SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

19" STERN ST-1 for SC430

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 02:13 AM
ERicincal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19" STERN ST-1 for SC430

All, I just got my Sc430 a few months ago. I love the car but am really becoming unhappy with the ride quality. The tires are noisy and really quite harsh. I feel like my old miatas were smoother in many ways.

I am not sure where to start. Do I change out the suspension first, then get the wheels so it doesnt look strange and so I will know that the wheels wont rub? or just buy the wheels first. I was thinking about these wheels. I liked the look of them. Any thoughts as to how they would fit?

I am looking for a more agressive look, but I dont want to slam the car. I am looking for the right balance of comfort with increased sportiness.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8068985052

All help is appreciated.
Old 10-30-09, 10:39 PM
ERicincal
Driver School Candidate

Looks like the link isnt working.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-ST...Q5fAccessories
Old 10-31-09, 09:40 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Stern wheels are nice... Those hyper silver/ gunmetal look nice but IMHO you should get 20" chrome staggered for $1k plus shipping. I did and no rubbing. I am not dropping yet and I actually love the look. I may not drop. No rubbing. What color is your car?
Old 10-31-09, 02:36 PM
ERicincal
Driver School Candidate

Mine is black with the saddle interior. Do you have photos of your car with the wheels on it? I Was thinking of going with 20s. My friend brought over one of his 20 inch rims for the front tire and the thing looked huge! Granted it had 35 series tires on it. I was afraid going 20 inches would cause all sorts of rubbing issues. I really dont want to have to roll fenders.

I was afraid also that the 20 inch rims would make the car ride too hard. Before I bought the SC, I test drove a SL500 with 20s on it, and then an SL55 with 19s on it, and I felt like the ride of the 55 was a lot nicer/ smoother. Also, if the performance of the 19 is better due to the weight, then I would prefer a nicer riding and better performing wheel over a better looking wheel. Is that logic wrong? I am open minded on this issue.

If you can post a few photos, I would really appreciate it. or email if thats easier
Old 10-31-09, 02:54 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Sc's can fit 20's easily and personally I love the look of 20's

and I just cant justify getting 19's because it costs a couple hundred bucks more each time you want to buy a set of tires.

if you search most of us have 20's, so finding pictures will not be a problem

Last edited by Lexiss_sc430; 10-31-09 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-31-09, 06:21 PM
scdroptop

^^^+1 I had 19"s on my 2002 and I regretting it from day one due to the cost factor...they are practically the same price and the 20's look so much better!

Here are some pics of mine with 20"s not lowered. Not sure if I ever am. got them on eBay. Staggered...20x8.5 front 20x9.5 rear. 245/35/20 fronts and 285/30/20 rear
Attached Thumbnails 19" STERN ST-1 for SC430-myscadr.jpg   19" STERN ST-1 for SC430-myscadr2.jpg   19" STERN ST-1 for SC430-myscadr3.jpg   19" STERN ST-1 for SC430-myscadr4.jpg   19" STERN ST-1 for SC430-adrrims.jpg  

Old 10-31-09, 06:21 PM
scdroptop

tires...yoko s drive
Attached Thumbnails 19" STERN ST-1 for SC430-yokosdrive.jpg  
Old 11-02-09, 12:08 AM
ERicincal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for posting these photos. Its interesting that you didnt lower the car. Do you have a photo of the car shot straight from the side? Also, what are the offsets for these wheels? Does the car ride much differently from the 19 to the 20s? I am so scared of the unsprung weight of the 20s.
Old 11-02-09, 12:40 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

from how I understand it the Unsprung weight is not related to the size of the rim its the WEIGHT!!!!

you can get 20's that weigh less than 19's and BINGO less unsprung weight,
for a car like ours I really don't think you should be too worried about unsprung weight, there are a lot more things that need attention like the boat like handling mush brake feel, and slow acceleration. So don't be too hard on yourself for the few pounds you might gain or loose...
Old 11-02-09, 09:38 AM
scdroptop

^^^ +1...no diff for me between the 19's on my 2002 and the 20's on my 2005 in "weight" feeling. You can have 18's that are heavier than 20's for that matter!

I have a CPO car and my last had the 3 year/100k Platinum warranty. I was told by the dealer that lowering the car would void some warranty so I've always been shy to do so. Have at it though, by all means...SC's look better dropped slightly with 20's. I just choose not to do it right now due to warranty. In three years...SURE!

In fact, I asked my technician if lowering a car would void my most recent engine and transmission mount job and they said, "yes". That scares me to do that. Not worth it.

Not quite sure what pics you want of my car...please PM me for more specifics. If you want my wheels, eBay has them again. Great deal!!! The offsets are 20 and 25. IMHO they are PERFECT and fill up the wheel well almost 100%. My 19's didn't do that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 11-02-09, 12:14 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scdroptop
In fact, I asked my technician if lowering a car would void my most recent engine and transmission mount job and they said, "yes". That scares me to do that. Not worth it.
[/url]
see that's a bunch of crap, dealers try to take advantage of their customers. If you were going to look at it from a legal stand point they can only void the warranty of the exact part you replaced. If not that they can void the general components like your suspension, but they cant turn around and say your motor mounts are not covered if you lower your car. go to another dealer, or just call around and see what the other dealers say
Old 11-02-09, 12:32 PM
terrain
Pole Position

ERincal - IMO you can't compare the SL 550,55 ride with the SC430 - just not in the same "universe". I first drove several SC430's- 07's and 08's and felt the same that you did since I was expecting something closer to our LS, If you liked the SL ride why did you go with a SC -Cost?

Originally Posted by ERicincal
Mine is black with the saddle interior. Do you have photos of your car with the wheels on it? I Was thinking of going with 20s. My friend brought over one of his 20 inch rims for the front tire and the thing looked huge! Granted it had 35 series tires on it. I was afraid going 20 inches would cause all sorts of rubbing issues. I really dont want to have to roll fenders.

I was afraid also that the 20 inch rims would make the car ride too hard. Before I bought the SC, I test drove a SL500 with 20s on it, and then an SL55 with 19s on it, and I felt like the ride of the 55 was a lot nicer/ smoother. Also, if the performance of the 19 is better due to the weight, then I would prefer a nicer riding and better performing wheel over a better looking wheel. Is that logic wrong? I am open minded on this issue.

If you can post a few photos, I would really appreciate it. or email if thats easier

Last edited by terrain; 11-02-09 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 12:58 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 20" weight and cost thing is wrong. Wheel for wheel and tire for tire, 19s will usually be cheaper and lighter. Just go to any website that sells wheels if you don't belive me. Plus 20" wheels put that weight in a worse spot (towards the outter part).

My car came with 20" cheap-o wheels and while I do like the look of the 20s better (only if your sitting on them right, Btw), the 20s have one big down side vs 19s. Stock tires are 245/40/18 and if you go 20s (plus 2), then the correct size is 245/30/20 tires, which is to say, no side wall at all and those tires ride worse than the run flats..

If you look at most people here on the boards they are running a tires size too big (245/35/20) and that will hurt acceleration, handling, fuel economy, ride height and will rub if you lower (make that really lower) your car.
Old 11-02-09, 08:33 PM
scdroptop

I have 245/35/20 in the front...285/30/20 in the rear and have no problems rubbing (not lowered), no difference in acceleration and car drives 300% smoother than RFT's I just took off with stock wheels. Fuel economy the same.

I think every wheel/tire combination is different, along with driving habits, frequency, climate, road conditions. It's very hard to compare all these scenarios, unless of course you do a meta-analysis.

BTW-checked with Discount Tire, Tire Rack and the company that sold me the wheels and they all said 245/35/20 was the proper +2 size in the front (or at least one of the proper alternatives). I specifically asked each one if there would be a speedo difference and they said not. Not sure, but it "feels" right...much smoother than my 19's and 18's on previous SC's and this one.
Old 11-02-09, 08:38 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
see that's a bunch of crap, dealers try to take advantage of their customers. If you were going to look at it from a legal stand point they can only void the warranty of the exact part you replaced. If not that they can void the general components like your suspension, but they cant turn around and say your motor mounts are not covered if you lower your car. go to another dealer, or just call around and see what the other dealers say
my car is lowered on tein cs and i had my motor mounts replaced under warranty with no problems.

Quick Reply: 19" STERN ST-1 for SC430