SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Vais SLU installation help

Old 06-15-09, 06:18 PM
02Ku
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vais SLU installation help

Folks -

I have checked out the CL and know how to install the Vais SLU. Everything is in place, however, when I try to set up the emulation mode (via FM), nothing happens.

For those of you who have installed it, I set the left of the two switches in the down position (right up), turn the car on to ACC, I hear the long beep followed by the short beeps. Then I turn the car back to off, flip the left switch up (both are up now) and then turn the car back to ACC.

At this point I click the FM button but nothing has happened. I do not see AUX 1 or 2.

What am I doing wrong.

I purchased the SLU from a fellow CL member and it was brand new (in the original packaging box never opened) so I know it was not damages. Also, I hear the beeps, so I know my head unit is recognizing the SLU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-28-09, 11:59 AM
02Ku
Driver

Eugene from Vais gladly replaced my unit, however, the same problem is still happening. Has anyone on the form ever run into issues with the Vais Install on a 2002 sc430?
Old 06-29-09, 09:38 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not exactly sure what to tell you, but I didn't want your thread to just hang out there, unanswered.

I've installed the SLU in my 2003 and an SLs in a 2006...and had no issues at all with the initial setup procedure.

When I first bought my Vais unit for my 2003, I got an SLI instead of an SLU by mistake. I tried the SLI and it would go through the initialization (the beeping), but I could never access it through the headunit. I exchanged it for the SLU and it worked fine.

This may sound like a really dumb question, but you're hitting the FM button several times, right? It should go from FM1 to "AUX" to FM2. While the unit has 2 AUX inputs, the display will only show "AUX". It goes from FM1 to the AUX1 input (but only says "AUX"...to FM2 then back to FM1 and then to AUX2 (but still only showing "AUX") to back to FM2 again. It's a little confusing. Also, make sure you use the FM button on the front of the radio, not the "Mode" button on the steering wheel to scroll through the inputs.

Since I only use one of the AUX inputs, I bought a couple of RCA Y-adapters from Radio Shack and have my audio input running to BOTH AUX1 and AUX2 on the SLU...that way, when it says "AUX", it works regardless.

I'm not sure if this was any help at all, but that's all I've got! Good luck.
Old 07-06-09, 12:46 PM
02Ku
Driver

Habious,

I have checked everything about 4 times now and it still has yet to work. I am definitely pressing the FM button to cycle through, but my headunit never cycles to AUX (1 or 2). One of these afternoons when I have time, I am going to call the Vais guys to see what they can do over the phone.

The only thing I can think of that may be interfering with the Vais is my xm radio which i have hard wired into the FM antenna using a FM modulator. Maybe the FM modulator some how interacts with the Vais unit. I tested this theory by completing removing my XM, yet the problem continue to exist.

We will see... Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-07-09, 10:38 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

I'll have to plead a bit ignorant here, but is the AUX option there (as a FM button response) prior to the VAIS installation or as a result of the installation (and presence of the VAIS)? The reason I ask is that I also have a '02 and the AUX does not come up as a result of the FM button press on mine. (I do not have a VAIS installed.)
Old 07-07-09, 10:53 AM
02Ku
Driver

The "AUX" option does not show up without the Vais Unit installed. I believe the firmware in the Vais Unit creates this as an option.

Talked to the guys at Vais and have been told that they have seen this problem a couple times before (another SC and a GS)

Ill have to send in the unit one more time to have an engineer look it over and hopefully fix the firmware.

Side Note: Vais has been extremely helpful through this process. Other than paying for shipping several times, definitely am pleased with their customer service.
Old 07-07-09, 12:15 PM
Habious

It really sounds like there's something wierd is going on. Maybe they have a new firmware that now makes the unit incompatible with the 02-04 headunits. I know they updated the firmware once before and it changed some funtionality on the 02-04 units (it changed how the "mode" button on the steering wheel worked - it now doesn't scroll through every mode, only some).
Old 01-18-11, 08:24 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was this ever resolved? Im sending my SLU in today because even though I hear the long beep and the several small ones and im following the instructions for special emulation word for word its not working....hope they can fix it fast.
Old 01-20-11, 10:44 AM
sdhedrick
Driver School Candidate

Hi. Not that I have any direct help for you, but I just wanted to share that I ordered that SLU a couple days ago and just got around to installing it last night. I have a 2002 SC430.

I followed the directions to the T pretty much. My installation experience:

1. pulled everthing out (including head unit).
2. Installed their cable harness. NOTE: I had to bend some of the pins around to get their female end to couple to the male end of the lexus cable harness (the larger 4 outside-most pins I had to bend down slightly).
3. Made sure the left most dip-switch was down and the right most switch up.
4. plugged everything in together and turned the key from off to ACC.
5. Heard a long beep and then several short ones (5? i think).
6. I then waited a few more seconds (not sure why) and then turned to key to off.
7. Set both switches up.

I then turned to car to ACC (I now here a single loud beep when I turn the key to ACC or start the car, which I assume has something to do with the SLU/programming it does?)... and when I hit the FM button over and over it goes: FM1 -> AUX (1.. although just AUX displays on my car) -> FM2 -> FM1 -> AUX (2) -> FM2. The same thing happens using the "mode" button on the steering wheel.

Yes, and before the installation, the FM would just go FM1 -> FM2 -> FM1... no AUX so the SLU definitely adds that logic in.

Sealed it all up and everything works great. I have a Sirius radio that is mounted in the ashtray that is plugged into one of the inputs and mounted a female 1/8th inch jack in the ashtray next to the sirius radio and wired that into the other input.

Love it! And I hope you can get yours working cause it really works wonderfully!

Scott
Old 01-20-11, 10:53 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm i wonder if it has anything to do with the pins...mine coupled together after a little bit a force but nothing major.

They recieved it today so hopefully its a quick turn around time until they can fix or update it and send it back since i dont have the AC controls pushed all the way in since that was the only pain in the whole installation process. I think im going to get Y adapter cables so that my AUX 1 and AUX 2 are both hooked up to my audio jack that will be hooked up to my ipod in the arm rest. Ill probably drill a small hole in the bottom of the armrest in order to get the wire up and into it without it being visable.
Old 09-13-12, 04:02 PM
iamsam9
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default VAIS SL2U for '03 SC430

According to VAIS, SLU was replaced by SL2U for '03 SC430.
I finally got the package and about to install.

Quick Question:

- do you press the parking brake, put the car in Neutral and then disconnect the negative terminal on the car battery?

- then, do you proceed to opening up the heat control panel, center console, the 2 10mm botls, AC unit removal, etc. ?

- install the VAIS per their instructions

- connect the negative terminal on the car battery

- pu the car in Park.

- follow the VAIS instructions to configure the AUX

thanks....sam.
Old 09-14-12, 07:00 AM
Habious

Sam,

I've installed several VAIS units...never pulled the neg battery terminal.

You can - it won't hurt.

But, I think it's unneccessary.

You'll need to put the car into at least Neutral (I usually put it all the way down to "1", so the gear selector lever is out of the way).

There are FOUR bolts holding the stereo in (2 on the top, behind the climate control module...and two on the bottom, behind the ashtray)

Be VERY careful when removing and installing the stereo head unit. The leather on the sides panels is VERY thin...and the stereo is both heavy and has sharp edges.
Old 09-14-12, 08:52 AM
iamsam9
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the car is in Neutral or "1" all the day down, then won't that discharge and drain more on the battery while doing the work? Unless you dis-connect it at that time?

On the sl2u cable, there's two ends....one for the head unit and the other is for the audio input.

where exactly do you connect these two ends?

into the head unit? if so, where are they located at?

thanks....sam
Old 09-14-12, 11:21 AM
Habious

If the car is in anything other than "Park", then the key had to be in the ignition and turned to at-least the ACC position....so yes, you'll be draining your battery a bit.

Along with the SLU cable, you should have received a Y-cable (3 ends - a male and 2 female).

You need to disconnect the plug from the back of the radio (there are 3 (I think) connectors on the back of the radio. Only one of them looks like the connector on the Y-cable).

- Plug the male end of the Y-cable into the back of the stereo
- Plug the cable that originally went into the radio (the one you just unplugged) into one of the female ends of the Y-cable.
- Plug one end (only one end will fit) of the SLU cable into the other female end of the Y-cable.
- Plug the other end of the SLU cable into the SLU.

That's it.

You kind-of can't get it wrong...or, at least you have to try pretty hard.

The connectors only go one way.
Old 09-14-12, 03:01 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When removing the four bolts that secure the radio, you will need an extension on your ratchet to access the bottom two. Just before they are backed all the way out, it is helpful to use a magnetic tool to secure the bolts. You don't want them to fall into the abyss. Use the magnet again to start the bolts when you re-install the radio. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vais SLU installation help