SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Idiot Sticker Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-09, 12:37 PM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Idiot Sticker Removal

Got around to removing all the idiot stickers in the door jams so now I am living dangerously and must actualy think to protect myself.

With this new risky way of life I decided to go all out and remove the airbag warnings on the visors. Aparently, they are of a different material or adhesive.

Has anyone successfully removed these warnings without melting the visors? I am afraid to use a solvent like Goop Off since it could attack the vinyl.

Thanks for the help.

Living on the edge in NC
Surt
Old 06-19-09, 01:09 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by surteco
Got around to removing all the idiot stickers in the door jams so now I am living dangerously and must actualy think to protect myself.

With this new risky way of life I decided to go all out and remove the airbag warnings on the visors. Aparently, they are of a different material or adhesive.

Has anyone successfully removed these warnings without melting the visors? I am afraid to use a solvent like Goop Off since it could attack the vinyl.

Thanks for the help.

Living on the edge in NC
Surt
I've often thought about removing those annoying stickers , but like you never got the nerve to possibly ruin the visor. Hope someone out there has a solution that works !!
Old 06-19-09, 07:31 PM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I successfully removed the airbag warning stickers on my old Cadillac STS.
The technique, posted over at Cadillac Forums, was to use a hair dryer and
brake cleaner.
I saturated the label, then heated it with the dryer, whilst pulling on a corner of the sticker.
Worked like a charm ... you really couldn't tell where the visor had been located.
Old 06-22-09, 04:41 AM
surteco
Driver

Originally Posted by tcbted
I successfully removed the airbag warning stickers on my old Cadillac STS.
The technique, posted over at Cadillac Forums, was to use a hair dryer and
brake cleaner.
I saturated the label, then heated it with the dryer, whilst pulling on a corner of the sticker.
Worked like a charm ... you really couldn't tell where the visor had been located.
Did the brake cleaner not attack the vinyl? It is an agressive solvent. I use it to lubricate the double side tape when I regrip my golf clubs. Sounds like a tricky way to get these lables off.
Old 06-22-09, 07:13 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

we had a similar discussion awhile back and due to the 'imprinted' nature of these newer visor warnings, we figured that a removal attempt would either leave a discolored area (for older 430s) or really mangle the visor surface. the original warning vinyl labels were removable, but these new imprinted displays are pretty much there to stay. some have put color matched patches over the label, but even that could be a problem at resale. it's a law that the warnings must be visible.
Old 06-22-09, 08:25 AM
surteco
Driver

Originally Posted by jimmer!
we had a similar discussion awhile back and due to the 'imprinted' nature of these newer visor warnings, we figured that a removal attempt would either leave a discolored area (for older 430s) or really mangle the visor surface. the original warning vinyl labels were removable, but these new imprinted displays are pretty much there to stay. some have put color matched patches over the label, but even that could be a problem at resale. it's a law that the warnings must be visible.
Thanks, I agree, this is definitely not a vinyl peel off sticker. I think I will leave well enough alone.
Old 06-22-09, 11:34 AM
tcbted
Driver

Originally Posted by surteco
Did the brake cleaner not attack the vinyl? It is an agressive solvent. I use it to lubricate the double side tape when I regrip my golf clubs. Sounds like a tricky way to get these lables off.
I don't blame you for leaving well enough alone.
My STS was a 2001, and the visors/headliner were upholstered in a fake mousefur type of material. On the driver's side, I used a bit too much brake cleaner, and the upholstered surface appeared slightly matted. I applied less cleaner on the passenger visor, and it came up perfect.
There was no vinyl to attack ... the heat allowed me to pull off the sticker,
and the brake cleaner cleaned off any residue "goo" from the fabric.

My LS430 has suede upholstery on the visors .... I'm very hesitant to play
around with this material.
Old 06-22-09, 11:55 AM
tcbted
Driver

I did a search over at caddilacforums, and found this two year old thread.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ng-labels.html

People tried various methods of removing the residual glue which left a "matted" appearance on the visor. Two of us, Ranger and tedtcb (myselft), found that brake
cleaner successfully worked.

Hmmmm, I might have to try this on my LS.
Old 06-23-09, 12:49 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Now wait until they pass laws allowing cops to write tickets for cars that don't have those stickers.

Old 06-23-09, 04:20 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rcpeters

Now wait until they pass laws allowing cops to write tickets for cars that don't have those stickers.

With OBAMA Motors on the loose, it won't be long before its a federal offense (similar to taking off a mattress tag) to remove the sticker, they'll start the fining at $100/sticker and work their way up.
Old 06-26-09, 11:58 AM
SledDriver
Rookie

Acetone on a clean rag. Saturate the rag & hold against the sticker. After 20-30 seconds the sticker kind of flakes away. Rub off the remainder with clean sections of the rag.

Up close you can see the outline of where the stickers once were, but from a distance it's not noticeale. I can post pics later.
Old 06-26-09, 01:00 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SledDriver
Acetone on a clean rag. Saturate the rag & hold against the sticker. After 20-30 seconds the sticker kind of flakes away. Rub off the remainder with clean sections of the rag.

Up close you can see the outline of where the stickers once were, but from a distance it's not noticeale. I can post pics later.
By up close do you mean while sitting in the front seats, really how noticable is it? Thanks
Old 06-30-09, 10:04 AM
Bubba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I was the only one who hated those stickers! I remove mine by using a Goof Off product that removes dried latex paint. Soak an old (but clean) piece of cloth with the product, press it on a section of the sticker and hold it for about 10 seconds, and then start gently rubbing it off. It comes off in pieces and sometimes you can get a good chunk of it off. If not, you will have to rub the small bits that remain with the soaked cloth. Be sure to put a piece of newspaper on your lap since the small bits go flying and it's easy to just throw it away when you are done. If it is on hard plastic, it's really easy to remove. On the "mouse fur" like in my Audi, it was a little more difficult. You will see a faint outline of where the sticker was like a ghost, but it's certainly better than the sticker.
Old 06-30-09, 04:24 PM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

be careful, though. I've had Goof Off melt plastic, if rubbed too much.
although it sounds like Bubba has a tested system.
Old 07-01-09, 06:49 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I used the Goof Off product and heated up the visors first with a hair dryer, and everything went very well. Be careful because some solvents can melt the plastic, and a razor blade scraper can easily cut into the visor itself.
On other cars with fabric covered visors, this method does not work so well.