SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Radio Display Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 08:50 AM
Aceflash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SC430 Radio Display Repair

I just purchase a 2002 SC430 with only two (minor) issues. First: the radio display does not work. Everything else is fine. The CD changer works, the radio works, the stearing column controls work. The display is blank. Lexus solution is 650$ for a new radio. Seems like there should be a simpler fix.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it.

Second the panel covering the display does not come down. I can pull it down, and it will go back up with the push of the button. But it will not go back down. Again lexus fix is 700$. I geuss Ican keep pulling it down for that price, but again has anyone else experienced this and how was it resolved.

Last edited by Aceflash; 06-30-09 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added second item
Old 06-30-09, 09:12 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Search the files for a radio repair company I think they charge approx 149.00 to go over the radio. There should be mention of this if you search the threads. The door issue may be the motor

Buddy
Old 06-30-09, 03:43 PM
Aceflash
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

I did a search on "SC430 radio display" and did not find anything, I will broaden the search. I have got to believe there is a simpler and cheaper solution.

I like the look of your 05. I wish I had research a little more about the 02 problems, I would have looked for a newer model.
Old 06-30-09, 05:25 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default Repair company for radio in syracuse NY

Originally Posted by Aceflash
I did a search on "SC430 radio display" and did not find anything, I will broaden the search. I have got to believe there is a simpler and cheaper solution.

I like the look of your 05. I wish I had research a little more about the 02 problems, I would have looked for a newer model.
Here is the thread with the address

Hey guys,
For those of us who "braved" the "used" Lexus and/or bought new & perhaps no longer have a "warranty" on certain items (i.e. the radio/cd player) & who are "smart" with their money...despite having plenty to go around......listen up...here's a tip... I bought a 2002 SC430 in November without extended warranty. I love the car. However, unfortunately as anticipated since I didnt' pay $62,000 for it...only high $20s.. I did expect to incur some costs due to the "used" factor. Recently, my cd player jammed with the "ERROR 4" (which dont waste your time asking the dealer...this error message means..its beyond repair). They quoted me $595 to replace it with a refurb only (as thats how they do replacements with all Lexus players shockingly enough)! It would take 1 to 2 weeks to ship the refurb. from CA to NJ. Six to Eight weeks for them to unjam my original player & return my 6 cds. However, instead what I did was research a way to get this fixed cheaper. I found this place...its called United Radio, Inc. in Syracuse, NY. You can save even more if you know how to disconnect & reconnect..however I did not...so I took the car to the Lexus dealer they split the normal labor rate of $85 hr...instead charged me only 1/2 the labor rate to take it out & 1/2 the labor rate to put it back in. I shipped it for $15 to United Radio, in Syracuse, NY to fix. Once received it takes this company ONE day to fix!! & they warranty it for as long as the Lexus dealer will warranty their refurbs. United Radio charges a $250 flat rate & returns your discs in one day as well! They fixed the player & its awesome again Altogether with EVERYTHING.. labor to disconnect/reconnect, shipping cost, and fixing...cost me $350 as opposed to $595. I HIGHLY recommend this place! They have outstanding customer service & are lightening quick in repairing & arent ripping you off like our dealers!

Buddy
Old 06-30-09, 05:40 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Ace, are you in the DFW area? There is a repair facility in Richardson that may handle it. They are Factory Repair Services on Columbia Dr in Richardson.
Old 07-01-09, 11:31 AM
Aceflash
Driver School Candidate

Harold

No, I am in Houston / Katy - I bought the car in Carrolton, but it would be a bit of a drive to get this fixed. If I can't find a better option here in Houston, I may give them a call. Thanks for the informaton
Old 07-01-09, 11:56 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Just do a web search on "factory radio service in Houston, Texas" and you'll run across several.
Old 07-02-09, 08:06 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the door to the audio screen doesn't open and close, it might be a microswitch in the door open/close mechanism. If it doesn't work right, the power to the LCD is not enabled. The guys in Richardson that Harold mentions were able to disassemble my system and remove the broken switch. Unfortunately, it is impossible to get just a switch, so I had the door open/close mech disabled by disconnecting the power to it. Now my LCD works fine. I just don't have the ability to close the audio door.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 07-02-09, 07:32 PM
Aceflash
Driver School Candidate

TXFM - that is great information. I was able to find a place in Houston that claims they can fix it but the door open/close mechanism does not work so that may be the case. This information could come in very handy if they are unable to fix the lcd screen. They have pulled the radio and are working on it from a bench. When it is re-installed I will let you now the results.

Last edited by Aceflash; 07-02-09 at 07:33 PM. Reason: mis spelling
Old 07-20-09, 05:48 PM
Aceflash
Driver School Candidate

OK, Here is the update. TXFM - nailed it perfectly. It was the microswitch. I found a place in Houston - Austin Radio and Speadometer - that claimed they could fix both. They pulled the radio and door assembly which looked surprisingly easy to pull. They told me it was done three different times, but after 2 weeks and several attempts to reinstall the unit, they ultimalty came to the exact same explanation as TXFM and my result is the same. I can manually move the door and the LCD display works fine. To fix the door is over $700.00. No replacement micro switch available anywhere. If you decide to use this guy just be patient because he is not a real people person. I do believe that he knows his business, because he ultimatly figured everything out with out any help. I was traveling so I gave him a little more than a week to work through the details. All in all I am just glad to have the LCD working so I can adjust the balance etc. Manually working the door is easy to justify vs a 700$ fix.
Old 07-21-09, 06:21 AM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXFM
If the door to the audio screen doesn't open and close, it might be a microswitch in the door open/close mechanism. If it doesn't work right, the power to the LCD is not enabled. The guys in Richardson that Harold mentions were able to disassemble my system and remove the broken switch. Unfortunately, it is impossible to get just a switch, so I had the door open/close mech disabled by disconnecting the power to it. Now my LCD works fine. I just don't have the ability to close the audio door.

Let us know how it works out for you.
There's an audio door?
Old 07-21-09, 06:42 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The audio door is the one that covers the radio display, etc.

Glad you have it working, Aceflash! I don't think you'll really miss the ability to close the door. I seldom used mine.
Old 07-21-09, 10:45 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFM
The audio door is the one that covers the radio display, etc.

Glad you have it working, Aceflash! I don't think you'll really miss the ability to close the door. I seldom used mine.
+1 TXFM, most SC owners never use the door, if mine breaks I'm not laying out dough just to use it

Last edited by tromly; 07-21-09 at 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-05-09, 10:52 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Default Radio door failure

Recently purchased an 03 knowing the little door didn't work so I felt even if I couldn't get it working it was no big loss. However, things bug me that don't work so today was the day to take a look. Would you believe the connector that plugs into the micro switch had came loose and dropped down? I promptly put the plug into it correct place and now I have a little sliding door that I rarely use, but it works.

For those that have the problem you might want to pull your console and check the connector.

One thing that happened during the installation of the console was I somehow ran the battery dead. I have no idea on how that happened and without going into all my troubleshooting efforts, I recharged the battery and everything works perfectly. I'm assumming I must have grounded the cigar lighter during my installation, but it is really beyond me why it didn't blow a fuse rather than drain the battery. Again, I'm assumming I grounded the cigar lighter during the reinstallation. (Makes me wonder about all the dead batteries with the SC430 that I've read about on this forum) oh, it's a fairly new battery.

If anyone knows what I might have touched to cause that, please chime in.

Hope this helps others with the same door problem. May save you a few bucks by checking out the connector first prior to going to Lexus.

cheers,

lar
Old 08-05-09, 06:26 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1NEAT_SC
Recently purchased an 03 knowing the little door didn't work so I felt even if I couldn't get it working it was no big loss. However, things bug me that don't work so today was the day to take a look. Would you believe the connector that plugs into the micro switch had came loose and dropped down? I promptly put the plug into it correct place and now I have a little sliding door that I rarely use, but it works.

For those that have the problem you might want to pull your console and check the connector.

One thing that happened during the installation of the console was I somehow ran the battery dead. I have no idea on how that happened and without going into all my troubleshooting efforts, I recharged the battery and everything works perfectly. I'm assumming I must have grounded the cigar lighter during my installation, but it is really beyond me why it didn't blow a fuse rather than drain the battery. Again, I'm assumming I grounded the cigar lighter during the reinstallation. (Makes me wonder about all the dead batteries with the SC430 that I've read about on this forum) oh, it's a fairly new battery.

If anyone knows what I might have touched to cause that, please chime in.

Hope this helps others with the same door problem. May save you a few bucks by checking out the connector first prior to going to Lexus.

cheers,

lar

During the repair you had the doors open as well as the ignition key on [ Had to have the shifter and **** off and pulled out of park to slip the console wood top piece off. ] It does not take long to run the battery down,

Buddy

Quick Reply: SC430 Radio Display Repair