SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Interesting morning at the lexus dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 06:35 AM
FALCON1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interesting morning at the lexus dealership

While waiting for my favorite Tech to finish up on a car so I could ask him about the "light" that does not work...........directional signal et al I began talking to a salesman on the floor. He advised me that they were selling cars but he was having trouble getting Previously Owned Lexus cars as most folks were holding onto them because of the economy.

He commented on my pristine Silver SC and asked me what year it was. When I responded 2001-2 his eyes lit up. He called the Used Car Manager over to join the conversation..........He asked what the miles were.............37.000, no accidents and always maintained by this dealership and only by one Tech.........blah blah blah.

He asked me IF I would be interested in selling it.............my comment was make me a offer.........He then went into his BS , its a 2001-2 blah blah.......
and proceeded to tell me he would offer $18,000. I proceeded to advise him I wanted 25K. .................and then told him that NOW I understood WHY no one was trading in a Lexus..............The resale is held by the selling price at the dealership and NOT by what it is worth on a trade to the seller......

I stopped by the GM's office and advised him that HIS manager in used cars would be the death of that department.........If any of you have the extended warranty then drive the SC to the end of time .

Dealerships no matter what LOGO they use are still Stealerships from a day long gone by and will be that way until the end of time.

Sad but true.
Old 10-08-09, 06:56 AM
mhoepfin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen brother...
Old 10-08-09, 12:50 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I from day one have hated going to the dealership. I drive an older SUV mazda and usually I go to the dealer to get a part or ask a question. My sc is not my daily beater. From the moment I walk into the dealer I get ignored or worse yet treated like I was homeless . You know the feeling when people dont speak to you yet they watch you. If I go to the dealer driving my sc WOW IS IT A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE.

Sad but true
Old 10-08-09, 12:58 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I owned my Sienna and walked in to the local lexus dealership to get new floor mats it took me forever for someone to help me... and i saw employees simply walking around bored...

So sad...
Old 10-08-09, 04:25 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
When I owned my Sienna and walked in to the local lexus dealership to get new floor mats it took me forever for someone to help me... and i saw employees simply walking around bored...

So sad...
+1 lamar, I have alot of time on my hands, sometimes I put on some old bib overalls and go to highend car dealerships just to see how I'm treated. No one wants to wait on me. I walk in with a nice suit, wow they're on me like flies on s.....! That's why I buy all my cars on Ebay !!
Old 10-08-09, 05:34 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

if this helps you feel better, hear me out:
i manage a car dealership AND am an sc430 owner. after looking at my local blackbook, his figures are a little low. HOWEVER, even a 2003 in AMAZING SHOWROOM CONDITION, extra clean condition is 22000. not 25000.
kelly blue book EXCELLENT condition with your miles and nav is only 17500.
so these numbers come from auction reports for wholesale value. not out of thin air. so food for thought.
wholesale is always lower than retail. but lets think of this:
you want 25000, right? i paid RETAIL less than that for my 2004 with 45k and clean carfax.
just be glad you dont have a domestic. whew. imagine what a 2002 cadillac is worth??? 10000???
if you think your car has more value, you are right: keep it. i sold my supra that poured my heart and soul into for 6 years when i was hospitalized. i felt i got screwed out of at least 20k less than it was worth. but that was MY value. not his. but in hindsight, he was probably closer than i was.
dont get a bad taste for the dealer, but i suggest you keep your car till there is some vehicle or some reason greater than your trade value to do so....
have you SEEN the new audi A5???? jesus...
peace bro
Old 10-08-09, 05:54 PM
FALCON1
Driver

Lightbulb

No offense, and good points and comments for sure.

I too have seen the A 5 ansd S 5 and bang for the buck they are sweet.

Plan B to get the 25k is to do a private sell. I figure withe the transferred extended warrnty I have which is good for 72,000 miles more on the odometer and 5 years of life 25k is a fair amount for the SC.

If not then I will enjoy it ...............this is the longest in all my years of driving that I have kept a particular vehicle...........even my wife is amazed that 2002 is still here in 2009......only her, kids and pets stay that long.

The problem of zoom came when I bought a 3rd car............R 32 AWD VW .
I enjoy that so much now the Lexus gets driven less each month. There is music in the DSG and twin pipes.............and yes, I took it on a 1200 mile run to Florida in May and it was almost as much fun to drive as the Lexus.
Old 10-08-09, 06:13 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

i feel you! i just bought my gf the audi A3 with the smaller engine but the paddle shifters, etc and that thing is a BLAST! still love my toyota/lexus products because no body makes plastic look so good.
good luck!
Old 10-09-09, 10:21 AM
Lapraka
Driver

that S5 is sweet though!!!
Old 10-12-09, 10:34 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

FALCON I totally feel you. My 2002 with 29k miles was absolutely immaculate. Not a scratch, ding or blemish on it, nice chrome wheels and just was getting out of the 3 year Platinum Warranty when I sold it.

I went to my favorite dealers and they both offered between $16-18k for it, and I saw they were selling similar for about $25k. I about choked. They can make up to $10k on our cars! On a 2002, financing is even harder for individuals because the cars are so expensive...i.e; why would you buy a 2002 and finance $25k for 48 months for $600/month and no warranty when you can lease a new IS250 for $399/month? That's the mentality.

My lexus dealer told me they take these older cars in as a "courtesy" to their customers, and even though my car was pristine and had super low mileage and was serviced at their dealership, they advised me to sell outright or go to car max. Typically Lexus dealers don't buy too many auction cars and they typically keep just a small percentage of older trade ins, so the likelihood of them keeping cars like yours and mine are very rare, mainly due to lack of warranty, financing, etc. Wholesalers have gone crazy with these cars, offering them for up to $10k less than the Lexus dealer down the street! Carmax offered me $19k which was an insult too, they are high on crack and even poorer stealership to buy from!

I took it to eBay and sold it for $24k within two days of posting. You can definitely do the same. The bottom line is that ALL dealers will try to buy left hand wholesale and sell right hand retail. You can almost throw the books away (NADA, KBB, Edmunds) on these cars now, because due to mileage, year and colors, maint history and CPO their prices can vary up to $12-$15k within the same model year from car to car....believe me I know I have looked at about every SC430 on the market right now. I am looking at a 2006 with 51k miles for $29k where I can go to a dealer and buy one for $45k! WOW!

What a spread/range in prices, huh? Now you understand why you have free wifi, free snacks/drinks, brand new loaner cars and gorgeous decked out dealerships? You pay for it...one way or the other. Either way, we love our L cars.
Old 10-12-09, 11:34 AM
FALCON1
Driver

Good insight SCDROPTOP...............I understand the drill for sure now.
Old 10-12-09, 02:20 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FALCON1
Good insight SCDROPTOP...............I understand the drill for sure now.
+1, you can take it to the bank when SCDROPTOP gives you the scoop
Old 10-12-09, 11:25 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

lol, my wife says that I'm cheating on her with car **** right now! she can't wait for my new PB to come in so I can stop looking for cars....little does she know the fun stuff will only just begin...exhaust, intake, wheels/tires, lighting, etc etc etc