SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Looking for clear bumper lights for SC430

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 09:20 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
DJ Surfer, I've done the exact same thing in my mod already.... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...e-markers.html. Might be an interesting read, and I'm also offering these for sale..

pVong, the CAD is already done so it would be about $275 for all four, if you only wanted a pair it would be $137.50. I'd just have to contact him to let him know to make them. Would take about a week to have them done, I think.
Yes I saw that and that's actually where I got the idea after my friend told me had a 3D printer. I saw it and liked it but will do a few things different and improve since I am there with my buddy and we have the car to test fit after each print to fine tune everything. First thing we did was obviously to do the housing with retaining clip, light socket, and round screw bracket on the rear side. After a first prototype it came out NEAR perfect, clip had to be slightly modified as well as screw round bracket needed to be moved a few millimeters to line up perfect. Then we are improving now the clear lens you put with a reflective square pattern on the inside to project and make the light look more like... well a light. and the housing will be dipped in chrome to have a nice clear/chrome OEM finish like the headlights and fogs.
Old 08-04-14, 09:16 PM
pvong713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djsurfer
Yes I saw that and that's actually where I got the idea after my friend told me had a 3D printer. I saw it and liked it but will do a few things different and improve since I am there with my buddy and we have the car to test fit after each print to fine tune everything. First thing we did was obviously to do the housing with retaining clip, light socket, and round screw bracket on the rear side. After a first prototype it came out NEAR perfect, clip had to be slightly modified as well as screw round bracket needed to be moved a few millimeters to line up perfect. Then we are improving now the clear lens you put with a reflective square pattern on the inside to project and make the light look more like... well a light. and the housing will be dipped in chrome to have a nice clear/chrome OEM finish like the headlights and fogs.
That sounds amazing please post some pictures when your done!
Old 08-05-14, 09:43 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pvong713
That sounds amazing please post some pictures when your done!
Here you go my friend, we are pretty much done with these lights after finding the correct clear material for the new clear lenses. First 2 protypes were molded in red styrene plastic to ensue fitments of everything and mounting brackets/ screw holes line up with those of the factory light and bumper. And the last prototype/test model is made finished in 2 pieces, a white ABS housing (as pictured on last pics) and a clear inside patterned clear acryilic lens. In this order are 1st, 2nd and last prototypes. The first finished pair will be made today and moving OEM tabs in the back 1/16" so the new housings fit perfectly in the middle of bumper indent. will show pics of the back tabs and screw holes and show comparison to factories and better installed pics with both lights working in front AND rear bumpers. The last (white ABS) prototype as can be seen has a thinner edge lip and is weather sealed to prevent moisture and the tabs will be ran again 1/16" to perfectly center the light inside the light insert. The way the lights mount and light socket fit is EXACTLY as factory so this is plug and play which is the best part. Thanks for looking!

Old 08-05-14, 11:17 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what did you use for the LEDS bar in side the lights how many LEDS are in side each light?
I have the clear corners.

Last edited by bacardi11; 08-05-14 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-05-14, 11:45 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Theres no LED strips, we duplicated the OEM housing so thats just an LED wedge bulb on the stock light harness. As if you were just replacing the halogen light bulb on the OEM orange light housing to an LED bulb.
Old 08-05-14, 11:47 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

You can see in the 2nd & 3rd pic, we are still using the OEM light plug, what were changing is just the housig to a better fiiltting one with white or silver/chrome light housing with a clear and more reflective clear lens. Instead of OEM orange housing and OEM orange lens
Old 08-05-14, 12:04 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you had LED in them you would have something. like my clear corners.
Old 08-05-14, 01:44 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Yea I know, the next idea was to make the housing flat inside to use 2 LED strips to illuminate both at once or have just one deisgnated to the signals.
Old 08-05-14, 09:19 PM
pvong713
Driver

Yea I know, the next idea was to make the housing flat inside to use 2 LED strips to illuminate both at once or have just one deisgnated to the signals.
How much does your friend want for a set?
Old 08-05-14, 09:21 PM
pvong713
Driver

You can see in the 2nd & 3rd pic, we are still using the OEM light plug, what were changing is just the housig to a better fiiltting one with white or silver/chrome light housing with a clear and more reflective clear lens. Instead of OEM orange housing and OEM orange lens
How much for a set? Also, did you tint your fog lights yellow or did you spray paint it?
Old 08-06-14, 09:32 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pvong713
How much for a set? Also, did you tint your fog lights yellow or did you spray paint it?
No my friend, the fogs are OEM clear, I just used Nokya hyper yellow bulbs on them and the light output is great!
Old 08-06-14, 09:41 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Well heres a few finished photos aswell as OEM vs my clears, will be using them for the first time today but the brightness output was great last night after the install and housing was all put together. Cheers!
Used a regular 4 panel LED wedge bulb on the factory socket:

Comparison of housing & lens to OEM:

Daytime Installed pics:

Light Output comparison:

Finished installed dusk picture:

I am very happy with the turnout and light output, and modern look clear lights give to the front of this car, who knows why lexus chose to put some orange ovals in the front that don't match whatsoever even with the oval in the headlamp. I am much happier to not wanting to shave the bumpers and have them repainted.
Old 08-06-14, 09:46 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Oh and don't mind my Weds not being on... waiting for new tires.
Old 08-06-14, 12:40 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Great job Surfer, they look amazing, but I thought you guys 'over the pond' had to have orange lights on the front and red lights on the rear?
In the UK they are just reflectors because we dont have to have marker lights.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-06-14, 01:46 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WIL44
Great job Surfer, they look amazing, but I thought you guys 'over the pond' had to have orange lights on the front and red lights on the rear?
In the UK they are just reflectors because we dont have to have marker lights.

Cheers
Steve
Thank you!! I believe that the rule in the US is brake color lights and turn signal colors CANNOT be changed. These lights are constants/parking ligts and dont act as turn signals so Im sure it is a legal mod as it doesnt interfere with either brake lights or turn signals. As for clear turn signal light, on my 92 LS the clear corners I bought five years ago (with built in blinkers in same housing) were completely clear but the turn signal light bulb was orange (again, with a deignated light bulb just for turn signal) but not the housing. So corners ON would stay LED white and when the blinkers were on then the ORANGE bulb would project the orange lights and was neverbharrased once in that car while fully VIPd gor any reason, let alone a turn light that was clear but flashed orange. Hope these clears that up!

Quick Reply: Looking for clear bumper lights for SC430