "Y" Even on my day to drop the kids off at school, they rather squeeze in the back with the top down than ride my wife's LS. No problem taking a family of four to Cosco, and buying a weeks groceries when the top is up.
Old 11-03-09, 06:58 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I agree about the trunk space. For travel on the highway, the trunk is quite large.
A lady friend and I loaded up the car for a week at the beach, including 2 beach chairs and lots of her girlie crap. What we found is that the forward part of the trunk is very high, and you can stack things pretty deep up there and, since the trunk has an irregular shape, if you pack your stuff in canvas bags that can conform to that space you can bring everything you need. Bring no more than one hard-sided suitcase. And you still have the back seat for more stuff.
Once "you have arrived at your destination," unpack, it's top down for the rest of the week.
Old 11-03-09, 07:03 AM
dag8882
Driver

Got several rides (BMW, Infinity, Nissan, Lexus, Toyota and even a classic HotRod) but i cant lie, ever since purchasing the SC a few yrs back i cant seem to stop driving the damn thing. Honestly, its got to be one of the best cars I've ever owned! okay, it doesn't handle/perform like a BMW i must admit but gosh darn...is it a classy convertible to own.Other then my QX4, this is my only other daily driver. could be because their the only two rides of mine with really decent gas mileage. lol
Old 11-03-09, 07:06 AM
EddierRo
Driver

The SC430 is a great DD car indeed. Very few cars offer the level of luxury and reliability that the SC430 does. Just dont drive it in the snow with runcraps!
Old 11-03-09, 07:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My SC is my daily beater.

Yes, I have a bike, but that's even more frivolous than the SC.

The SC works fine for me. I'm single with no kids, so I sparingly have one passenger, much less two (and never three). When I go grocery shopping, the trunk is sufficient with the top up. When I travel alone or with one passenger, the trunk is sufficient for two people's luggage with the top down.

The only thing that the SC can't do for me is transporting cargo (extremely rare, such as a case when I needed to go to Ikea, and another time when I had a body kit for my brother's car). And, of course, the SC can't haul anything, so I can't haul my motorcycle on a trailer if I needed to (and who would trailer their motorcycle anyways? You ride it whenever you can!).

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the SC430 works for me as a daily driver. It may not work for everyone, but it works for me.
Old 11-03-09, 07:37 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2002 SC is my only car, and will have 75,000 miles by it's 8th birthday on 11/23/09.
+1 on the trunk space (from recycling to luggage to mass groceries), but I've never risked trying to put my bike in it. It's not a great Home Depot vehicle, but it can haul 2x4s better than most with the top down.
Old 11-03-09, 08:50 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Come on, gang...post some pics on your other rides too!

I have a company car--2009 Chevy Malibu LTZ (actually a nice chevy product for a change) so I don't need to show that. Wife drives that. Company issued, but its okay if she drives it.

My daily beater is a 2009 FX35, Premium, Nav, Deluxe and Tech Packages. Only mod is 22" Chrome Verde Kaos Wheels with Yoko Parada Spec-X tires.

RIP a few cars too...2003 FX35 with 100k miles most recently, 2004 Rx300, 2004 S2000, 2002 SC430 (the original scdroptop), 1991 Mazda Rx-7 Convertible, 2005 G35 6MT sport and 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo. Had these cars in the past five yrs.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Your only car is a SC?-raven22-s.jpg   Your only car is a SC?-picture-001.jpg   Your only car is a SC?-picture-020.jpg   Your only car is a SC?-2009-iphone-186.jpg   Your only car is a SC?-dsc00246.jpg  

Old 11-03-09, 08:58 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

more old ride pics...i'm a bit of a freak when it comes to taking pics of my cars...but lol I've never taken a pic of my company cars! I didn't take any pictures of our 2001 RX300 (black on ecru) and some pics are stuck on memory sticks somewhere like my supra and 3rd gen rx-7s (three of them).
Attached Thumbnails Your only car is a SC?-dsc01148.jpg   Your only car is a SC?-file0005.jpg   Your only car is a SC?-dsc00071.jpg   Your only car is a SC?-hpim0192.jpg  
Old 11-03-09, 09:22 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Interestingly enough, when I bought my SC 1 1/2 years ago, I decided not to drive my SC to work being that I am a high school teacher. The parking lot is accessible to students and was worried they would mess with it. After I started driving it, my philosophy changed-What is the point of having a car you can't drive. So, now it is driven everyday, and surprisingly, no one touches it.

The wife drives an 08 EX with Nav, premium packages, etc- like your FX, scdroptop-just the small version, but sounds like we have the same equipment. I am jeolous of those rims though-they look great.

My hauler is an 05 Odyssey EXL with DVD/Nav-A good road trip vehicle if you have 6 or 7 in the car. Very happy with it. I do use it for work on rainy days and keep the SC in the garage. Fortunately, Not too many rainy days in southern california.

Each car goes no more than 5K miles a year.

Quick Reply: Your only car is a SC?