SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Convince me to keep my SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 02:13 PM
02Ku
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convince me to keep my SC

So, ive owned an SC430 for the last 3 yrs and have loved every day in it. I upgraded wheels, suspension, sound system, looks, etc and it is just one sexy car. People ask me if it is new, what kind of car is it (is it a porsche?), and I recieve compliments on a daily basis. Not to mention the car has had very few problems (rattling top and some electrical problems).

So, it seems like all is good until part of me wants to buy a new used car - either an M3, M5, or a CTS-V. I would like more power, but its hard to step away from the luxury and the top down features of the lex.

What are your thoughts? Should i trade? Have any of you had experiences with the cars i have listed. Any other cars that i should be thinking of.

Ive also looked at a 2003 maserati coupe, but its slightly out of the price range - which btw is 20-25. Around 50K miles. Less is better.
Old 01-26-09, 02:53 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeep your SC430 or ill soc YOU!!

unless you gonna sell me your Tein Coilovers or your swaybars
Old 01-26-09, 03:28 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

Im looking to upgrade too. This past weekend I went to check out the S class and CLS class at Mercedes. I just dont like the interior of Mercedes for some reason. I have been looking at used Gallardos also. My friend has a Gallardo and service is killer and lots of $$. So right now I think the best choice if i were to upgrade would be a 2009 Black SC430.
Old 01-26-09, 04:01 PM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, it's really up to you buddy. Our cars will become classics after this year. But, then upgrades are always something good to look forward to. I wouldn't mind having a M5 if I had the cash to burn If you do decide to sell your sc, I will be more than gladly to take those swaybars from you
Old 01-26-09, 04:19 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had BMW's and Mercedes...........My experience, both cost me allot of money. I should have paid attention to the Consumer's Reports. You can't beat the Lexus record on service, quality, reliability, and resale. Sorry it took me so long. I admit the others have soul. I loved my 500sl. Had it for 13 years, but damn it cost so much to maintain and lost so much value.
Old 01-26-09, 05:55 PM
FLYINGFUN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coach1
I've had BMW's and Mercedes...........My experience, both cost me allot of money. I should have paid attention to the Consumer's Reports. You can't beat the Lexus record on service, quality, reliability, and resale. Sorry it took me so long. I admit the others have soul. I loved my 500sl. Had it for 13 years, but damn it cost so much to maintain and lost so much value.
Ditto!
Old 01-26-09, 05:59 PM
Bellex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Ku
So, ive owned an SC430 for the last 3 yrs and have loved every day in it. I upgraded wheels, suspension, sound system, looks, etc and it is just one sexy car. People ask me if it is new, what kind of car is it (is it a porsche?), and I recieve compliments on a daily basis. Not to mention the car has had very few problems (rattling top and some electrical problems).

So, it seems like all is good until part of me wants to buy a new used car - either an M3, M5, or a CTS-V. I would like more power, but its hard to step away from the luxury and the top down features of the lex.

What are your thoughts? Should i trade? Have any of you had experiences with the cars i have listed. Any other cars that i should be thinking of.

Ive also looked at a 2003 maserati coupe, but its slightly out of the price range - which btw is 20-25. Around 50K miles. Less is better.
Recent SC buyer here - If you are in a position to make the leap to a BMW M car more power to you (no pun intended )!! The E39 M5 was absolutely a knockout (E39 year 2000-2003 have a special place in my heart ) However, the infamous VANOS issue/oil burning/frequent clutch replacement/e.t.c. was enough to scare me off! Don't have too much experience with the new body style (05 and up)

The E46 M3, however, seems to be much more of a solid car (minus the rod bearing issue which in some cases requires engine replacement/rear subframe cracking...mainly on 01-02 cars) I'd shoot for an 05-06 with the competition package if possible!

CTS-V - Rockin LS2 engine - 6 speed - 4 door = win
Cadillac value/faulty rear ends (diff) = fail, no thank you

Maserati Coupe - Reliability be damned lol - Hang out on out maseratiforum.net for a few days

The SC430 is a heck of a car for the money - Even being nearly 8 years old,
car is completely solid (no rattles ever!) - no leaks - no issues - no nothing... As you know, there are hardly any hardtop-convertible combinations to choose from (outside of the 335/MB SL) - I don't think there's anything else I would be driving now (within reason of course).... Although a long shot, I plan to seriously consider Infiniti's G37 hardtop - convertible in a few years when they work the kinks out... until then it's top-down riding in the SC

Ooh and if you do sell, I'll probably go ahead take those coil-overs off your hands

Cheers
Old 01-26-09, 06:01 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 02Ku

maserati s are pieces of ****...

m5 i wouldnt buy a used one.. high maintenance costs...

a used m3 will be nice.. and if u still want a convertible.. you can get a m3 convertible
Old 01-26-09, 06:04 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

I think you should upgrade.

Get an 08 Lexus SC430.
Old 01-26-09, 07:37 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bellex
Ooh and if you do sell, I'll probably go ahead take those coil-overs off your hands

Cheers
Yea.. i already have dibs on that.. if you looked at my first post
Old 01-26-09, 08:11 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if u get rid of the SC and opt for a BMW or Caddy, u'll start missing the SC and want it back. I say stay in the Lex family. It can't get much better than the SC, especially with all ur upgrades
Old 01-26-09, 09:04 PM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

SC is great.. but why does the hp suck?
Old 01-26-09, 09:13 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

For some reason, I never liked any interiors of a Mercedes... Definitely more of a luxury feel with a Lexus.
Old 01-27-09, 12:13 PM
02Ku
Driver

Thanks all. Seems like if I do sell my car, i have buyers for most of my parts.

All what you have said makes sense. I know lexus' reliability is among the best, probably is the best across all car manufacturers. If lexus only made a high hp car, I would purchase that immediately.

I looked at a two 2004 Vs yesterday. As I expected the service history was intense on the one that had few mods (exhaust, wheels, tint). Tranny swap at 10k, 2 radiator replacements, front shocks, rear diff replaced (with a used diff) and several others. The other one was in mint condition, except it had a tan interior.

Im still looking. If any of you are in the midwest (MN, WI) and find any good deals please let me know.

KevsSC - if i could afford a Gallardo, I wouldnt be searching for Vs. Maybe a new V, a ZR1, 430, Skyline GTR, GT3. But the raging bull just sounds great. No mods necessary on those cars. Good luck!
Old 01-27-09, 12:36 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Life is short move on; if you don’t purchase another car, it’s going to bother you. I was in your position 3 months ago. It’s obvious you want more power but with a nice interior. I say purchase anyone of these vehicles (SL55/CL55/CLS55/M5/M3). I think anyone of these vehicles will feed the beast inside you that’s look for more power.

Quick Reply: Convince me to keep my SC