SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

is there an MP3 adapter for the OEM radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 07:29 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts
Default is there an MP3 adapter for the OEM radio?

I have a 2002 SC430. The OEM AM/FM/CD/cassette radio in the car does not handle the MP3 format or have an interface to memory cards like USB flash drive or SD cards.

Does anyone know if there is an adapter that I can hook up to add MP3 compatibility?

What year did they add MP3 compatibility to the radios? (I haven't been able to locate used radios with or without MP3 and don't know where to look if they do exist.)
Old 12-03-08, 09:09 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the best you can do is an auxilary input. there's no way to control one through your stereo controls.
Old 12-04-08, 04:24 AM
jonra99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed this last week and it works great. My new Samsung Eternity phone/mp3 player hooked up to it. It works great and it turns off the MP3/WMA sound when I get a phone call. Then goes back to music after I'm done talking. If navigation is on the music level goes down when I get navigation audio, then goes back up automatically even when playing MP3s.

http://www.vaistech.com/slu.php
Old 12-20-08, 04:10 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Has anyone looked at the Kenwood KOS-A200?
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...84%A2/KOS-A200
It sounds like a good fit and allows for a number of different sources: IPod, audio input, USB flash drive, etc. Since it transmits by FM through the antenna input, it can put the titles on the radio display by using the RDS features of the radio. I've seen prices anywhere from $140 to $200 in a quick search.
Old 12-20-08, 09:53 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The issue with the FM modulators is...

a) you turn your near-CD quality mp3's into FM quality audio.
b) if you live in an urban area, it can be difficult to find an interference-free station.

The RDS might be kind of neat but, I for one drive with the radio door closed almost always.

But, everyone's needs are different so, I'm just giving my thoughts on this.

I also use the VaisTech SLU and can vouch for the excellent quality of the sound, and the ease of installation.
Old 12-24-08, 10:01 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

How difficult is it to get the OEM radio out to make the connections and install the VaisTech behind it? Are there instructions somewhere for removing the radio and Nav units?
Old 12-31-08, 06:38 AM
evolution8
Driver School Candidate

Can the group buy Navi tool be used to work this too? If it accepts Ipod video, can it just take the audio?

(https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...group-buy.html)
Old 01-05-09, 09:45 AM
ntr987
Driver School Candidate

No, I believe the non-digital Navi tool is video only. I found that the FM modulators have poor quality. The easiest and least expensive way to play an ipod in your SC430 is to use the tape deck. Old technology, but does a decent job.
Old 01-06-09, 03:09 PM
curt248
Driver School Candidate

Does our cars have an aux jack on it from the factory? If so, that would be great to hook up mp3 players. For some reason, I was under the impression that there wasn't an aux jack anywhere on the stock sound system in our sc430's.
Old 01-06-09, 03:41 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe someone might find this link below useful?

http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=6496
Old 01-06-09, 03:50 PM
curt248
Driver School Candidate

The picture shows the rear of a lexus radio that has an rca aux input. The car wasn't the sc430 though was it?

Does the sc430 have an aux jack?
Old 01-07-09, 05:55 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by curt248
Does the sc430 have an aux jack?
Short answer, no, the SC430 does not.

FM modulator is the simplest answer, but the worst sounding.

Tape Adapter is the next simpliest but, while it sounds better than the FM modulator, there's still a pretty fair bit of hiss, especially compared to CD.

VaisTech offers the only true aux input. The older SC430's can only use the SLU...which just gives you 2 dry aux inputs with no control (other than volume, bass, mid, teble, balance and fader...from the front of the stereo).

However, even with the functional limitations of the Vais unit (no changing tracks on your iPod, steering-wheel controls don't work (volume does, track up and down don't), the sound quality of the Vais unit is excellent.

I use a Vais SLU for my audio and a NavTool for my video, installed a CarPC in the trunk and I have it all...Satellite Radio, mp3's, DVD's, AVI's, iPod integration (although not really all that important since I have 250GB of space for mp3's on the CarPC), even HDRadio (only useful in big cities right now).

It CAN be done, it's just not a simple retrofit.

However, for the first year I had the car, I just had the Vais SLU and a Sirius receiver in the ashtray...sounded great!
Old 01-08-09, 11:01 AM
cellrbr8
Driver School Candidate

I posted this months ago so its buried to the point that I had difficulty finding it. I was amazed at how easy it was to install:

I found the ipod interface that works for my 02 SC430. The PA15-TOY can be bought for $140 at Shop20Four7. Only one modification had to be made. The CAS-TA wiring harness that comes with the kit is not needed - and does not work anyway. Pull the radio (I found these instructions online - pretty easy, thanks Lexus) and find the 3 wiring harnesses on the back of the radio. Release the harness with the two wires and plug in the PA15-TOY. You will clip the two wires from this 2 wire harness (I kept this harness for later just in case) and added a length of wire to each of them about 4-6 inches long. Splice these 2 wires to the 2 live ends and plug them into the back of the PA15-TOY at the EXACT same location as one the removed original harness. These two wires control the navigation door opener, but in the same location, the switch and voice still work fine. There is no display anywhere - except on the Ipod, but I use a wireless control on my dash for that anyway. The ipod remain out of sight in the lower part of the console. The remote was $50.
Old 02-27-12, 12:41 PM
TxPhantom
Rookie

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but does anyone know of a device that would allow me to connect my blackberry to the stock stereo in my 2003 SC430? Right now I am using an FM modulator, but not happy with the quality.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 02-27-12, 12:45 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow i didnt know people used blackberrys for audio....the answer is yes buy a Vaistech SLU it has two sets of AUX jacks which integrates into the OEM radio...its plug and play you just need to access the back of the radio. So when your scrolling on your head unit from CD to FM to AM etc you will now have two AUX modes and yes it literally will say AUX on the led of your radio....I have one and it is better than FM mod/tape deck adapters.

Quick Reply: is there an MP3 adapter for the OEM radio?