SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SCheduled maintenance, do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 09:21 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so paranoid to just do oil changes every 5k instead of doing all the stuff the dealer tries to charge me! I don't know what to refuse and what to do! ahh!!!
Old 10-02-09, 04:06 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
It's funny, in competitive market places where there are multiple Lexus dealers, Toyota Dealers and non-franchised luxury dealers (In Dallas we have three major non-Lexus brand, but Lexus-only service dealers) prices can sway A LOT!

I only pay $50 for an oil change at Sewell Lexus. Toyota is like $39, but no loaner you have to wait in a crummy waiting room and no perks. Personally I think it's every bit worth the extra $11 for the Lexus experience. Now if it was a $100...FORGET IT!

Major service is another thing...I went to a Toyota dealer and pieced together my 30k service between a little DIY and the Toyota and Lexus Dealers and did it for about 1/3rd of the cost.

Even if you have NO SKILLS, you can still drop in an air filter, a/c filter, you know? Sometimes dealers charge up to $99 for a a/c filter, and it costs $15 on eBay and takes five minutes to install.
+1, until I started getting parts from Ebay three years ago, I had no idea how much the stealerships were hosing me
Old 01-02-10, 01:55 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

15k service needed. Should I just ask for an oil change? Or do I do everything on the Lexus site?

Any way to ask what I have to do and not what they recommend to stay in good standing with my warranty? Thanks.
Old 01-02-10, 01:55 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

And mileage intervals never happen cause I barely drive it. Do I need to stick to six month service intervals?
Old 01-02-10, 04:19 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tensi
And mileage intervals never happen cause I barely drive it. Do I need to stick to six month service intervals?
Just a question Tensi, what's with your signature, is that the noise your 430 is making ??
Old 01-02-10, 05:39 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tromly, thanks for answering a question here on this thread. First I'm an idiot. Not real savy on what's happenin' on this forum. I've been here for a while and still trying to figure stuff out. I have been wondering how to get my cars listed like you have everytime you post. I just figured out how to put cars in my garage the other day, been trying every once in awhile. Now you called Tensi's click, click, clunck, clunck, a signature. So if I want my cars listed, like you have, I go to my signature and put them in. Correct? I was just looking over another one of your posts and their is no signature.
Is there something special you have to do to get it on?
Old 01-02-10, 01:21 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry Tensi for stealing your thread. I would look at the schedule for what they want done. A lot of the stuff is a visual inspection, not really doin' anything. You can (no should) be looking at this stuff yourself anyway. So you'll know when you take it to another place for the oil change, that the other stuff is just fine, and all you really need is an oil change, filter & wheel rotation (if needed). And if you are so inclined, you can just so it yourself. I haven't done the SC, but I have the ES and I have to put boards down to get it up on the ramps cause they are both so low.

Tromly check it out!! Thanks again, you are answering question w/o even knowing you are doing it. I really like this place.
Old 01-02-10, 02:27 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

All depends on your driving...if you've put 15k on in 2 years, I'd say I would do some fluids...probably not a bad time to look at coolant and tranny flush at least. If you've done 15k in one year and don't live in extreme driving conditions (hills, extreme climates, tons of stop and go) and are mainly a highway commuter I would say just do the oil and filter and see below on air filter and a/c cabin filter.

a/c filter and air filter are super easy DIY. Either buy at your dealer and install yourself, or buy at sewell with CL discount OR on eBay for best price and DIY.

I've never seen customer declining recommended maintenance void a warranty.

Many folks go to Toyota dealers to save about 25%-30% vs Lexus and some even compare prices between Lexus Dealers and Toyota and go back to Lexus and they price match. That's what I'd recommend...stay with Lexus as much as you can, but get the best possible price. A great dealer will price match and still give you a loaner car. Some dealers in areas have shadow dealer competitors...like a Japanese Motocars Service place that just does Lexus, Infiniti, etc. European Autohaus, etc are some common names. They publish discounts on services all the time and a lot of times your friendly Lexus Dealer looses business to them, and they WILL match their prices. You can save about 15% on these guys too. Toyota dealers are great options.

Another option is to go to a trusted lube place to do flush and fills-it's been talked about extensively...make sure you get Toyota ATF Type 1V fluid. Valvoline Instant Oil Change is a place where I have taken my SC's to for simple fluid changes other than oil and they are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, like by 50%. http://www.vioc.com/

hope this helps...
Old 01-04-10, 04:24 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife's '02 SC gets driven 7-8K miles per year. Short distance driving so it is considered "harsh conditions" by the Lexus Owners manual. I run Amsoil 0W-30 Synthetic and their filter and change the oil once a year. Amsoil recommends 12 months or 17,500 miles.

I also drain 3 quarts of ATF out of the tranny while I have the car up on ramps. I replace it with Amsoil Synthetic ATF. The Lexus manual does not recommend a service interval for the tranny but for $30 worth of fluid and 20 minutes it's cheap insurance. I know it's not a flush but this car is kept in flawless condition and driven very mildly.

I syphon power steering fluid from the reservoir with a battery syringe and replace it as well.

I also have bled all of the brake lines completely and refilled the system with
new brake fluid when I bought the car. Hydraulic fluids get acidic over time and these cars have some years on them.

SCDROPTOP is correct. Change the fluids. They are cheap and easy to change and great insurance.
Old 01-13-10, 09:21 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tromly
Just a question Tensi, what's with your signature, is that the noise your 430 is making ??
Yes. I have taken it in a dozen times or so. No one can replicate even after I left it over night. One dealer did replicate... and said it was normal. Can't be normal.
Old 01-13-10, 09:26 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scdroptop
All depends on your driving...if you've put 15k on in 2 years, I'd say I would do some fluids...probably not a bad time to look at coolant and tranny flush at least. If you've done 15k in one year and don't live in extreme driving conditions (hills, extreme climates, tons of stop and go) and are mainly a highway commuter I would say just do the oil and filter and see below on air filter and a/c cabin filter.

a/c filter and air filter are super easy DIY. Either buy at your dealer and install yourself, or buy at sewell with CL discount OR on eBay for best price and DIY.

I've never seen customer declining recommended maintenance void a warranty.

Many folks go to Toyota dealers to save about 25%-30% vs Lexus and some even compare prices between Lexus Dealers and Toyota and go back to Lexus and they price match. That's what I'd recommend...stay with Lexus as much as you can, but get the best possible price. A great dealer will price match and still give you a loaner car. Some dealers in areas have shadow dealer competitors...like a Japanese Motocars Service place that just does Lexus, Infiniti, etc. European Autohaus, etc are some common names. They publish discounts on services all the time and a lot of times your friendly Lexus Dealer looses business to them, and they WILL match their prices. You can save about 15% on these guys too. Toyota dealers are great options.

Another option is to go to a trusted lube place to do flush and fills-it's been talked about extensively...make sure you get Toyota ATF Type 1V fluid. Valvoline Instant Oil Change is a place where I have taken my SC's to for simple fluid changes other than oil and they are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, like by 50%. http://www.vioc.com/

hope this helps...
Thank you! Great post. I have an 04 and it hasn't hit 15k yet.. but time wise, its been a hair over six months now. I checked the Lexus Driver's site and it says I need

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Re-Torque drive shaft flange bolts
Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake pads/discs
Road test vehicle
Inspection #1, #2

Sounds as if I can get away with just the oil and filter.

I will definitely go Lexus dealer only just for peace of mind. Worth the little extra. I wish I knew how to wrench on my own cars... unfortunately I don't.
Old 01-13-10, 09:44 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
My wife's '02 SC gets driven 7-8K miles per year. Short distance driving so it is considered "harsh conditions" by the Lexus Owners manual. I run Amsoil 0W-30 Synthetic and their filter and change the oil once a year. Amsoil recommends 12 months or 17,500 miles.

I also drain 3 quarts of ATF out of the tranny while I have the car up on ramps. I replace it with Amsoil Synthetic ATF. The Lexus manual does not recommend a service interval for the tranny but for $30 worth of fluid and 20 minutes it's cheap insurance. I know it's not a flush but this car is kept in flawless condition and driven very mildly.

I syphon power steering fluid from the reservoir with a battery syringe and replace it as well.

I also have bled all of the brake lines completely and refilled the system with
new brake fluid when I bought the car. Hydraulic fluids get acidic over time and these cars have some years on them.

SCDROPTOP is correct. Change the fluids. They are cheap and easy to change and great insurance.
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I am surprised the dealer never brings that stuff up to me.
Old 01-13-10, 09:52 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

I think I got what I have to do now. Now that I know that warranty won't be an issue if decline stuff.. I will mostly get the oil and filter for my small services... and then monitor all fluids.

I hope you guys don't mind if I bump this thread later on if there is a specific item they recommend and I am not sure about. I REALLY appreciate all of your help and advice. It means a lot that you can help out a noob like me with obvious noob questions.
Old 01-14-10, 07:08 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Couldn't agree more with tfeni stating that changing fluids out (no matter what method) is like cheap insurance. Just like changing your air filters out on your home hvac system, servicing your furnace/air conditioning units, lubing your garage door spring/chain etc etc etc. Just makes good sense if you want stuff to last.

Believe it or not, according to a lot of "car experts" I have ever spoken to all say that short distance milk runs or starbucks/gym runs a few times a week are actually bad for your car and you should drive it more for charging systems, warm up fluids, exhaust rusting, stop glazing on brakes, tire dead spots and several other things that I never considered when I had all my garage queens. I make it a point during the week to take the SC out for short runs and long runs for these reasons. Not sure if any of it is scientifically proven, but just like the changing out of fluids/filters by date not by mileage on our garage queens-it just makes good common sense!
Old 01-15-10, 04:48 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck finding a good independent to do the fluids. And I know the dealer hasn't recommended anything yet. So I am at a bit of a loss as far as that goes.

Quick Reply: SCheduled maintenance, do?