SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Windshield Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 09:59 AM
Kadence
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also trying to decide whether to get a windshield from my mechanic ($395) or Lexus (about $1400, and that's excluding labor).
Originally Posted by SledDriver
The 06-08 windshield 56101-24070 is $1196.20 (rain sensing element)
So this means a 2006 SC 430 windshield would have a rain sensing element then? I called the Lexus dealer and the parts guy said his computer didn't say whether it had it or not, but that he didn't think it did.

I've never seen my wipers turn on automatically, but when I go into my garage on a rainy day they do turn off or slow down I think. I never thought much about it.

My mechanic said that since there's no 'auto' wipers setting it probably doesn't have a sensor, and my 430's instruction manual doesn't mention anything about a sensor.
Old 03-12-09, 09:10 AM
quadocox
Rookie

So,
My insurance would only cover up to 600.00 and the Lexus glas was 830.00
I decided to go with the aftermarket. I have to say I like the glass. It looks the same and seeing that my car was older, it realy kind of refreshed the look of the car.
Old 03-13-09, 04:24 PM
Kadence
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know for sure about the rain sensor on an 06? Like I said I've never seen my wipers turn on automatically, and I don't see any 'auto' type wiper setting.
Old 10-23-09, 06:31 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish me luck, I have to replace my windshield today.$200 ....with insurance. lol
Old 10-23-09, 06:47 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

I was told at Flow Lexus in Greensboro that none of the SCs have auto sensing wipers.
Old 10-23-09, 01:11 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SledDriver
The 02-05 windshield 56101-24040 is $751.69
The 06-08 windshield 56101-24070 is $1196.20 (rain sensing element)

Did you notice that all the windows have the Lexus logo in the corner? For that reason when I replaced my windshield I requested the OEM part.

I was told all glass is the same to, but that I would be getting the premium glass.

Well, if they are all the same why is there different levels of glass available?

I stood my ground, paid my $100 deductible + $36 to get the OEM glass installed. Had to wait 2 days instead of same day service.

Now when I look around my car all my glass matches with the Lexus logo. Not a big deal to some, but it is to me.

You paid a premium price for your car, why go cheap on replacement parts?
+1, I don't go cheap on brakes, tires, and glass. Good for you to stand your ground and demand the best
Old 11-19-13, 01:09 PM
hanscj
Driver School Candidate

at the end of the day, glass is glass. its the same thing.
Old 11-19-13, 01:40 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hanscj
Not all the time. I had a 300zx and glass shop tried to install after market glass in my passenger window per State Farm adjuster. The glass curvature was slightly off and it would not sit properly in the seals. After a second after market glass had the same issue State Farm authorized that they ordered Glass from Nissan and it fit perfectly.

My body shop owner friend has multiple horror stories trying to use aftermarket glass. OEM glass is made from original factory molds. Aftermarket glass molds are usually made from a copy of a mold from an OEM windshield. They can cause issues because curvature or dimensions are slightly off or the glass may thinner than OEM glass. This can cause additional road noise, leaks etc.

Lexus uses special rain repellant glass with a permanent titanium-silica coating on certain passenger windows. It's unlikely you would get the same quality from all after market vendors. Look at this link
http://www.lexus.com.bh/technology_e....asp?model=All

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 11-20-13 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 10:32 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hanscj
Not according to Lexus. In fact they had a campaign where they paid to replace front side windows on 2007-2008 LS460s with noise insulating laminated glass like they have on the windshield. In fact you can tap on the windshield and side windows and it sounds more like a thud when compared to tapping on rear seat side glass.

JR
Old 11-22-13, 11:38 AM
iolmaster
Racer

I had my windshield replaced with PGW glass ( old PPG) and I notice no difference in the noise or any other aspect of performance.
Old 11-23-13, 11:26 AM
toxic
Driver

It is a fact. Lexus glass is different than aftermarket....period....no more debate needed. Now just because your aftermarket fits and works, that's great but I can assure you it does not have the rain repellant coating. Get what your wallet allows.
Old 11-23-13, 12:40 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by toxic
It is a fact. Lexus glass is different than aftermarket....period....no more debate needed. Now just because your aftermarket fits and works, that's great but I can assure you it does not have the rain repellant coating. Get what your wallet allows.
That is true that the Lexus glass has the repellent coating. I never saw that as an advantage because it didn't work all that well. Other than the repellant coating I see no difference. Very happy with aftermarket. I would never go to war with the insurance company over this. Better things to fight about.
Old 11-23-13, 01:31 PM
toxic
Driver

Originally Posted by iolmaster
That is true that the Lexus glass has the repellent coating. I never saw that as an advantage because it didn't work all that well. Other than the repellant coating I see no difference. Very happy with aftermarket. I would never go to war with the insurance company over this. Better things to fight about.
I had a wiper malfunction in the rain and as long as I could go 40mph, the water beaded right off. I was very glad to have that feature and I would want it if I got the windshield replaced.
Old 11-23-13, 08:29 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by toxic
I had a wiper malfunction in the rain and as long as I could go 40mph, the water beaded right off. I was very glad to have that feature and I would want it if I got the windshield replaced.
There is something U can buy at the parts store a spray to repel water, It may be not be the same but insignificant difference.
Old 11-24-13, 06:00 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a vehicle with an aftermarket windshield and didn't know it until I began to live with it a while. The world is "wrinkled" as I look out at any angle but straight ahead. Straight lines wave as I drive and are distracting. All my friends have commented about it after a ride. This isn't my Lexus but if it were I'd have it ripped out in a heartbeat and replaced with an OEM windscreen. I can only hope a rock finds its destiny in my windshield as this is my Winter driver.

Quick Reply: Windshield Cracked