SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I say "Midnight Amethyst Pearl".. you say..????

Old 04-15-02, 07:38 AM
MJB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I say "Midnight Amethyst Pearl".. you say..????

Here in the UK the deep, deep purplish black colour is called Midnight Amethyst Pearl.

What is that called in the USA?

I've seen a number of names that could be it, but have never quite been sure.

Thanks!

Martin
Old 04-15-02, 09:55 AM
vicky!!!
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the Lexus web-site the dark purple is named "Twilight Amethyst Pearl". I have never seen one this color, however. I understand that they are hard to sell in the U.S. How about where you live?
Old 04-15-02, 11:31 AM
MJB
Rookie

Thanks Vicky: subtle naming difference, huh?

Interestingly, here in London, UK, I have NEVER seen another SC430. So the colour issue is a bit irrelevant!

I know only 200 or so were brought into the UK and a few people must have imported Soarer versions from Japan as I have.

But it's a wonderful feeling to be in such a rarity - for now at least.

No wonder people stare open mouthed at my car - even when it's just parked outside the house.

Nice feeling isn't it?

Martin
Old 04-15-02, 01:09 PM
vicky!!!
Driver School Candidate

Hidy MJB,

Nice to be in a class all by yourself, I'll bet. The SC430's are more common here in the states. I own an Indigo Ink Pearl (dark blue) with Ecru (ivory) interior. There are two other ladies that own silver SC's at the gym that I attend. Although, I haven't seen my color combination around the hills of East Tennessee as of yet.

I seem to remember that the Lexus is known by another name in Europe.......is it "Soarer" or something like that? So, is your SC430 the Midnight/Twilight Amethyst Pearl? Do you have any pics you could attach? The dark green is known as the "Midnight Pine" on this side of the ocean. How about there?

Enjoy your exclusivity while it lasts. I know I am loving mine and I get a lot of looks and "Oh my God's" while I am driving around town...and I've only had mine for a little more than a week.

Vicky
Old 04-16-02, 09:18 AM
MJB
Rookie

Hi Vicky,

May I say how nice - and unusual - it is to met a lady on one of these male-dominated boards!

The green in the UK is called Sheldon Green (don't ask me why?).

Lexus models officially shipped to the UK are also called Lexus.

But Lexus doesn't exist in Japan. The name was originally for export-only models: hence (L)uxury (Ex)port to the (US).

I had mine imported privately from Japan where the range is marketed under the Soarer brand. As they drive on the left in Japan, the cars are fine for the UK. Many (though not all) of the controls are marked in English. We just have to convert some lights, speedometer and radio for our country.

I'm attaching a not-very-good picture of my car. I'm going to shoot some better ones shortly. You can just about see the Soarer logo on the grill instead of the Lexus one.

The colour is indeed Midnight Amethyst Pearl (as named in Japan) though I've just checked the UK Lexus site and found that the 'official' UK purple/black colour is actually called Indigo Pearl! Your blue here is called Montrose Blue.

Confusing or what!

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying your car. They really are quite something, aren't they!
Attached Thumbnails I say "Midnight Amethyst Pearl".. you say..????-my-sc430.jpg  

Last edited by MJB; 04-16-02 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-17-02, 05:22 AM
vicky!!!
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Martin,
Thanks so much for the kind words and for noticing that these boards are a bit testosterone driven. (No pun intended)

Your car looks very much like my color in the picture. Interesting that they call it Indigo Pearl........while mine is Indigo Ink Pearl. You call it "purple/black"....but it sure looks dark blue in the photo. The Lexus dark blue is a very uncommon color here with just a hint of purple to it. I wonder if we actually own the same car (more or less)? I have only seen a small sample of the Twilight Amethyst Pearl. But, it is for certain a purplish tint and not very bright more dusty purple if you know what I mean. I am curious if the "Montrose Blue" is the same as mine or a different blue all together.

I have an idea...why don't you click on over to https://www.clublexus.com/lexusmodels.php and check out the
Old 04-17-02, 05:24 AM
vicky!!!
Driver School Candidate

Default oooops.......continued

........colors shown there. Let me know if we are driving "twins" with different names.

Nice chatting with you!

Vicky
Old 04-17-02, 05:53 AM
vicky!!!
Driver School Candidate

Question one more thing

I was curious what you paid for your Soarer? I imagine you paid extra to have it privately imported from Japan. Here they are running around $62,000.00 but I understand that they went in the $70'S when they first arrived several months ago. This was due to the whole supply and demand economics, I suppose.

Thanks for your time.
Vicky
Old 04-17-02, 04:26 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

****, supply and demand?

Just learned all that stuff in economics two weeks ago!!! So cool to actually see someone else knows it!

I dont know whos in LA, but the car when it came out was very rare. You would see someone driving it, and everyone would stare at it. People still stare, but not like they used too. Whenever i see one in my 2ksc, i put on my brights and once someone waived back to me with their windshield wipers. little story.

you remind me of Angelina Jolie in Gone in 60 Seconds. You dont look like her, do you?
Old 04-18-02, 12:48 PM
MJB
Rookie

Vicky,

I've checked again, and mine is without doubt what is called Twilight Amethyst Pearl in the USA. It looks black in some lighting conditions, and in others you can see the glint of purple/pearl. It's beautiful - as is your blue - but definitely not the same!

The UK Montrose Blue certainly looks the same as your car. Check out www.lexus.co.uk to see the British range of colours and names.

Sadly, I paid 51,500 UK POUNDS for my Soarer - about $74,000. Everything is more expensive in the UK, and I did get one of the first to arrive, last summer.

I don't know whether they have dropped in price over here yet, but I suspect not. Cars this 'rare' do not tend to fall very fast.

Here in London we've started having a bit of good Spring weather so I have had the top done constantly. Sheer joy...

All the best,

Martin

Last edited by MJB; 04-18-02 at 12:50 PM.