SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

exhaust systems for the sc430

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-11, 11:01 PM
DJSPEC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a video and sound clip of the borla exhaust a few hours after installation.

The sound of the video might have something to do with the fact that the car was in my garage @ the time of recording. I will have to post another video without the resonance of the garage later on.

catalytic converter and resonators still installed. They just replaced the stock muffler with 2 borla mufflers.
-Aloha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcX2GB2_Rl0

Last edited by DJSPEC; 09-28-11 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-20-11, 04:43 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DJSpec is that black piping? Can you give some more info on it? It'd be nice if I could get an paint for mine. I tried on my Accord with some duralast high-temp paint a long time ago but it began chipping after a year. Maybe powder coat is the only way to do it correctly?

Last edited by redliner8; 06-20-11 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-20-11, 05:01 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice! It's definitely not as loud as removing the resonators (which I did). I know you said you didn't want it too loud because others would be driving it, but I do notice a difference from stock. Great job. Hope you enjoy!
Old 06-20-11, 01:21 PM
DJSPEC
Rookie

Originally Posted by redliner8
DJSpec is that black piping? Can you give some more info on it? It'd be nice if I could get an paint for mine. I tried on my Accord with some duralast high-temp paint a long time ago but it began chipping after a year. Maybe powder coat is the only way to do it correctly?
Actually it's regular aluminum piping! they sprayed it black with paint they have at the shop. Unfortunately I'm not sure what kind of paint they used. I'll have to see how long the paint stays on there and when it starts chipping.

Although for my Colorado, I sprayed the piping black with cheap $1.50 spray paint from walmart and it seems to be holding up so far and that's my daily driver too.
Old 06-20-11, 01:23 PM
DJSPEC
Rookie

Originally Posted by playa3uhh
nice! It's definitely not as loud as removing the resonators (which I did). I know you said you didn't want it too loud because others would be driving it, but I do notice a difference from stock. Great job. Hope you enjoy!

Ah! so question, did you keep the stock muffler and remove the 2 resonators? (basically the opposite of what I did) If so that was the other option that I was considering.
Old 06-21-11, 12:47 AM
DJSPEC
Rookie

Originally Posted by lonfrank
that sound bite is v-close to what i'v got.
went through 3 months of trial & error. started w/removal of resonators. maybe a 10% gain of what i was lookin'/hearin' for. than remove large rear muffler & replaced resonators w/aeros 3030s. great sound just like above...
money was less than 500us bucks but think i would of ended up w/very close sound just removing rear muffler & straight pipes from resonators for probably a hundred bucks.
no problem passin' tx inspection. lf
Yeah! I was thinking about running straight pipes after the resonators, but I was afraid it was going to be too loud for others who have to drive the SC too.

Although I do love the sound, like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdmPktX8Fr4
Old 09-28-11, 12:51 AM
DJSPEC
Rookie

New Video! I just recently took off the 2 resonators. Now I am running the catalytic converter to 2 borla exhaust mufflers. I absolutely love the sound! Sounds like a true v8 and lets everybody know it. It sounds great throughout the entire power band. I'm so glad I took the resonators off. =)
-aloha!

http://youtu.be/auPjm8Y_07I
Old 09-28-11, 05:43 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds awesome!!
Old 09-28-11, 08:49 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanuke
The most interesting part of this video is that Aquanuke is a long-haired hippie
Old 09-28-11, 11:19 AM
Bubba
Driver School Candidate

I had the two resonators removed about three weeks ago like others have done (kept all else), and I love it. It is still quiet enough while cruising at a steady speed, but the best part is when you start it up. The local muffler shop cut the resonators out and replaced it with straight pipe for about $150. One of the pipes as it entered the resonators was almost rusted through, so the timing worked out well.
Old 09-28-11, 01:02 PM
jnam808
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey DJSPEC,
how much did ESH charge you?
The following users liked this post:
Roho (10-06-21)
Old 09-28-11, 01:17 PM
DJSPEC
Rookie

Originally Posted by jnam808
hey DJSPEC,
how much did ESH charge you?
It probably would have been cheaper to do it all at once(remove resonators and stock mufflers, install piping and borlas)

But it cost me $700 to do the first stage(remove muffler install borlas) then cost me $120 to remove the 2 resonators a few months later.

I bring all my cars to the king street ESH to have exhaust work done, so they remember me. haha
Old 09-29-11, 01:25 PM
jnam808
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet man. your car sounds sick. i might just do the borlas next week.
Old 09-29-11, 02:35 PM
DJSPEC
Rookie

Originally Posted by jnam808
sweet man. your car sounds sick. i might just do the borlas next week.
It sounds even better in person.

sweet dude, I won't be the only SC430 with custom exhaust then! hope to see you around town.
Old 10-03-11, 06:33 PM
deathstar
Driver

Nice Job DJSPEC!
Just curious if you considered Magnaflow mufflers which are also stainless steel and around $60 each....

Quick Reply: exhaust systems for the sc430