SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ecru leather touch up

Old 07-12-09, 11:14 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No paint. Whatever they use to color the leather rubbed off. The rest of the leather is in incredible shape. Everything is original-no paint.
Old 07-12-09, 10:24 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solman
No paint. Whatever they use to color the leather rubbed off. The rest of the leather is in incredible shape. Everything is original-no paint.
Wow....one would think they would notice such a thing and find another product.
Old 07-17-09, 09:58 AM
olsliproc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat repair

i bought the paint or flexible agent what ever you want to call it. i did the driver seat the passanger seat and the center console. Looked amazing at first. Like actually new seats. after 3 weeks my passanger seat looked dirty and cracked again, I think the best application for this is the rear seats and the center console as these are less used parts. How many guys are looking to replace the faded center console elbow mark? I removed the entire piece and painted 4 coats and it looks great and is holding up well. this should be used when selling for sure to get a bigger buck
Old 08-23-09, 02:09 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Just got my two cans of spray paint from Amazon! Many thanks to Norman for this thread.

Quick question for you guys with Ecru interior. Has any one of you tried the paint on the carpet area, where it gets dirty with stains? If so, what was your result?

Jon
Old 08-24-09, 11:57 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by intdiamond
Anyone know if they make this product to match the saddle interior, too? What is the color called? Thanks.
+1M
I may contact the manufacturer, too, to see if they know what the match is.

BTW, thanks to all for this thread. There's hope for my seats!
Old 08-24-09, 01:58 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
Just got my two cans of spray paint from Amazon! Many thanks to Norman for this thread.

Quick question for you guys with Ecru interior. Has any one of you tried the paint on the carpet area, where it gets dirty with stains? If so, what was your result?

Jon
I've got ecru, please let me know, never thought to use it on carpet, possibly a great idea
Old 08-24-09, 06:51 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3

Jon
I bought black floor mats for my car (ecru interior). They go well with the rest of the interior's black accents, and always look better than my old ecru mats ever did, even after a fresh cleaning.
Old 08-24-09, 08:01 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Yeap Excellent suggestion. I've had black mats in my car for a while and I think I might have gotten the idea from you before.

The problem is, what about the carpeted area where the mats don't cover?

Jon

Originally Posted by PHXSC
I bought black floor mats for my car (ecru interior). They go well with the rest of the interior's black accents, and always look better than my old ecru mats ever did, even after a fresh cleaning.
Old 08-25-09, 08:47 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Okay so I've finally bitten the bullet and did my driver's side leather seat today.

The job was easy enough, as I simply wiped off the excess dirt on the seat with mild alcohol/water before I started spraying it with paint.

A few things that I've learned from this process:

1. Unless your SC430 has less than 10k miles with minimal exposure to the sun, there's no way that you can simply paint just a portion of the seat. It's going to look patched up.

2. After the paint job the cracks on the leather surface will be gone (filled up) for good. The leather is going to look almost just as good as new.

3. The whole seat took about an entire can of spray: Having a spare bottle is always a good idea.

4. Unfortunately, the freshly painted seat looks so new that it makes my almost perfect original passenger seat look parchment like in comparison. I consider it a drawback but I don't think it would be wise for me to spend the time to waste another spray can on my still mint passenger seat.

5. In my opinion, the paint's durability should be pretty bullet proof. After comparing it with the painted seat, I've finally discovered that my somewhat fresh looking left side armrest was most likely painted with the same product in the past. The paint on the armrest has held up exceptionally well, even after a couple years of cleaning/conditioning with Lexol products.

For a little more than $10 each can, I am pretty satisfied with the result. I suspect that even if I had spent the dough to get a brand new seat, the color may still be slightly off anyway.

I did take a bunch of pictures with my cell phone but stupid me, I've just realized that I've misplaced my cords and software disc. I'll have to find a way to upload these pictures later.

Thanks again for sharing with us this wonderful product Norman.

Jon
Old 08-28-09, 03:37 PM
piggieback
Driver

I have a 2002 lexus ls-430, I have the ivory colored interior, will this paint match or did lexus use different colors for different models?, thanks.
Old 08-28-09, 05:20 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The question about carpet--try Tuff Stuff. It is great on auto carpet and have used it many times with lots of success. Hi Jon--we need to get together again to compare our 430's since last year.

John
Old 08-28-09, 05:29 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Hey John,

Thanks for the recommendation!

I was just talking to Steve at Lux. Motorwork about you this other day. As soon as I have a chance I may just have them do the lux link for my SC.

Yeap. It'd be nice to have another SC mini meet one of these days. I am sure by then, you'll find at least 2 billion more rock chips on my hood since the last time you saw my car.

Jon

Originally Posted by Solman
The question about carpet--try Tuff Stuff. It is great on auto carpet and have used it many times with lots of success. Hi Jon--we need to get together again to compare our 430's since last year.

John
Old 08-28-09, 10:03 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by piggieback
I have a 2002 lexus ls-430, I have the ivory colored interior, will this paint match or did lexus use different colors for different models?, thanks.
If the "ivory" you refer to is actually "Ecru," then it should be the same color as the paint discussed when this thread began.
Old 08-29-09, 10:20 AM
piggieback
Driver

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
If the "ivory" you refer to is actually "Ecru," then it should be the same color as the paint discussed when this thread began.
I'm pretty sure its the ecru color, I have an 02 ls-430 ultra with the light interior and perforated leather, thanks.
Old 09-06-09, 04:27 PM
piggieback
Driver

Great stuff, made my arm rest and door handle look brand new, can't praise this product enough. Just make sure you use conditioner about 3 hours after application, leaves the leather feeling moist and new.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecru leather touch up