SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Radio Display Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 09:55 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mrblister for your input. I don't think the key ignition was on for more than 2-3 minutes. Only had to move into neutral once to get the console off. The whole project took about 30 minutes total and yes the door was open. I find it very odd the battery would go dead in that limited time. It seemed to happen all of a sudden and I just can't put my finger on how or why it would do that. Oh well, it's still charged today, but I am carrying a set of booster cables just in case. (:

BTW guys, the connector to the micro switch is on the bottom side of the micro switch assembly and if it's not placed into the slot firmly and clicks, then it is more than likely to fall out. The other thing worth mentioning is it is somewhat difficult to put the console back on with that connector attached so it is possible if someone has been in there they may inadvertently left it disconnected. Worth checking before going to Lexus dealer.

Cheers,

lar
Old 12-11-14, 07:18 PM
Unlisted
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus radio Problem

Originally Posted by Aceflash
I just purchase a 2002 SC430 with only two (minor) issues. First: the radio display does not work. Everything else is fine. The CD changer works, the radio works, the stearing column controls work. The display is blank. Lexus solution is 650$ for a new radio. Seems like there should be a simpler fix.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it.

Second the panel covering the display does not come down. I can pull it down, and it will go back up with the push of the button. But it will not go back down. Again lexus fix is 700$. I geuss Ican keep pulling it down for that price, but again has anyone else experienced this and how was it resolved.

I had the same problem with my display and door.
The solution is to disable the door application plug in back or the radio which is electrically conflicting with the circuit that actuates the display illumination module.
This is no longer obtainable as a new part.
Cut open the door gear box and configure it so you can easily pull the door up and down by hand like the ash tray cover.
The display will not turn off when the door is closed however when the radio is off, the display will turn off too.
Old 12-16-14, 08:21 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a lot of sc430 oem radio with door in the "Bay" for sale. One is even as low as $220 shipped. Worth a try.
Old 08-12-20, 08:45 PM
mirko61
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrblister
Here is the thread with the address

Hey guys,
For those of us who "braved" the "used" Lexus and/or bought new & perhaps no longer have a "warranty" on certain items (i.e. the radio/cd player) & who are "smart" with their money...despite having plenty to go around......listen up...here's a tip... I bought a 2002 SC430 in November without extended warranty. I love the car. However, unfortunately as anticipated since I didnt' pay $62,000 for it...only high $20s.. I did expect to incur some costs due to the "used" factor. Recently, my cd player jammed with the "ERROR 4" (which dont waste your time asking the dealer...this error message means..its beyond repair). They quoted me $595 to replace it with a refurb only (as thats how they do replacements with all Lexus players shockingly enough)! It would take 1 to 2 weeks to ship the refurb. from CA to NJ. Six to Eight weeks for them to unjam my original player & return my 6 cds. However, instead what I did was research a way to get this fixed cheaper. I found this place...its called United Radio, Inc. in Syracuse, NY. You can save even more if you know how to disconnect & reconnect..however I did not...so I took the car to the Lexus dealer they split the normal labor rate of $85 hr...instead charged me only 1/2 the labor rate to take it out & 1/2 the labor rate to put it back in. I shipped it for $15 to United Radio, in Syracuse, NY to fix. Once received it takes this company ONE day to fix!! & they warranty it for as long as the Lexus dealer will warranty their refurbs. United Radio charges a $250 flat rate & returns your discs in one day as well! They fixed the player & its awesome again Altogether with EVERYTHING.. labor to disconnect/reconnect, shipping cost, and fixing...cost me $350 as opposed to $595. I HIGHLY recommend this place! They have outstanding customer service & are lightening quick in repairing & arent ripping you off like our dealers!

Buddy
$20k for a 2002???
Pick one my friend..

Old 06-29-22, 03:55 PM
SCbob508
10th Gear

I’m having trouble with my Climate Control 2002 SC 430 no power to it or Navigation
Old 06-29-22, 04:09 PM
SCbob508
10th Gear

Little more info A/c was working fine when I got out of car. Heavy rain and flooding ran to my car started car try to adjust temp and blower but cold air stuck blowing on my wet feet. No controls or temp would work got home shut off car. Started the next day stilling blowing cold air on my feet. Disconnect my battery. The next day no A/C no l controls working on Climate control except fresh air and recirculate light.
Old 06-30-22, 02:47 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by SCbob508
Little more info A/c was working fine when I got out of car. Heavy rain and flooding ran to my car started car try to adjust temp and blower but cold air stuck blowing on my wet feet. No controls or temp would work got home shut off car. Started the next day stilling blowing cold air on my feet. Disconnect my battery. The next day no A/C no l controls working on Climate control except fresh air and recirculate light.
did you recently have any work done on the car?
have you started checking fuses listed in the owners manual…they are in several places.
other than your wet feet, did water get in the car…was the floor flooded?
Old 06-30-22, 04:48 AM
SCbob508
10th Gear

Tks last night I google the problem on this site someone listed all the fuses to check. Also check for a loose connection in back of the climate control unit.
Old 06-30-22, 05:32 AM
SCbob508
10th Gear

Sorry for not answering questions I’m the only working on car lately? Try to upload picture climate control but no luck yet. About 6 months ago my car was taking along time to start. Then starter started grinding. I have 158,000 miles timing hasn’t been changed since 70,000 miles. So I took to the local Lexus dealership. They show me where the flywheel was chip. Oil all around oil filter. Power steering fluid leaking. So to fix replacement timing belt,starter,flywheel, and fix oil leak $4300. They said deal with the power steering leak later. I was surprised to see the oil leak since I changed my oil and filter my self. Never seen oil on my driveway. Couple days later I clean under car. I tight bolts around oil filter and drain pan and replace clamp on power steering after driving about 115 miles no leaks. Starter not sounding good. I was working on my other car and put Sta-bil in it and decided to put some in my Lexus. I was so happy car starts right up no more grinding noise where starting was hitting flywheel from cranky to long. Did not tell any my friends at first so I didn’t jinx it. 3 months later no starter noise and starts right away. I now tell everyone to put some in your tank where you have problems or not. I wish I would have checked under my car before I took it to the dealership. I have SC 430 2002 someone tell me best power steering fluid to add. I hope this helps other people with their car.