SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Chrome Tail Pipe Extention Replacement Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-02, 09:22 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Chrome Tail Pipe Extention Replacement Options

In following other SC's up and down the Highways, and taking a good look at my own (Black Onyx) SC from the Side, as well as the Rear, it's ocurred to me that perhaps a Chrome Tail Pipe Extension that has the end of it curving down, where the bottem edge is alligned parallel to the Ground Line, would look pretty Spiffey!

Has this idea occured to anyone else?

Have any Owners "Up Graded" their OEM Chrome Tail Pipe Extentions with any other After-Market Options?

What's everyone think about this concept?

"CURIOUS IN CARMEL (INDIANA)"

Old 02-19-02, 09:42 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly WJS I think that would look pretty darn ugly but this is just my opinion.. Personally the exhaust suits the car perfectly except I wish it had a bit more bass for my taste but I can talk to Steve about the Toms Exhaust when I am ready..

Not really sure how you could put on an extension on those tips.. Good luck I guess..

Ken
Old 02-20-02, 03:18 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wouldn't the borla exaust from the GS work on the sc since the have the same setup, just curious
Old 02-20-02, 12:35 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I wouldnt recommend that exhaust setup either. We can pray every night that HKS, Blitz GReddy, Apex i....etc makes an exhaust for the SC, or do they???? I need some more deep throaty sound in my exhaust as well as a nice scream at WOT.

I wouldnt go with borla though, just a personal preference. Do any of the GS exhaust actually fit?
Old 02-20-02, 01:53 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

At first glance looking at the L-Tuned exhaust we have on the GS and the stock SC setup I don't think it will work to use the L-Tuned or Borla Exhaust from the GS without some serious modifications.. Besides the tips would be too small and not look right..

If you want an exhaust look at the TOM's racing exhaust that SUPRATRD (Steve Gantz) posted in the Engine section of this forum..

Ken
Old 02-20-02, 08:08 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Call me stupid or what not, but im the type that would rather spend whatever to get a name brand. I will check it out though, thanx
Old 02-21-02, 11:41 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HEY!! Wait a minute, Gene ...

I had a pair of dice hanging in my 1953 Ford Victoria Hardtop (coral w/cream roof) and they were cool!
Old 02-21-02, 09:11 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Chrome Tail Pipe Extention Replacement Options

Originally posted by genearch:

"I'll make you a deal. If you install the extensions that you describe, I'll personally pickup the tab for the shiny chrome curb feelers and fuzzy dice."

Gene - You Really know how to hurt a guy!

Cut me some slack dude.

Old 02-27-02, 06:24 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

"Nothing personal, but exhaust extensions? My car has been covered all week, yesterday I took it out and I stood behind the car looking at the exhaust wondering what the heck you were talking about. Offer still stands (picking up the Tab for installing a pair of Fuzzy Dice, and Chrome Curb Feelers)!"

Gene - Your Kind Offer is very generous, but to date, I haven't been able to locate a Quality pair of "Fuzzies" to hang from my RV Mirror, that didn't clash with the Saddle Interior.

Actually, these Round Tubes look as lacking to the "TOTAL BACK END" of the car, as those stupid (and smaller) similiar tail pipes on the Jaguars. Just seems like someone could have used a little more imagination on their appearance. In addition, try as I may, I can't seem to get them to have that "Highly Polished Chrome" look as the Chrome trim items on the rest of the car.

As tough as this for me to admit, I seem to have failed to get a ZAINO Product to brighten them up to the level of the rest of the Chrome on the Car, so I've Ordered a few Metal Polishing Cloths and Replenisher Liquid (#10223 & #10223B) "www.griotsgarage.com".

Sorry for all of the potential "negative images" of the turned-down sharp edge tail pipe extentions from our '56 Model Impala's, Victoria's, and Fury's. In those days man, without the Chrome Extensions, Curb Feelers, and Fuzzy Dice, you were on "Ice"!

If James Dean and Ricky Nelson were around these days, and trimmed up their SC's that way, I'll just bet that all you guys would think it was SOOOO COOL!

OK, OK, maybe just Sal Mineo would think it would be cool, and Ricky and James would probably like, think that he sucks.................

:eek:

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 02-27-02 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-27-02, 08:07 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Hey sorry for this bad news, but they're not crome. Most likely stainless steal....they will be around far longer then the car. my old HKS exhaust was the same material, it will never shine like crome
Old 02-27-02, 08:20 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Unhappy STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST TIPS VS CHROME

Originally posted by LexusSC430:

"Hey sorry for this bad news, but they're not crome. Most likely stainless steal....they will be around far longer then the car. my old HKS exhaust was the same material, it will never shine like crome."

LSC - Should have gotten a clue when I paid those Big Extra Bucks to have a couple of Professional Chrome Polishers, aka "BUB's" ("Back-Up Bimbos") try and work over the Extensions. They looked like a pair of Polish Hit Men who specialize in Blowing up Grey Hound Busses (Hint: Black Rings Around Their Mouths!) when they were through, but said that they experienced NO unpleasant Chrome aftertaste!

Any ideas where we can Upgrade these sad imitations to Real Chrome Extentions, that would more appropriately befit these $75,000.00 Toys (with a few bells and whistles)?

:eek:

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 03-01-02 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-28-02, 09:51 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST TIPS VS CHROME

"I'd much prefer stainless over chrome. Real cars use Stainless, chrome is bling bling and for posers."

So Gene, I take it you plan to field-strip all of the other chrome items off the Outside Mirrors, Grill, Ensignas, Lug Nuts / Hex Nuts, etc., and replace all of them with Polished Stainless Steel, huh?

I'll pay for the Stainless Curb Feelers and the Fuzzy Dice, for such a "Fuzzy" idea.

Just because 13 Times WWF Champion Rick Flair wants to go there with all that "Stainless Stuff", doesn't make it cool.

Frustrated In Fishers!

Old 02-28-02, 12:50 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Well the current trend in cars (i.e. the movie Fast and the Furious) the rims arent chrome on the cars....but they have that pushed back rim.....with not a chrome lip, but adonized aluminum. Which is what I have on my C5 rims....what a pain in the ***. They are shiny and all, but not with the flare of chrome.
Old 02-28-02, 03:14 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

First off Chrome exhaust tips are the worse thing to have on your car.. Especially if you are in a northern climate where you get snow.. Chrome will just turn and discolour within 1 winter.. Thus stainless steel is the best solution.. Use some mothers polish and it will shine just as nice as chrome and you won't have the headaches of discoloured chrome..

When it comes to wheels as much as Manaray hates chrome I still like it but some high polished wheels like the HRE's are really nice too.. Just wish they weren't so much but I guess ya gotta pay to play with the big boys..
Old 03-06-02, 07:25 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Wink REPLACEMENT CHROME TAIL PIPE EXTENSIONS FOUND!

Eureka - I've FINALLY LOCATED A SET OF BEAUTIFUL Tail Pipe Extensions that are All CHROME Plated from the Rear Wheels Aft!

That's the Good News...............

But the bad News is to put my name in to reserve a Set (Only 12,000 available the First Year of Production), will cost me about $15,000.00.....................each! :eek:

But, they are Chrome vs our Polished Stainless Steel Round-Rolled Pipes, and have a very subtle Turn-Down Flare, just like I dreamed of.

Should I just like, spend the dough, and go?

Check out the new 2003 300 HP Mercury Maruader, at Edmonds.com, for all the features. It's a Full Sized Muscle Car from the 60's, dudes. It's Back, only available in Black, and built for the Race Track!

Should I buy the car, detach the cool Chrome Tail Pipe Extensions, and trhow the rest away?

"Frustrated In Fishers!"

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 03-06-02 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Chrome Tail Pipe Extention Replacement Options