SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

License Plate Bracket Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 01:37 AM
fotch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate Bracket Help

Well my temp Florida tag is about to expire and I’m reluctantly gonna have to put the front VA tag on. I don’t want to use the stock bracket because I refuse to drill holes in the bumper. Can anyone tell me where I can find the LX Mode license plate bracket/frame like on the SC below or something similar? I’m thinking it can be mounted with a good double sided automotive tape like they use on trim molding. The stock bracket I have doesn't have a nice finished look like the LX bracket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails License Plate Bracket Help-cbcdc027-7a69-4850.jpg  
Old 08-07-09, 03:26 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in VA, hate those front tags!! Wish I lived in NC or FL, drilled holes in my SC, it broke my heart!!
Old 08-07-09, 08:36 AM
fotch
Rookie

I feel the pain, I drove the car back from Sarasota a couple of weeks ago and hate the thought of putting a tag on the front. Especially knowing I'm planning on relocating to Sarasota, so I’m trying to avoid putting holes in the bumper. I have a week left on the temp tag so hopefully I’ll have the problem resolved by then.

I found this petition for the Eradication of Front License Plate Requirement in Virginia but I have no idea how long it’s been out there. If I find out anything more I’ll post it here.

http://www.petitiononline.com/va332004/petition.html
Old 08-07-09, 03:23 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I did! No holes in the front of the bumper, just under the lip by the signal light.

Just some Two sided tape on the top and mounted with screws on the bottom. Got the bracket from a wrecked Ford Tempo!

Old 08-07-09, 04:05 PM
dtuttle
Driver School Candidate

Are you sure you have to. I live in Utah and it's mandatory to have front plates, but I drove a Miata for 14 years without one and my wife's RX330 doesn't have one. So, I've decided not to put one on the SC430 I bought a couple weeks ago for the very reasons that no one else wants to do it. If I get pulled over on it, then I'll put one on. Ask around...do you know of anyone whose been ticketed for it in your state?
Old 08-07-09, 04:19 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

cops usually won't pull you over just for not having a front tag. but if you're in the habit of speeding they'll gladly write you up for the tag on top of the speeding ticket.
Old 08-07-09, 04:56 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dtuttle
Are you sure you have to. I live in Utah and it's mandatory to have front plates, but I drove a Miata for 14 years without one and my wife's RX330 doesn't have one. So, I've decided not to put one on the SC430 I bought a couple weeks ago for the very reasons that no one else wants to do it. If I get pulled over on it, then I'll put one on. Ask around...do you know of anyone whose been ticketed for it in your state?
Ohio is a bad about this......Fines like $110.00! And no talking your way out of it.
Old 08-08-09, 06:13 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Two problems in VA: First they are gonna get you while you are parked. They LOVE parking enforcement around here, and "no front tag" is the holy grail for meter readers. VA = $50; DC = $100 (I once got the DC ticket). Second, we have yearly inspection -- not sure whether you can pass inspection without a front license plate (or "tag" as they like to call them in this area of the country).

On a side note, it is a more expensive ticket if you have a front tag in DC, but the tag is covered in any way, including a clear cover. That ticket is $500.
Old 08-08-09, 07:47 AM
fotch
Rookie

Thanks for the input guys. I'm with JC on this one, although I'm as far south as you can get in VA I'm in northern VA a lot and I know how they are. So I'll be putting the tag on, just not quite sure how to mount it yet... dt interesting concept, is that a home made bracket?
Old 08-08-09, 08:00 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fotch
Thanks for the input guys. I'm with JC on this one, although I'm as far south as you can get in VA I'm in northern VA a lot and I know how they are. So I'll be putting the tag on, just not quite sure how to mount it yet... dt interesting concept, is that a home made bracket?
It is Farkas , not DT and the bracket came off of a Ford Tempo I believe. Just go to a Salvage yard and go shopping. Anything that has a lip like the one I used can be used to mount it there.
Old 08-08-09, 12:26 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

You could always go the motorized hidden route:

Hidden front tag
Old 08-08-09, 12:27 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dtuttle
I don't know about other states, but it's required in Texas. However, like you said, I drove an SC 400 for years that had no front plate. I was stopped numerous times, but NEVER received a ticket...not one time. I just played dumb and told them I had recently bought the car and didn't even notice that it had no front plate. All they did was tell me to get one. LOL....
Old 08-08-09, 12:31 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake

Hidden front tag
LOL...I gotta get me one of those.
Old 08-08-09, 03:58 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake

Hidden front tag
That is Sweet!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-09, 05:06 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jason702
cops usually won't pull you over just for not having a front tag. but if you're in the habit of speeding they'll gladly write you up for the tag on top of the speeding ticket.
In VA you better have that tag on, police are always looking for a source of revenue!

Quick Reply: License Plate Bracket Help