SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TPMS Sensors

Old 07-21-12, 01:24 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jzwu
Do you have personal experience with this system? I read mixed reviews on amazon.
I have run Orange Electronics system for 1.5 years and it works great ! Big improvement over stock. I would suggest ditching the stock system for this one even if it wasn't malfunctioning. A must have if you have upgraded your rims. its very accurate.
Old 10-06-12, 11:57 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
if you're going to go that rout, it's very easy to unplug the system and not have to look at the light. you might get the ring later on too, which is extremely annoying. here are the directions from the stickied thread:

- put shifter on N, screw off shifter
- open up center console
- pull the whole heated seat module straight up, it will come up. disconnect
- you will be able to pull up the "back" part of the shift plate area (close to center console)
- once it's up, the only point holding it are two clips right below the radio
- pull the shift plate towards the back of the car and a bit angle up. jiggle a bit and it will come off
- once it's out, you will see the TPS unit right below the radio
- unplug BOTH plugs, one small on the right and one bigger one on the left
- put everything back and enjoy

Well I know for a fact that this method does NOT work for my 2008 SC. Any other suggestions that doesn't involve tape?
Old 03-20-13, 08:07 PM
cpkoch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
the battery died in one of mine before i replaced my wheels and disabled the TPS system. but yes, lexus makes a lot of money off them.
I refuse to use sensors as it is just another was to help make dealers rich. I can not help but believe that dealer lobbyists were working hard to get the Govt to pass legislation requiring TPMS. Mine is a 2005 SC430. I'm told I can get away legally w/o the sensors. While that may be the case, I am 150% irritated that the TPMS dashboard lamp is always lit. I have tried the reset techniques and the thing stays lit. Can I Pull the lamp or interupt the current somehow from getting to the lamp? I really would love to turn the darn thing off!
Old 03-21-13, 03:17 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by cpkoch
I refuse to use sensors as it is just another was to help make dealers rich. I can not help but believe that dealer lobbyists were working hard to get the Govt to pass legislation requiring TPMS. Mine is a 2005 SC430. I'm told I can get away legally w/o the sensors. While that may be the case, I am 150% irritated that the TPMS dashboard lamp is always lit. I have tried the reset techniques and the thing stays lit. Can I Pull the lamp or interupt the current somehow from getting to the lamp? I really would love to turn the darn thing off!
WOW I know some people don't want to do a search but this has to be worst. Look at the stickies at the top of this forum!
Old 03-22-13, 10:41 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Like iolmaster said, look in the stickies for the disconnection method. You won't be able to just shut the light down until the bad sensor is replaced. So you will have to disconnect the cable if you want the light to go out without a repair.
Old 03-23-13, 03:53 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Like iolmaster said, look in the stickies for the disconnection method. You won't be able to just shut the light down until the bad sensor is replaced. So you will have to disconnect the cable if you want the light to go out without a repair.
...hey guys I have another question on this matter. I've had my car about 4yrs and the light is on. When I bought it, the individual I purchased it from, took it in and had it turned off. After about a month, it was back on. I've had 3 tires go low/flat on me since I've owned the car, but the warning buzzer always alerted me. The light doesn't bother me, but sometimes wonder what the issue might be...any suggestions ???
Old 03-23-13, 04:21 PM
Juli
Rookie

If your light blinks for one minute then stays solid upon starting it means one of the sensors is bad. If it doesn't blink but goes straight to solid it means the sensors need to be reprogrammed.
Old 03-24-13, 06:18 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Juli
If your light blinks for one minute then stays solid upon starting it means one of the sensors is bad. If it doesn't blink but goes straight to solid it means the sensors need to be reprogrammed.
Maybe I misunderstand your second sentence. When mine goes straight to solid it means one of my tires needs air.
Old 03-24-13, 03:02 PM
Juli
Rookie

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Maybe I misunderstand your second sentence. When mine goes straight to solid it means one of my tires needs air.
Hmm, when mine went solid it was after I got new wheels and tires. It meant they had to be reprogrammed by Lexus. We did check all the pressures and then looked in the manual. Mine is an 08.
Old 03-24-13, 07:18 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Juli
Hmm, when mine went solid it was after I got new wheels and tires. It meant they had to be reprogrammed by Lexus. We did check all the pressures and then looked in the manual. Mine is an 08.
Here's one way to think about it: when the light is on solid, it means that the car and the sensors are not communicating properly - i.e. maybe reprogramming is needed in some cases. In my case, I have two sets of rims/tires/TPMS programmed into my car. When I changed out my winter set to my all season set this morning, I purposely did not flip the switch near the glove box to test if my TPMS light would light up. After 15 miles or so of driving, true enough my TPMS light was on solid even though I knew my tire pressure was 35 psi all round. And when I pressed my switch near the glove box to flip to my all season setting, after a restart and a few minutes, the solid amber light went out. Which means my all season set of TPMS was indeed talking to the car as programmed.

To explain Juli's point about a flashing amber lamp: Once when I had a tire blow out ( running RFT's at that time ), the amber lamp was flashing and I had an irritating beeping to indicate I was running on zero air pressure. The TPMS was indeed programmed into the car properly at the time, because if it had not been programmed, then it would have been a solid amber light.

But one additional point to note, when I have low air pressure ( not running on zero pressure, just perhaps 26 or 25 psi cos my trigger is set at 27 psi ), I sometimes get a solid lamp after a few flashes. This probably what Juli is referring to earlier as well.
Old 03-24-13, 07:27 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...hey guys I have another question on this matter. I've had my car about 4yrs and the light is on. When I bought it, the individual I purchased it from, took it in and had it turned off. After about a month, it was back on. I've had 3 tires go low/flat on me since I've owned the car, but the warning buzzer always alerted me. The light doesn't bother me, but sometimes wonder what the issue might be...any suggestions ???
Maybe one of the sensors is dead ? How old are the sensors ?
Old 03-24-13, 11:05 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
Maybe one of the sensors is dead ? How old are the sensors ?
...that was my first thought originally, but I lowered the pressure on each tire( at different times) to see if I would get the warning flash & buzz. Each time the system worked as it should, so I didn't look into reprogramming them.
Old 03-25-13, 06:20 AM
cpkoch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iolmaster
WOW I know some people don't want to do a search but this has to be worst. Look at the stickies at the top of this forum!
Can you define what the heck is a "Sticky".
Old 03-25-13, 07:22 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cpkoch
Can you define what the heck is a "Sticky".
When you Go to the main SC430 Forum listing pages you will find that there are several (6 currently) threads "stuck" at the top of the listings. You will see one of them is for TPMS.

See main listing here; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-430-63/

JR
Old 03-25-13, 10:56 AM
Juli
Rookie

I'm sure there are many different reasons for the light. I was just saying what my recent experience was.

Got new wheels from non-Lexus.
Light was solid, no flashing.
Lexus reprogrammed my sensors.
Light off.

Light was blinking for one minute, then solid.
One of my sensors was bad.
Lexus replaced it. I have non-run flats now and really like having the sensors, so I replaced it.
Light off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS Sensors