Old 05-24-09, 06:23 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ecru Leather Painting Before & After

Driver Seat Before

Driver Seat After

My Passenger Seat After

props to norman52 for sending me down the right track to redo my seats.
My SC is a 2002 so the seats are pretty worn down. I found my local SEM dealer and stopped by to get some SEM 15003 Phantom White Color Coat as normal52 suggested. While there they gave me a quick run through as to what to do. So I came out of the of the shop with 2 cans of SEM 15003 color coat aerosol, 1 can of clear, 1 can of solvent for $39 which is wholesale cost. I went out and bought a small bottle of isopropyl 70% alcohol. In hindsight I shoulda bought some leather crack filler. They said if I had a spray gun it would be better getting the water based paint but since I didnt I got the aerosol.

I took out both seats and armrest. Taped off what I needed and followed these steps.

1. Clean the leather with some soap and water
2. Use some Isopropal alcohol 70% and wipe down the leather a few times
3. User Superior Leather prep slp-p (smells like some strong solvent, works sort of like the alcohol but alot stronger)
4. Tape off what you want and spray the seat
5. #HWS - Hiwear topcoat satic gloss clear, (flexiable color coating permanent water base aerosol)
6. condition leather after its all dry

I still have half a can of 15003 Left over I went ahead and sprayed my armrest on the doors also. Everything looks brand new excep the driver seat you can still see cracks but as you can see on the passenger seat it looks brand new. same with the center and door arm rest. Took about 3 hours, but I put a ton of coats on the seats.
Old 05-25-09, 02:25 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Good job Tony, it looks great!

I gotta do mine later on this year
Old 05-25-09, 04:29 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r

Driver Seat Before

Driver Seat After

My Passenger Seat After

props to norman52 for sending me down the right track to redo my seats.
My SC is a 2002 so the seats are pretty worn down. I found my local SEM dealer and stopped by to get some SEM 15003 Phantom White Color Coat as normal52 suggested. While there they gave me a quick run through as to what to do. So I came out of the of the shop with 2 cans of SEM 15003 color coat aerosol, 1 can of clear, 1 can of solvent for $39 which is wholesale cost. I went out and bought a small bottle of isopropyl 70% alcohol. In hindsight I shoulda bought some leather crack filler. They said if I had a spray gun it would be better getting the water based paint but since I didnt I got the aerosol.

I took out both seats and armrest. Taped off what I needed and followed these steps.

1. Clean the leather with some soap and water
2. Use some Isopropal alcohol 70% and wipe down the leather a few times
3. User Superior Leather prep slp-p (smells like some strong solvent, works sort of like the alcohol but alot stronger)
4. Tape off what you want and spray the seat
5. #HWS - Hiwear topcoat satic gloss clear, (flexiable color coating permanent water base aerosol)
6. condition leather after its all dry

I still have half a can of 15003 Left over I went ahead and sprayed my armrest on the doors also. Everything looks brand new excep the driver seat you can still see cracks but as you can see on the passenger seat it looks brand new. same with the center and door arm rest. Took about 3 hours, but I put a ton of coats on the seats.
Great looking job, thanks for the pics! Does it matter what the temp is when you apply the different solvents and paint, did you work inside or out?? LOL
Old 05-25-09, 05:01 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good Tony!! I will be doing that next summer mos def. ......maybe sooner , lol.
Old 05-26-09, 07:30 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great Job Tony! I will be asking you about this soon. lol
Old 05-26-09, 01:37 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I did it outside in the garage due to over spray, the fumes and dust. Just spray some water down on the floor and put the garage down 3/4, but the vinyl spray dries almost instantly. so you dont want to wait long
Old 06-03-16, 07:00 AM
MsTrice430
Driver School Candidate

Default Did SEM paint hold up??

Hi Tony, I know this thread is old but how well did the paint hold up? I tried another brand of vinyl and interior spray it looked good for a few days but they inevitably started to crack. Im currently about to just replace the seat covers at a cost of $600! Which isnt that bad but sure cost more than paint. Just want to know if this is worth a try before I shell out that money. Im trying to prep my sc to sell. thanks!
Old 06-03-16, 07:49 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by MsTrice430
Hi Tony, I know this thread is old but how well did the paint hold up? I tried another brand of vinyl and interior spray it looked good for a few days but they inevitably started to crack. Im currently about to just replace the seat covers at a cost of $600! Which isnt that bad but sure cost more than paint. Just want to know if this is worth a try before I shell out that money. Im trying to prep my sc to sell. thanks!
Tony hasn't been on club Lexus in over a year.
Old 06-03-16, 07:55 AM
MsTrice430
Driver School Candidate

lol well thanks i was just wondering before i decided to shell out that $$. But i went ahead and ordered the oem seat covers so we will see how it goes *fingers crossed*
Old 06-03-16, 08:51 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow, I would have expected a much higher cost than $600 for replacement leather seat covers! Is that for both driver's and passenger's seats? I can't imagine the process required to remove and replace the covers--hopefully it's not too painful! Many on this site will want to know how hard the work is and how it all comes out. Good luck!
Old 06-04-16, 12:26 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MsTrice430
last 6m to a year but I would put a lot of coats on, and a thick clear
Old 06-10-16, 04:54 PM
Naniga600
Driver School Candidate

Looking good I need to do the drivers arm. Great idea!!
Old 06-11-16, 03:07 PM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone have experience with this:

https://www.amazon.com/2002-2010-Gen...=1&*entries*=0

Seems quite a reasonable price for a set of seat covers.
Old 06-11-16, 04:31 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by lexixel
Does anyone have experience with this:

https://www.amazon.com/2002-2010-Gen...=1&*entries*=0

Seems quite a reasonable price for a set of seat covers.
Yes, I got them as an un-official group buy a couple of years ago. ( $250 delivered ) Just had them installed this spring.

They are well made with quality leather. The pattern is pretty much exact to the original. There are a few concerns. The original seat heater pads must be removed and transferred over to the new leather. If is a bunch of work to do, so bringing it to a professional is a good idea. In ECRU, the color is slightly off ( more tan than parchment ). It is noticeable because the lower console, door trim and rear seats are still original.
Old 06-12-16, 01:10 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Yes, I got them as an un-official group buy a couple of years ago. ( $250 delivered ) Just had them installed this spring.

They are well made with quality leather. The pattern is pretty much exact to the original. There are a few concerns. The original seat heater pads must be removed and transferred over to the new leather. If is a bunch of work to do, so bringing it to a professional is a good idea. In ECRU, the color is slightly off ( more tan than parchment ). It is noticeable because the lower console, door trim and rear seats are still original.
Would you purchase again?
How much was the installation cost?
Does the seatbelt clip function correctly?

Quick Reply: Ecru Leather Painting Before & After