SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

retractible roof problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 02:23 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retractible roof problems

I am unable to open the retractable roof. When I press the "open" button the only response I get is a red blinking light from the button. There is no noise and the car is not even attempting to open the roof. (So it must be electrical or sensor)

On another note, the trunk open button next to the steering column does not work, the only way I can open the truck is with the remote. I do not know if somehow these two problems are correlated.

I have checked all the fuses in the trunk and the fuses on the passenger seat side, and no fuses were blown. I checked the trunk lock button in the glove box and that was pressed normal.

I do not know what else to do or how to fix this problem. Anyone else have/had similar issues?
Old 02-08-09, 02:42 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I am assuming that you have the tonneau cover latched into the two slots. I would open the trunk and reseat the tonneau cover. Close the trunk and try again. I remember gettting a red flashing light once because my tonneau was not sitting in the two slots. Try starting the car and then trying the top. IF the trunk remote is not working then it sounds like the trunk lid may not be seating and a sensor is preventing the trunk from opening.
Old 02-08-09, 03:38 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

I forgot to mention that the tonneau cover is latched into the two slots. I have retracted it and latched it several times and still no luck.

And thats a good point that the trunk is not seating properly. But, there is no trunk malfunction light on the dash and the trunk opens properly with the key fob. So, Im not sure how to fix this problem.?

Last edited by ntr987; 02-08-09 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-08-09, 03:56 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

You could disconnect the battery and hope that reconecting it might clear it. It sounds to me that the top is sensing a fault that is why the red light. R u sure that the glove box kill switch is set correctly ? When you get it fixed let me know what the outcome was

Buddy
Old 02-08-09, 04:08 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Have you tried CLOSE to make sure the top is fully seated (and the computer knows that)?

I ran into this once when I moved the car at the same time the top finished closing. The top was actually closed, but the computer needed another second or two to process that. So, as far as the computer was concerned, the top was still closing and gave me a red flash the next time I tried to open it.

Since this is a free fix, it is worth a try, but I am guessing that the two problems are related and the car thinks the trunk is open.

(P.S. Either its warmer than I think in Indiana or you are on vacation!)
Old 02-08-09, 04:24 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

I rechecked the glove box switch and it was pressed properly, I also disconnected the battery on the car and reconnected it. I can't figure this one out.

I know every SC430 owner's worst nightmare is failure of the retractible roof.

And to answer JohnnyCake, I did try to press the Close button to make sure it was closed all the way.

It was a very nice day in IN today, after feeling negative degree's this winter, 55 degrees feels like 70.

Last edited by ntr987; 02-08-09 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-08-09, 04:59 PM
man8959
Driver

i think there is another switch in the center console box. i remember read about it in the owner manual and it has to set properly for the roof to work . read the manual if u have one if not i can see if i can find it out for u.
Old 02-08-09, 05:32 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

The center console box just has the manual release for the trunk lid. Its for emergency use . You just lift up the very floor of the consol box and there is a handle to pull that will release the trunk. I dont think that this lever has anything to do with the top malfunction, I am still of the belief there is a sensor issue.

Buddy
Old 02-08-09, 05:36 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

I could not find that in the manual, do you know the pg. #
BTW, I did a quick google search and found the manual available for free download at
http://www.manuals.ws/files/list/brand/2/page/3/
Old 02-08-09, 05:41 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

page 87 bottom of page refers you to page 264 [ lift up mat in the lower box contained in the rear console box and remove the cover . pull the loop of wire to unlock the trunk lid

Buddy
Old 02-08-09, 07:23 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Actually, the two symptoms make perfect sense -- something is amiss in the wired trunk lid opener unit.

Thus you can't use the hard-wired internal button, but the remote works OK. The top opening computer also sees a problem with trunk lid latch (like maybe it can't verify its position or can't send the signal), so it won't put the top down. It seems like the two problems may very well be related.

I would definitely tell the dealer that you want the truck lid opener button fixed first, which should be a relatively inexpensive fix. I wouldn't want them mucking around with the top (which they'd probably love to do because it means big $$$ for them) until the opener was fixed. Depending on how much you trust the dealer, I'm not even sure I'd mention the top.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 02-08-09 at 07:51 PM. Reason: worried that tfischer would find a gramatical error
Old 02-08-09, 09:24 PM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

Okay, thats exactly what I am going to do. I think the two problems are correlated to a faulty sensor or electrical work in the trunk. I'm not even going to mention anything about the retractible roof. I will make an appointment this week and let you guys know if the retractible roof works.
Old 02-09-09, 10:53 AM
NorCal430
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Before you spend any money at the dealership do a search on this forum. A few months ago someone posted a document that showed the manual method to open and close the top.

If you go through that process there's a chance that you will find the problem or that whatever switch is not being reset will get reset in the process.

It will take less time than dropping the car off at the dealer and it won't cost anything.
Old 02-09-09, 12:14 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The procedure is in your Owners' Manual, as well.

BTW, I'm pretty sure there's another fuse box on the driver's side interior near the trunk release button. If not, I'm confusing it with another car.
Old 02-09-09, 12:23 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

There is a fuse box on the drivers side as well as on the passenger side and also a fuse box in the trunk that has an access door taht lifts up to gain access.

Quick Reply: retractible roof problems