SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Jammed Nav Door Help (part deux)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 04:13 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jammed Nav Door Help (part deux)

A while ago I contributed to a thread that dealt with how to fix a jammed nav door, which seems to be a somewhat common problem w/some SCs.

Mine jammed again, and this time I discovered why the problem returned; there are 4 screws on either side of the nav housing, and two were missing from one side of my nav. These screws keep the entire housing tightly held together, and if even one screw is missing it can cause the nav door to slip out of it's rear track. I've attached a very crappy phone pic that shows the four screws on one side of the nav, for reference. The screws are gold-colored; there's one on the bottom right of the photo, near my hand, two in the middle and one more towards the upper-left of the photo.

Finally, here's an updated run-down of how to remove the nav unit:

Disconnect the battery to be safe.

First pull the air-vents on either side of the nav unit.
The left vent will come out if you carefully pull and wiggle at the same time. There are two plastic tongue-clips on the left of the vent and a metal clip on the right, so don't pull w/out wiggling the vent or the clip could break.
The right vent will pull out with a little wiggling as well. The entire wood-trim piece will come with it.

Next, pull out the climate control:
A good solid pull while holding it in the center will pop it out. Just let it hang by the wiring harness that's connected to it, or unplug the three connectors if it makes you feel better to get it out of the way entirely.

Now, undo the two phillips screws holding the nav unit in place at the top, and the two 10mm hex screws holding it in place at the bottom.
Be very careful while pulling the unit towards you; you can easily catch it on the 'leather' trim of your dash and tear it.

The nav door slides on two tracks on either side. Usually it comes out of one or both of these tracks and needs to be popped back into place. Another way it can jam is if the metal bar that holds the door in place pops out of it's two holding points (this will make much more sense when you're looking at it); first make sure the metal bar is securely holding the door on both sides, then pop the metal bar back into the two holding points.

You can slide the entire door mechanism forward and backward with your hand to see if everything is aligned properly and the door is no longer off-track or jamming.

Most importantly, make sure all four screws are tightly secured on either side of the housing, as shown in the picture. If they aren't all in place, the door will misalign again and jam.

Put everything back together again the reverse of how it was taken apart. Take your time repositioning the unit; it's a tight fit.
Attached Thumbnails Jammed Nav Door Help (part deux)-nav-removed-side-view..jpg  
Old 05-17-09, 03:26 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-29-11, 01:48 PM
pageme1911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks this is the iformation I needed! I will let you all know how it turns out.
Old 03-29-11, 02:10 PM
pageme1911
Driver School Candidate

Intdiomond, I wanted to know did your open and close buttons work as on and off while the door was jammed?

pageme1911

Last edited by pageme1911; 03-30-11 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 07:42 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pageme1911
Intdiomond, I wanted to know did your open and close buttons work as on and off while the door was jammed?

pageme1911
Yes, they worked; the problem was the door coming out of it's guide-track.
Old 09-13-11, 07:48 PM
NHsc430
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you!

Thank you Intdiamond! Mine was stuck and your instructions really helped!

John
Old 02-26-12, 08:51 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Thanks for this thread, was able to fix my navigation jam! I took some pictures of the process to help out.
Attached Thumbnails Jammed Nav Door Help (part deux)-20120226_192305.jpg   Jammed Nav Door Help (part deux)-20120226_192256.jpg   Jammed Nav Door Help (part deux)-20120226_192157.jpg   Jammed Nav Door Help (part deux)-20120226_191253.jpg   Jammed Nav Door Help (part deux)-20120226_191246.jpg  

Old 02-26-12, 08:52 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

a few more
Attached Thumbnails Jammed Nav Door Help (part deux)-20120226_190546.jpg   Jammed Nav Door Help (part deux)-20120226_190539.jpg   Jammed Nav Door Help (part deux)-20120226_190322.jpg   Jammed Nav Door Help (part deux)-20120226_190312.jpg  
Old 02-12-23, 09:31 AM
Droptop211
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by intdiamond
A while ago I contributed to a thread that dealt with how to fix a jammed nav door, which seems to be a somewhat common problem w/some SCs.

Mine jammed again, and this time I discovered why the problem returned; there are 4 screws on either side of the nav housing, and two were missing from one side of my nav. These screws keep the entire housing tightly held together, and if even one screw is missing it can cause the nav door to slip out of it's rear track. I've attached a very crappy phone pic that shows the four screws on one side of the nav, for reference. The screws are gold-colored; there's one on the bottom right of the photo, near my hand, two in the middle and one more towards the upper-left of the photo.

Finally, here's an updated run-down of how to remove the nav unit:

Disconnect the battery to be safe.

First pull the air-vents on either side of the nav unit.
The left vent will come out if you carefully pull and wiggle at the same time. There are two plastic tongue-clips on the left of the vent and a metal clip on the right, so don't pull w/out wiggling the vent or the clip could break.
The right vent will pull out with a little wiggling as well. The entire wood-trim piece will come with it.

Next, pull out the climate control:
A good solid pull while holding it in the center will pop it out. Just let it hang by the wiring harness that's connected to it, or unplug the three connectors if it makes you feel better to get it out of the way entirely.

Now, undo the two phillips screws holding the nav unit in place at the top, and the two 10mm hex screws holding it in place at the bottom.
Be very careful while pulling the unit towards you; you can easily catch it on the 'leather' trim of your dash and tear it.

The nav door slides on two tracks on either side. Usually it comes out of one or both of these tracks and needs to be popped back into place. Another way it can jam is if the metal bar that holds the door in place pops out of it's two holding points (this will make much more sense when you're looking at it); first make sure the metal bar is securely holding the door on both sides, then pop the metal bar back into the two holding points.

You can slide the entire door mechanism forward and backward with your hand to see if everything is aligned properly and the door is no longer off-track or jamming.

Most importantly, make sure all four screws are tightly secured on either side of the housing, as shown in the picture. If they aren't all in place, the door will misalign again and jam.

Put everything back together again the reverse of how it was taken apart. Take your time repositioning the unit; it's a tight fit.
Has anyone ran into trouble with the tilt of the screen,mine is stuck,no noise just stuck in the tilted position? Any info would be a great help! Is the tilt of the nav strictly motor or switch related.Thanks for your input,it is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-23, 11:23 AM
bmanone
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Droptop211,
I have a similar problem, mine tilts and the tilt control works, but the door doesn't close any longer. At some point I intend to check for cracked solder joints on the control boards.
Old 02-20-23, 04:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Droptop211
Has anyone ran into trouble with the tilt of the screen,mine is stuck,no noise just stuck in the tilted position? Any info would be a great help! Is the tilt of the nav strictly motor or switch related.Thanks for your input,it is greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by bmanone
Droptop211,
I have a similar problem, mine tilts and the tilt control works, but the door doesn't close any longer. At some point I intend to check for cracked solder joints on the control boards.
the motors can be replaced if they are bad…if you want to test them, remove the NAV screen and connect a 9v battery to each lead on the motors or connector going to the motors…if the motors move, you have a circuit board problem…
the door problem may be a simple fix…the assembly side screws come loose, I think there are 10 screws, and the door will come off the track.

you can always pick up a used unit on eBay.