SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Potential SC430 owner: Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-09, 04:58 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Potential SC430 owner: Some questions

My brother bought a BMW 325 convertible (2004 or 2005, I think) within the last year and I sort of got the bug for a convertible. I'm married with a daughter and I've been all over the place with various ideas for what to get. We bought a used '99 Lexus RX300 around 2001 or 2002 which has served us well for many years. It was really meant for my wife, but I'm currently stuck with it (at about 160k miles). The power locks are flakey, and there are some other issues, but for the miles, there are no major issues, so I really can't complain. I've always been a fan of Japanese cars, and I once owned a '91 Toyota MR2 which I absolutely loved, and later an '07 Mazda RX-8, which was also great.

I've considered the BMW 3-series, the Audi A4 cabrio (Quattro preferred), Saab 9-3 convertible, Mini Cooper convertible, VW EOS, and probably others I'm forgetting. I've always loved the look of the SC430, though, and considering the Lexus/Toyota/Japanese reliability, I'm thinking that a 2002 SC430 would probably be less expensive in the short/medium/long-term than a BMW or Audi (or many of the others I mentioned).

A couple of concerns I have:
1) I really want something with back seats. This has kept me away from the impulse-buy of a Toyota MR2 or Mazda Miata. I know that most of the other cars on my list probably have better back seat space foot room than the SC430, and a quick search in the forums has revealed several complaints from users indicating that the back seats are "useless" but I'd love to hear some opposing opinions on this. Anyone care to share any success stories about the back seats? If that's asking too much, how about at least some reassurance that my 10-year-old can fit in there with the front passenger seat pushed forward with no one complaining? And, if that's asking too much, how about just lying to me and telling me what I want to hear?

2) Along the lines of #1, I'm concerned about trunk space. I read somewhere that you could fit a "sport" golf bag in there, but searches here have indicated that the trunk storage (with the top down) was not sufficient for that. Again, any positive/reassuring opinions on this?

3) I'm also reading that the SC430 is more luxury car than sports car. I'm not so concerned about acceleration and top speed, but I really like good handling and feeling "one with the road". Are there any inexpensive upgrades that can be done to improve that?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-24-09, 05:35 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, welcome to CL.

If you do pick an SC430, you will be happy. It's extremely well-made and reliable, with timeless looks and great performance.

To keep it short;

1) Back seats; they're there for holding grocery bags, small packages and a second golf bag (see #2). Unless you're extremely vertically challenged, you will have to slide your seat forward for even the smallest feet to be able fit in the back. So, unless your daughter is still an infant and rides in a car-seat, you're outa luck.

2) Golf bag; I keep a full-size cart-bag in the trunk, with the top down, no problem (I'm fairly certain Lexus designers are golfers).

3) Sport/Luxury car; a Corvette it's not, but the SC is very sporty, and if you want to be 'one w/the road', just make sure you're not running on the stock run-flat tires that many SCs came with (they suck). As far as mods, I suggest you use the search function and you'll be busy reading for many days about all the mods CL members have done.

Go with an SC and good luck
Old 04-24-09, 05:44 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Thanks for the reply. One follow-up question:

Regarding rear leg-room. If the passenger front seat slides all the way forward, is there not a usable amount of rear leg-room behind that seat for a 10-year-old or "uncomfortable" adult?
Old 04-24-09, 05:46 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott R
Thanks for the reply. One follow-up question:

Regarding rear leg-room. If the passenger front seat slides all the way forward, is there not a usable amount of rear leg-room behind that seat for a 10-year-old or "uncomfortable" adult?
Yes.... just make sure nobody's in the passenger seat when you slide it all the way forward LOL
Old 04-24-09, 05:59 PM
jgreezy
Rookie

Default back seat

Hello there and welcome. As far as the back seat I have an 8 y/o neice, and a 10 y/o nephew behind my wife's seat is ok (she's short) behind my seat its a little uncomfortable to drive not too bad. they're just excited to ride in it so they dont complain.
Old 04-24-09, 06:03 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Is it safe (and/or comfortable) for a single child to sit side-ways in the backseat?
Old 04-24-09, 06:05 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

And another follow-up question...if it's just my wife and I going away for a vacation on a long weekend to a nearby state, can we fit/squeeze some small/usable luggage in the trunk with the top-down?
Old 04-24-09, 09:48 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Yes, kids can fit in the back seat. I've even carried some good sized adults for a short jaunt. The seat back are straight upright, which is kind of uncomfortable. The seat doesn't have to be very far forward to have some feet space.

With the top down, you can put 2 or 3 small bags (19" roll around maybe) in the trunk. With the top up, you can actually carry quite a load for a roadster. It is a pretty good sized trunk for a sporty car when the top is up. You can also carry stuff in the back seat, but then it is visible through the windows and you don't want to leave stuff in the back seat when you are travelling, even with a hardtop.

You'll find that most, if not almost all, of the SC430 owners love their cars, or at least the ones on this forum seem to be that way. I do.
Old 04-24-09, 10:47 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

The best thing to do is to go by any Lexus dealer and check out a used SC. They almost always have a few. Sit in the back, look in the trunk when the top is down, etc. All your questions will be answered immediately, and you'll have fun at the same time. Be sure and drive one to see what you think about the ride. It might not be what you're expecting. And drive with the top UP, not just with the top down.

Besides no leg room for an average sized person, the back seat also has no head room. I got in my back seat one time and I had to lean forward to keep my head from hitting the top.

I'd say the SC is NOT adequate to use regularly for people (even kids). However, people can sit back there if they absolutely HAVE to for short distances. Otherwise, consider it a two-seater only.....which is a blast to drive.
Old 04-25-09, 04:21 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Well yesterday I felt like I was definitely leaning towards the SC 430. The back seat and trunk space is a concern, and so I'd like to check one out first-hand. Unfortunately, I'm now realizing that I have another problem. There aren't any within 2 hours of me! Well, actually, I did find *one* dealer just under 2 hours away, and a couple of private sales within 1.5 hours. But that doesn't give me much choice, and I hate to haul so far away only to possibly find out that there's a problem with it.
Old 04-25-09, 04:22 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have taken two grandkids for a very short ride. My wife had her seat foward and wasn't real cramped. (she is 5' 2") The grand kids were 12 and 9, I'm 5' 9" and sit way back, I was very uncomfortable, but it was just a short trip. Good Idea going to the dealer and test fit your golf bag. I was having my 5000 mile serve done on our ES 350 and I walked into the dealership like I was playing through, and test fitted my bag. Not a sport or pro bag just a regular bag with legs and put it in. I find it easier to put the bag in and then lower the top rather than have the top down and putting it in. We also considered an Eos I couldn't get a bag in any which way other than putting in the back seat w/the top down and I won't do that, but it does have a sunroof (a+)
Luggage will fit but you will have to get small cases or pack in matching grocery bags.
When you go to the dealership check and see how much room there between the top and the back of the car. By the way it became her car and she loves it. I think I would go before the car goes.
Old 04-25-09, 04:27 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Scott R
And another follow-up question...if it's just my wife and I going away for a vacation on a long weekend to a nearby state, can we fit/squeeze some small/usable luggage in the trunk with the top-down?
There's plenty of room for two twenty inch leather bags in the back seat, I usually put a small cooler in the trunk and misc items Tell your wife to pack light and you'll be OK. Once you purchase an SC you'll find any small matter not a great concern, wait to you hear all the compliments you receive !! IT"S A GREAT CAR !!
Old 04-25-09, 04:48 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Looks like buying out of state could be a real pain the butt, unless you all have some suggestions. According to the CT DMV site, it sounds like I need to get a temporary registration from them which requires showing them proof of sale, etc. That would mean if I was buying from somewhere 2 hours away, I'd have to go once to check it out and pay for it, then go home to get the temporary registration, and drive back again to actually get the car and drive it home.

I suspect that a dealer might be willing to do some of this work for me and meet me half-way for pick-up, but private sales would probably be a problem. I don't like the idea of paying someone for a car and then leaving it with them for a day or two.
Old 04-25-09, 05:01 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Well, I thought of another idea. I guess I could take my current CT license plate and put it on the new car, just to drive it back home. What kind of trouble/fine could I be looking at if I was pulled over or got in an accident on the way back? Would my insurance still cover me? I've also still got my old PA plate (we moved back to CT in October and I haven't gotten around to sending the PA plate back to PA), so perhaps I could even stick that on there.
Old 04-25-09, 06:07 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Another solution is to wait a few weeks; the IS 250C and IS 350C will be available in May. These are hardtop convertibles, but I would think having one of them (the difference is in the engine) would put to rest all three of your concerns, as the IS is a larger car than the SC, and designed to be more sporty than luxurious (much like the 3 series BMW, its target competition). Prices start at $40,000.00 and $44,000.00.

Quick Reply: Potential SC430 owner: Some questions