SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Full Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 07:18 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Full Paint Job?

The 2002 SC430 I'm getting doesn't need any body work, and the paint is still in pretty good condition. But, I want it perfect.

I'm still new to CA, but can you guys recommend any paint shops in the OC area? And idea on how much good paint jobs cost around here? Car is black and i want to keep the same color.

thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-08, 07:32 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My personal opinion is don't paint it unless you have to -- even high end paint jobs don't look factory (IMHO). The non-removable panels will have clearcoat cutoff lines, etc. And, to get a close to factory look, panels have to be removed so that paint wraps around the panels so you don't see cutoff. I'd get a good detail with clay and cut polish and see if that satisfies you. Depends on your preferences for superficial perfections vs factory paint with a few flaws.
Old 07-22-08, 07:42 PM
ratha67
Rookie

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
The 2002 SC430 I'm getting doesn't need any body work, and the paint is still in pretty good condition. But, I want it perfect.

I'm still new to CA, but can you guys recommend any paint shops in the OC area? And idea on how much good paint jobs cost around here? Car is black and i want to keep the same color.

thanks in advance.
If the paint is in pretty good condition, you might just need a good detailing... A high end paint job at a good body shop (the only paint job I would recommend for this car) is going to cost you about half of what you just paid for the car. I've had pricey paint jobs and cheap Maaco paint jobs on my old SC400s. I was never completely satisfied with either. Its just not as good as stock original paint,
Old 07-22-08, 10:12 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

The Lexus dealership where I got my SC from recommended to me a shop that they send all their cars to. When I was in the market for an IS F and told them I was considering repainting the car to the ultrasonic mica blue (they only had white ), they told me it would cost about $6000.

So, yeah. "Factory" paint for the entire car would be around that much...
Old 07-22-08, 10:37 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Thanks for the input guys.

Back in Joyzee, my IS300 got broken into and months later a rock got thrown on my hood. Both times I got the car painted. All together, the hood, both front quater panels, both drivers side doors and the trunk got repainted. If I recall, including the body work, I think it was about $2200.

That was 7 years ago, and even today, to me, I don't see the difference between where the factory job and the repairs were made. Now the dealers are able to spot it, but only if the open the doors/trunk and hood (actually, they missed the hood). I took a quick look where they did and didn't notice it myself.

I'm pretty ****, but I'm not concerned if it comes out as good as the IS300 has, especially after the paint holding up so well after all these years.

What's up is that the hood definitely needs paint. It has little pebble sized paint chips up and down the whole thing (they offered to get it repainted). But I didn't realize until the last day of test driving that there are about 4 spot (roof, door, and trunk) where I guess bird poop oxidized the paint (most about the size of a pinky print or less) and it started to crackle. Can that crap be removed/buffed out with getting the panels completely painted?

There's also some minor scratches here and there, mostly hair line scratches, but the paint does have a lot of luster to it. Overall it's not that bad. And it is black so it will show every microscopic flaw.

So, what can be done with the little birdy poo?
Old 07-22-08, 10:42 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CAMAracer
The Lexus dealership where I got my SC from recommended to me a shop that they send all their cars to. When I was in the market for an IS F and told them I was considering repainting the car to the ultrasonic mica blue (they only had white ), they told me it would cost about $6000.

That's the color of my IS300.

You're SC looks pretty sharp in the avitar! Same blue color? Can you send me a link to some more pics of it.
Old 07-22-08, 10:51 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CAMAracer

I'm also thinking that since you're changing the color to a completely new one, you're paying more to make sure the white is completely out of the picture - like Rob was saying about the cutoffs.

I also think the $6000 "factory" paint job cannot be provided at a dealership, but only at "the factory". But getting the Lexus paint can be done anywhere. That same $6K Lexus dealership job I'm sure can be done much cheaper and just as good or better at a (but definitely not every) paint shop. <My bad - reread your post. It was the dealer's "referral". Sorry>

I guess I forgot to ask in my original post how prices are here in the very competetive OC (I'm sure much more in NJ).
Old 07-23-08, 02:50 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So, what can be done with the little birdy poo?
If clay wont shift it then what I would do with bird ****, is wet sand it out 2000 then 3000 grit then buff it up on a machine polisher.

Post some photos, I cant believe you would need new paint.

Last edited by aquanuke; 07-23-08 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-23-08, 03:08 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Can that crap be removed/buffed out with getting the panels completely painted?

There's also some minor scratches here and there, mostly hair line scratches, but the paint does have a lot of luster to it. Overall it's not that bad. And it is black so it will show every microscopic flaw.
TBH it sounds like all you need is a good detail

Have a look at some of the bad ones that where fixed on detailing world

This is my fav

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ighlight=worst
Old 07-23-08, 08:15 AM
ratha67
Rookie

Originally Posted by aquanuke
TBH it sounds like all you need is a good detail

Have a look at some of the bad ones that where fixed on detailing world

This is my fav

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ighlight=worst
Wow, 32 hours for a nice detail job. I don't know of anywhere in the states that provides work like that. We've got a few places that will charge you for 32 hours, and spend closer to 3 hours on your car. I wonder how much a detail like that costs, and if there is a local place that does comparable work.
Old 07-23-08, 08:52 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ratha67
Wow, 32 hours for a nice detail job. I don't know of anywhere in the states that provides work like that. We've got a few places that will charge you for 32 hours, and spend closer to 3 hours on your car. I wonder how much a detail like that costs, and if there is a local place that does comparable work.
Myself I bought a Megs G220 dual action and detailed my car myself, first time out I practiced on my sisters Miata Mazda MX-5.

I bought this kit

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish.../prod_414.html

Ive looked after my car pretty well, had a fair bit of paint swirls, scratches etc so took me about 6 hours to get it near to perfect.

32 hours work would be expensive, over here Id guess £600-£1000 ($1200-$2000) But I dont think any CL members have a car that needs 32 hours work !

So you could have a crack yourself with a G220, porter Cable or UDM machine.

Or im pretty sure there are detailers on this forum that could do it, I think rominl does or used to do detail work.
Old 07-23-08, 08:53 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Even at a brgain basement price of $40 an hour you would be looking at $1,280!!!! just think what it would cost at Lexus shop hourly rates.
Old 08-31-08, 01:17 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

OK, so I tried to take some pics of the spot where the paint has oxidized ...put as you can see, it's SO HARD to see! LOL!

There are about 2 0or 3 other spots, but the one in these pics one is by far the worst.
Attached Thumbnails Full Paint Job?-edimg_2170.jpg  
Old 08-31-08, 01:21 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

...another pic of the same spot...
Attached Thumbnails Full Paint Job?-edimg_2171.jpg  
Old 08-31-08, 01:25 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

...and here is another pic of the same spot...
Attached Thumbnails Full Paint Job?-edimg_2172.jpg  

Quick Reply: Full Paint Job?