SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Prospective Buyer Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 07:07 AM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective Buyer Help

Hello Everyone. I am a new register to this forum and I want to give a shout out while seeking direction.

In the next two days I plan to purchase a 2002 or 2003 SC430. I love everything about the car, especially its reliability. I simply want one and am prepared to purchase.

But in reading the threads here I became terrified last night that caused me to look at other cars.

It is my understanding that Lexus is discontinuing the SC430 and/or changing the body style. This causes me great concern because I always buy used cars and I seek the models that do not have major body and styling changes so that if you get an earlier model and it is really in great shape people (the general populace cannot date your car. they do not know if you have an old car or new car, as long as your car is clean and fresh. This is one of the major reasons why I was considering the SC 430

Now I find out that they are going to change the style completly next year. this frightens me because I went thru this kind of thing once before. I had a sports benz and it was an earlier dated model that ran true to all of the later models. Benz drastically changed the styling of the car that immediately made my car appear dinnasorish. In other words my car was instantly dated and exposed as an older car.

Do, I run the same risk here with the SC 430 if I purchase the 2002 now. the one i am supposed to purchaee on Tuesday has 35,000 miles and I wanted to keep it for years. But now I am fightened abot being dated with the body change. Are you guys similarly concerned and should I stilll go forward with the purchase.

Again, thank you everyone and hello to all from a new member
Old 04-12-09, 07:37 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

TBH the SC430 has been discontinued for a while. No major updates since 2006, pretty old dated technology by todays standards, even the sat nav software was not updated to current cars lower in the line up. Never got the 460 engine.

There wont be a direct replacement and I would imagine the SC badge wont be used again for a number of years.

All in all probs good news for you, being discontinued and not replaced keeps its stature and not shadowed by its successor. Even if a new SC does appear I think it will be vastly different much like the the previous SC (soarer, sc300, sc400, sc 2.5 twin turbo)
Old 04-12-09, 08:37 AM
Wheel Dr
Rookie

The beauty of buying an older sc is you save oodles of cash and still look good doing it. People will think your rich,and then you pull up to a new camry and think, I could have had one of those,NAH!I was at AAA getting some maps and they had a few hybrids out there priced at what I paid for my SC, one of the female employees took a sign out by the road to advertise cruises and had to walk between the cars. I said I should just put a for sale tag on my sc because I paid the same they were advertising these used hybrids for, she dropped her jaw and said that was only 2 grand more than she paid for her xterra and then I told her it was a convertable. Then she wanted a ride!
Old 04-12-09, 08:54 AM
SrWilliams
Driver

I am really appreciating these comments because i was all set to fly and pick up my SC on Tuesday and got concerned about getting dated with the changing of the body style.

I hope I am not dating myself when i purchase. So, I take it that everyone says still go forward as I will still look up to date with the 2002
Old 04-12-09, 09:29 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

the SC430 look is exceptional and will become more precious as the years go on.
it is a present day classic.
my '04 430 will be on the road and in my garage for many years of great driving to come.
it's the only car I've owned that I actually enjoy waxing and buffing.
doing so really gives you an appreciation of the car's form.

enjoy your 430 experience and welcome aboard, matey.
Old 04-12-09, 09:55 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome.

You have to remember, they are still making this car in 2009 and it looks almost exactly like the 2002. So if a 2002 starts looking dated, a 2009 will as well. It's all relative.

The thing about the SC 430 is that it's a classic style which I don't think will ever look "dated". When I see a 1972 Corvette, I don't think of what a dated car it is, I think, "Wow, look at that."

It's unavoidable that Lexus is definitely going to come out with an updated body style someday. They actually already have. See here....

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_a_roadster.html
and here
http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_a.html

But who knows when it will be and who knows how much they will cost. If you've got $75,000 to $100,000 available to buy a new one, sure, I'd wait. If you don't, then paying low 20's for a still beautiful SC 430 would never be considered a "bad idea".

The "looking dated" problem is going to be there no matter which car you get. But with the classic style of the SC, I think people are going to be appreciating it for years to come. In fact, there's another thread on this forum that talks about the way Infiniti's new G-37 looks very much like the SC 430. The G-37 is their hottest model to date. They wouldn't be making it if it didn't still look cool and modern. But it comes nowhere close to the SC 430, especially the interior. Aside from a Bentley, NO car comes close to the 430's interior, and that includes Benz' SL 500.
Old 04-12-09, 12:45 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

one nice thing about the sc430 is that it's a very low production car. they only sell a few thousand in the US every year. so people aren't used to seeing them every day. with a few modifications, it looks even more unique. a nice 2002 will hold it's own in the looks department against any new mercedes, bmw or infinity. unless you really know your cars, you'd have no idea it isn't new.

as far as an actual body change, i don't expect one anytime soon. i think the sc will be discontinued after the current model year, and won't be reintroduced for 2-3 years. possibly longer, as they won't want to cannibalize LF-A sales.
Old 04-12-09, 06:13 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Its without a doubt a car that will stand the test of time, I will be keeping mine for as long as im around

Im going to have a look at a 1990 Bentley Turbo R in the week as a little run around. Which is another car that has aged well
Old 04-13-09, 12:45 PM
Lexus One
Driver School Candidate

OT -Aquanuke - If you look at the Bentley, make sure the factory recall has been done. Link
But then again you have already done your homework.
Old 04-13-09, 01:18 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus One
OT -Aquanuke - If you look at the Bentley, make sure the factory recall has been done. Link
But then again you have already done your homework.
Cheers Lexus One
Old 04-13-09, 03:25 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go forward with your purchase, you won't regret it !! You will love the car and ten years from now you'll still be getting compliments. The car's styling is classic and look how much money you've saved from not buying a 2009 !! My o3 still looks new and people think it's an o7 or 08, when i tell them it has 70k on the odometer they can't believe it. It's a lexus, your purchasing the best !!
Old 04-13-09, 03:44 PM
Lexus One
Driver School Candidate

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Aqua - Here's what one went for 16 months ago Link
I'll Quit now.
Old 04-13-09, 04:32 PM
mhoepfin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, buy it. They all look the same to the average person. Unless you belong to this forum, you will not know the difference between a 2002 and a 2008.

I just bought my 2002 (for $16,500!), and it is a fantastic car that we all love. Very fun to drive.

Mike
Old 04-16-09, 10:56 AM
flyguyskt
Driver School Candidate

even if there was a direct replacement coming...NO problem..most people dont even know what the heck it is!

take off the lexus name plat and the sc 430 badge and youll get "what IS THAT" questions all day long!

mines an 02 and looks brand new. old lady put 28k on it in 7 years! i cant even tell its not an 09!!

buy the car and enjoy it! they truly are timeless