SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TPMS Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 11:25 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jason702
if you're going to go that rout, it's very easy to unplug the system and not have to look at the light. you might get the ring later on too, which is extremely annoying. here are the directions from the stickied thread:

- put shifter on N, screw off shifter
- open up center console
- pull the whole heated seat module straight up, it will come up. disconnect
- you will be able to pull up the "back" part of the shift plate area (close to center console)
- once it's up, the only point holding it are two clips right below the radio
- pull the shift plate towards the back of the car and a bit angle up. jiggle a bit and it will come off
- once it's out, you will see the TPS unit right below the radio
- unplug BOTH plugs, one small on the right and one bigger one on the left
- put everything back and enjoy
Is this to get rid of the TPMS altogether???!
Old 04-16-09, 12:04 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tensi
Is this to get rid of the TPMS altogether???!
more or less. unplug the system and you get no warning lights or ringing. i did it when i changed my wheels. they wanted $100 per wheel just to switch the sensors from my old wheels to the new.
Old 04-16-09, 12:40 PM
cdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

Thanks for your feedback on this, it has been really helpful. I haven't decided what direction I will go at this point. My plan was to swap out the old and install in the new. But knowing I have an 02' and they'll be dead soon may not be worth my time. I might just bite the bullet and buy new for new wheels given I really don't wont to go through modding anything.

The wheels should be in tomorrow for install. I'll post pics. 65 degrees and sunny tomorrow, I'm excited!!
Old 04-16-09, 02:04 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by cdog
Guys,

Thanks for your feedback on this, it has been really helpful. I haven't decided what direction I will go at this point. My plan was to swap out the old and install in the new. But knowing I have an 02' and they'll be dead soon may not be worth my time. I might just bite the bullet and buy new for new wheels given I really don't wont to go through modding anything.

The wheels should be in tomorrow for install. I'll post pics. 65 degrees and sunny tomorrow, I'm excited!!
are you switching to non-runflat tires? the main reason we have tire pressure sensors in our cars is because you can't tell by looking if you have a flat tire with runflats. without the sensors, you'd drive until it was too late to repair the tire. with regular tires, it's pretty obvious when one is low. so there's not much need for the TPS. at least not enough to justify spending $400+ in my opinion. as far as "modding" goes, i wouldn't really consider unplugging the unit a mod. i was a bit hesitant to try it at first, but it's even simpler than the directions make it look. it's a 5 minute job.
Old 04-16-09, 02:32 PM
cdog
Driver School Candidate

are you switching to non-runflat tires? the main reason we have tire pressure sensors in our cars is because you can't tell by looking if you have a flat tire with runflats. without the sensors, you'd drive until it was too late to repair the tire. with regular tires, it's pretty obvious when one is low. so there's not much need for the TPS. at least not enough to justify spending $400+ in my opinion. as far as "modding" goes, i wouldn't really consider unplugging the unit a mod. i was a bit hesitant to try it at first, but it's even simpler than the directions make it look. it's a 5 minute job.
Jason,

Thanks for the heads up. Now that you say that I might actually try out unplugging it as im not doing runflats. $400 chucks is more than I want to throw away.
Old 04-17-09, 09:27 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

more or less. unplug the system and you get no warning lights or ringing. i did it when i changed my wheels. they wanted $100 per wheel just to switch the sensors from my old wheels to the new.
Thanks! You saved me on this one. I hate the tpms. Is this an easy DIY for a DIY idiot such as myself?
Old 04-17-09, 09:35 AM
Yes

Thanks! You saved me on this one. I hate the tpms. Is this an easy DIY for a DIY idiot such as myself?
it's very easy. i just set my laptop in the passenger seat and went step by step. it literally took 5 minutes.
Old 01-31-12, 07:24 PM
dfwgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by norman52
It is possible to change the battery but it is not easy for the unskilled. A dremel tool or sharp picks to get through the cover are required

reviving this thread, did this method of dremeling and replacing the battery work for you? I tempted to try it this weekend between replacing my tires...
Old 02-02-12, 04:36 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replace the OEM system with this:

Orange Electronic P409S Retrofit Tire Pressure Monitoring System

on Amazon for $108. It has digital readouts for both temp and pressure.

Check pics in this link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ifes-02-a.html
Old 02-02-12, 05:35 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have personal experience with this system? I read mixed reviews on amazon.
Old 02-02-12, 07:14 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been running the Orange TPMS since this summer and they work flawlessly. I hardwired mine into the SC rather than using the power adapter plug (see link below). Any negative reviews I've seen are consistent with power interruptions when the power adapter wiggles in the socket. Works better than the stock system (I know which tire needs attention) at a fraction of the cost.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...elec-tpms.html

Last edited by kjcole; 02-02-12 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-19-12, 10:52 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Habious

I don't know if you're planning to but, if you're going to keep the old tires/wheels as winter tires, I'd suggest you keep the sensors in those and buy a new set for the new wheels. The SC430 is setup to handle 2 sets of TPMS sensors (there's a switch in the glove box to toggle between the two sets of sensors).
How does the toggle work? Meaning, is it possible to make just the fronts active? I know one of my rear sensors is bad and would like to retain as much of the tpms as possible without looking at that stupid light on the dash.
Old 03-19-12, 10:55 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Another question, I searched the forum, but no threads came up....

Dealer tells me in order to check which sensor is bad, there is no computer orientated way of doing so. They said they must dismount the tire from the wheel and check the actual sensors. True?

Appreciate the help everyone. I hate the stupid warning light on now, but want to retain the system cause if I get a flat, it stills makes the beeping sound.
Old 03-19-12, 11:45 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

How does the toggle work? Meaning, is it possible to make just the fronts active? I know one of my rear sensors is bad and would like to retain as much of the tpms as possible without looking at that stupid light on the dash.
As far as I know, no...you can't do that.

The toggle switch is designed with the idea of someone having 2 completely separate sets of tires (like a winter set and a summer set), with TPMS sensors in all wheels.
Old 07-21-12, 11:15 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

How does one know which of the four sensors has gone bad?

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensors