SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 07:47 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

One of the biggest problems I have with the top down on this car is the rear seat belts flapping loudly. They are really loud at 80mph+.

I have found that if you slide the buckles down to the snap and tuck them in, then they are a fraction of the noise. Only problem is they become untucked over hard bumps, really high speeds, etc so sometimes you have to re-tuck. Otherwise, a FREE fix for you all that agree that these things are SOOOOOO noisy!
Old 12-03-09, 08:54 PM
dh784123
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
One of the biggest problems I have with the top down on this car is the rear seat belts flapping loudly. They are really loud at 80mph+.

I have found that if you slide the buckles down to the snap and tuck them in, then they are a fraction of the noise. Only problem is they become untucked over hard bumps, really high speeds, etc so sometimes you have to re-tuck. Otherwise, a FREE fix for you all that agree that these things are SOOOOOO noisy!
mine does that too! so annoying. it happens so much that its actually rubbing the red color of the leather off and its turning black behind the seatbelts where its hitting the leather!!! is yours doing that too? im gonna go to dealership and complain!

--btw scdroptop, im still iffy about selling the floormats, i feel like im gonna regret it cuz ill eventually destroy my originals and have nothing to replace them with... but lmee keep thinkin about it and ill let you know!
The following users liked this post:
Mark2002 (04-29-19)
Old 12-03-09, 11:17 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i remember seeing someone put little fur looking things around their seat belts. they're meant for comfort. but they said that stopped them from flapping in the wind. personally, i usually have the radio up loud enough that i don't hear them. so it doesn't bother me.
Old 12-04-09, 06:33 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used these for a couple years. They stopped the flapping completely;

http://www.autobarn.net/seat-belt-co...te=google_base

I think I found mine at Pep Boys or some other auto-parts place.
Old 12-04-09, 10:25 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Doesn't your back seat have the leather straps to hold down the seat belts? Mine does and they don't flap a bit. (Mine's an '02.)

Last edited by Harold57; 12-04-09 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-04-09, 11:14 AM
Yes

Originally Posted by intdiamond
I've used these for a couple years. They stopped the flapping completely;

http://www.autobarn.net/seat-belt-co...te=google_base

I think I found mine at Pep Boys or some other auto-parts place.
this is what i was thinking of
Old 12-04-09, 11:15 AM
Yes

Originally Posted by Harold57
Doesn't your back seat have the leather straps to hold down the seat belts? Mine does and they don't flap a bit. (Mine's an '02.
the snaps always come undone
Old 12-04-09, 11:48 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

I have driven mine a couple of times at about 75 MPH with the top down and had no problem with flapping. My belts never came out of the straps. Mine is an 06.
Old 12-04-09, 12:06 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I have driven mine a couple of times at about 75 MPH with the top down and had no problem with flapping. My belts never came out of the straps. Mine is an 06.
Same with my '02, I drive 80 mph occasionally with no flapping. Are you sure that you are engaging the magnetic snaps properly?
Old 12-04-09, 12:33 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Is it possible that you have large, Obama-like ears...and that's what you're hearing flapping in the wind?

(and just to inject a teeny little bit on-topic, I have no "flapping" issues in my '03, as long as the straps are properly seated into the little magnets.)
Old 12-04-09, 01:02 PM
Yes

i've been known to drive a bit faster than that
Old 12-04-09, 06:42 PM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
i've been known to drive a bit faster than that
Uhhh yeah, me too!

Straps are fastened, trust me. I agree someone careless could easily overlook not having the snaps secured. Perhaps because I've actually used my rear seat belts (four year old son) in both SC's that the belts have naturally stretched just enough not to be tight?

I drove a used 2003 SC one time that the previous owner had let the sun cook the interior-must have left the top down forever, and the rear belts were almost baked into the seats!

What I am simply talking about is even with the leather strap secured the upper part of the belt that houses the fastener still makes noise with the fastener hitting the seat. If you tuck the fastener into the leather strap securely, it won't do it.
Old 12-05-09, 09:25 AM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by dh784123
--btw scdroptop, im still iffy about selling the floormats, i feel like im gonna regret it cuz ill eventually destroy my originals and have nothing to replace them with... but lmee keep thinkin about it and ill let you know!

DH-check your PM. Let's have the best of both worlds-you send me your new black mats with the red logo, I'll send you my red ones with the black logo and we can have BOTH colors...everyone wins! I'll even spring for shipping on both. PM me and let me know!! I gotta have some black mats
Old 12-05-09, 04:01 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
DH-check your PM. Let's have the best of both worlds-you send me your new black mats with the red logo, I'll send you my red ones with the black logo and we can have BOTH colors...everyone wins! I'll even spring for shipping on both. PM me and let me know!! I gotta have some black mats
^^^^1, very generous offer, great deal for both parties
Old 03-25-10, 07:59 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've often wondered, since the rear seat is useless, why do we need shoulder belts back there at all? Has anyone ever used them? I guess you might strap your dog in )

Quick Reply: Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it