SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replacing a seat belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 06:02 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing a seat belt

I stained my drivers side Ecru seat belt (Don't ask) and I need to replace it.
I ordered a new one from Sewell so that was step one. Now I see the bolt down by the side of the seat bottom, no problem there but how do you remove the upholstery by the drivers side rear widow to remove the ratcheting mechanism? Any tricks and has anyone done this before?
Old 04-09-09, 06:43 AM
norman52
Intermediate

No one has taken the upholstery off by the rear quarter window?

I am sure I can figure out how to bolt the seat belt up but I don't want to damage the rear upholstery by the window.
Old 04-10-09, 06:34 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Fold the top into the trunk. Fold the front seats forward and move them forward as far as you can...you'll need the room.

Take the bottom seat cushion out...it just pulls up (two clips under the left and right cushion at the very front of the seat. Pop up one side, then go around and pop up the other. Lift the front of the cushion up and the back will unhook from the rear.)

Take the back seat upright out...to do this you have to take the rear headrests apart...pop the plastic cover off the back of each, remove 2 bolts on each side...remove the pexi wind-screen (don't lose the little rubber vibration-damping center thing. It's just held in with the pressure from the installed plexi)...remove the plastic rear cover, remove 2 more nuts, remove the leather-covered plastic headrest. There will be one nut under each headrest...and 2 other bolts at the very bottom of the seats. Then the whole thing slides out under the seatbelts to one side or the other.

Now you can get to the side pieces. There are a couple of bolts that are pretty obvious and one that's no-so obvious. (I only had it this far apart once..and that was a while ago so, this all from memory). There's a screw that's under the plastic seatbelt guide. You have to pop the plastic seatbelt guide out to even see it.

Once you have all of the fasteners off, it should just lift off.

FYI, this is also how you get to the rear side speakers.

It sounds like a lot but, I can have the whole back seat out of my car is <5 min.

90% of the bolts are 10mm...so grab a ratchet with a 10mm socket and, if you have one, one of those socket/screwdriver handle thingies. I don't know what you call them but it looks like a screwdriver but the end is a 1/4" socket tip. Very handy during this process.

The 4 big bolts/nuts that hold the rear seat on (the two at the very bottom of the upright cushion and the two under the headrests are not 10mm...they're larger. I THINK they're 12mm). The hidden screw is a phillips...like a #2.

When you reinstall, it's pretty straightforward...just reverse these instructions. The only two things to mention when putting it back together...the headrests are identical but, the rear plasic covers are not...there's a Left and a Right (because of the screw-holes for the windscreen). it's obvious, if you look. I didn't the first time and it was very frustrating. Also, don't screw the windscreen bolts down too tight our you could crack the plexi.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-09, 07:58 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That sounds complex.

Off topic:

I also have stained Ecru seatbelts. I was thinking of changing them to black seatbelts (I am also changing the floor mats to black).

What do you guys think?
Old 04-10-09, 08:53 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. You wouldn't know what section this might be in the shop manual? I downloaded it in PDF format so I have many files to search.
I was tempted to switch to black as I did switch the floor mats but the passengers side cleaned up like new so buying one for $200 was better than buying two for $400. The dealer wants $200 plus parts to do this job. I would rather do it myself and send the car out to be detailed instead.
Old 04-10-09, 10:35 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's a Illustrated breakdown of the back seat.

The detailed, step-by-step can be found in section 72 (Seats) of the manual. The rear seat removal instructions start on page 9. If you need any more info, just let me know.
Old 04-10-09, 10:45 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Perfect. Thanks so much. I might just crank up the stereo tonight and try to hear if I have any vibrations back there too. Good time to replace the speakers if any of them are starting to go.
Old 05-01-09, 04:19 PM
norman52
Intermediate

habious, Your instructions made it a piece of cake.........................except!! The Black cover on the top that the seat belt goes through, it has one bolt and a plastic pin that are hidden back under the black flap that covers the hardtop. I did all the work just like you said with the top down and the seats forward. 10 minutes for me except when it came to pulling the panel. It wouldn't budge. I hit close on the top for just a few seconds so the panel raised and there was the bolt causing all the problems. You said there was a hidden bolt, it sure was hidden. Anyway with the panel just opened I removed the bolt and the rest was a piece of cake. New Ecru seat belt. Total cost $181. the dealer wanted $586 Parts and Labor! Time to go buy good beer with the savings. Thanks again.
Old 03-02-12, 06:50 AM
lexusdiy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front seat belt removal - need assistance

I saw you removed your front seatbelt. I am working on the passenger side and already have total access. I do not want to break the yellow connector and cant figure out how to get it out of the connection (on the seat belt assembly on the side). It does not appear to squeeze...help would be greatly appreciated.

thx
Old 03-02-12, 12:04 PM
lexusdiy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front seat belt replacement - belt not pulling out

I figured out that i had to use a screwdriver to take the locking plate up on the connector (i believe it is the tensioner connector) so I disconnected the passenger belt and removed it.

My question is why will the belt no longer pull out of the mechanism? does it need to be installed and connectors put back on? The belt I have for a replacement has the same issue so i need to figure this out.

thx