SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC 430 Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 06:21 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Reports of transmission problems here are rare.
Generally speaking, transmission problems, like brake problems, do not fix themselves. I suspect that you had some kind of an electrical or computer problem, perhaps due to a bad connection or switch.
Old 03-19-09, 05:12 PM
DirtySC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After a New Battery was Installed...

Ok, I've only had it back for a day and a half, but the problem appears
to be gone. No hesitation yesterday morning when I picked it up from
the dealership, none all day yesterday, and most encouragingly, none
this morning.

I'll update again in a week. Obviously, with a situation like this, it's
all or nothing... If it happens even once, then the problem is in fact
the tranny. If not, then I saved myself over $5000 by not listening to the dealership! I had planned on a new tranny at 150,000 miles anyway,
but I'm at least a year away from that.

Chris
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Old 03-20-09, 08:04 AM
tfischer

Good luck.
I am very glad to hear that these cars are going 150,000 miles and more. Mine already has over 30,000 miles, and that's over only 7 years.
Old 03-26-09, 09:58 AM
cssc
Driver School Candidate

Well, the transmission problem is back again...like it is in neutral. What is interesting is that I notice a static noise coming out of my passenger side rear speaker even if the radio is off. Th noise only occurs if the car is moving.
Old 03-26-09, 10:14 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cssc
Well, the transmission problem is back again...like it is in neutral. What is interesting is that I notice a static noise coming out of my passenger side rear speaker even if the radio is off. Th noise only occurs if the car is moving.
Did you change the battery? typically a battery is only good for 3 years.
Old 03-26-09, 06:21 PM
tawarmbrod
Driver School Candidate

changed out my battery this week, it is a early built 2002 with 44,000 miles on it....it still had the original battery in it, so they do last more than three years
Old 03-26-09, 07:32 PM
DirtySC430
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I've had mine back from the dealership for a week now with a new battery, and my problem is entirely gone. And this is after the dealer told me that my tranny was terminally ill and would need to be replaced for $5050.

Of course, it is a "special" battery, as Lexus is fond of calling it, to which I always respond that the only thing "special" about it is its price tag!

Sorry if a new battery doesn't solve everyone's tranny problem, but I think my experience proves that electrical issues are the first thing to investigate. It also proves the value of checking these forums before buying what the dealership is selling you!

Good luck to everyone.
Old 03-26-09, 08:08 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tawarmbrod
changed out my battery this week, it is a early built 2002 with 44,000 miles on it....it still had the original battery in it, so they do last more than three years
so you bought it brand new back in 2001?

My car has 72000 miles and the third battery.
Old 03-26-09, 09:20 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DirtySC430

Sorry if a new battery doesn't solve everyone's tranny problem, but I think my experience proves that electrical issues are the first thing to investigate. It also proves the value of checking these forums before buying what the dealership is selling you!

Good luck to everyone.
this sounds similar to a problem my friend was having with her 02 accord...her car would jerk while braking normally, almost like you were jabbing the breaks. local mechanic said it needed a brake job, tranny flush and a new coolant sensor. dealer fixed the coolant sensor. problem solved.

cars are so strange sometimes
Old 03-27-09, 06:27 AM
tfischer

Batteries are funny things. They tend to die with age rather than miles, but so many different environmental (and manufacturing) factors have an impact that it is impossible to tell how long a given battery will last. My SC is driven very little, especially in cold weather, and is parked inside when not on the road. The original battery lasted about 5 years, then died suddenly without warning. The Lexus service manager indicated that these days a warning (slow cranking, dim lights, etc.) is not often given.
When my RX hit 5 years, I replaced the battery just to be safe and to prevent being stranded in an inconvenient location. At that age, and for a car that is driven in the cold and which is parked outside most of the time, that seemed like inexpensive insurance.
Old 03-27-09, 06:32 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep its age not miles, infact low miles would probs kill the battery quicker, mines 2002 18,000 miles on third battery now.

I would avoid the Lexus battery and go for a better after market replacement.
Old 03-27-09, 11:22 AM
cssc
Driver School Candidate

Any recommendations on a replacement battery? In the past, on my other cars, I have used Napa batteries but they all died before the warranty period.
Old 03-27-09, 12:02 PM
tfischer

The Interstate batteries are highly recommended to me by many service professionals.
Old 03-27-09, 06:53 PM
cssc
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone used an Optima battery? I understand that it has more cranking amps but less reserve than a standard battery because it is smaller. Are there any concerns regarding the electrical requirements?
Old 03-27-09, 07:33 PM
tawarmbrod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by talwang
so you bought it brand new back in 2001?

My car has 72000 miles and the third battery.
good point, I bought a couple of months ago and when I had the battery replaced, I asked and they told me it was the original one, but that is only what they told me

Quick Reply: SC 430 Transmission Problems