SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

lexus sc 430 vs. lotus elise

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 02:51 PM
adi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus sc 430 vs. lotus elise

Hi, let me start by saying that the sc 430 is a very nice and smoth ride, especially topless. The other day I saw a lotus elise for sale in a parking lot where I live here in nj and I have to admit: I felt there is no comparison between the two. The way they look : Elise is the winner. Later that day I read the 0-60 mph is approx 4.5 sec. that seems extremly fast and since is a manual transmission there will be no 1 sec. hesitation on the engine part when you hit the gas pedal. I noticed it is a convertible but where do the top go?Now my question is : did anybody drove a lotus elise? If yes could you please share the feeling vs. sc 430? Thank you
Old 08-23-08, 10:20 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's a YouTube video of a guy taking off the roof and Elise...it's not nearly as elegant as a hardtop convertible top going down (like the SC430 but, it works).

You're NOT doing this at a traffic light (unless you like getting shot at!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou62x1L2zww

I haven't driven one so, I won't speak to that. However, I'm sure it's a lot more fun and spirited to drive than the SC430...no question. Two totally different cars.

To me though, it seems like it would be tough to make the Elise a daily-driver. Two people, no luggage, period.

The SC430 has a real trunk (until you put the top down) but, when the top is down, there's plenty of room for stuff in the backseat (since only Oompa-Loompa's will fit back there).

Even if you're only using it as an impractical, fun, weekend car...how do you and a friend go golfing? But, the Elise isn't supposed to be that kind of car. It's extremely lightweight and agile. Most reviewers consider it one of the finest handling cars ever made.
Old 08-24-08, 04:39 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile

That video was funny. Reminds me of the time that I owned a Cadillac Allante. The hard top had to handled by two people and hung up on a wall. The soft top was manual, if I recall correctly. One of the reasons I bought the roadster, was the one button top process. My wife puts it up and down with out saying a word to me. She never could deal with the Allante top and didn't like the two latch, electric top on the Jaguar XJS that I owned before getting the roadster.

Old 08-24-08, 06:01 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

the elise has a toyota engine with at most 190hp. the supercharged 290hp version does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds

the sc has a 5speed v8 with like 290hp or so and does 0-60 in like 5.9 (i think)

the elise is pretty but the sc is sexy.

now if u found a lotus exige... then what are u waiting for. but if its an elise i'd get the lexus
Old 08-24-08, 07:45 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your SC430 is your daily driver, I would strongly advise you not trade it in for an Elise. The Elise is basically a street legal track car, and if you plan on daily driving it, I don't think you're going to enjoy it very much, haha
Old 11-30-08, 12:32 PM
goelise
Pole Position

lol! Some of the comments I found pretty amusing. The Elise is meant for the driving enthusiast, not the golfing enthusiast. You will not find enough trunk room for golf clubs. The car is meant for people who will take it out to enjoy the drive itself.

It has a basic radio (unless modded) and if it weren't for the fact that power windows on the Elise is lighter than manual windows, my example of the Elise will have manual windows.

Think of it as the most comfortable motorcycle on the road with 4 wheels.

A soft top can be stowed into its storage area + one small backpack.

A hardtop can be taken off at home by 1 person. There is nowhere on the car to store it.

Its a street legal track car. Period. I've just finished my 3rd driving season with my Elise - love it! My advice is to test drive one. if you find it uncomfortable then your seeing the pluses as to why the Elise is a sportscar.

BTW...The sc430, when I drove it, is nice, good for a daily driver. It comes no where near the raw sportscar lightness of the Elise and the road feel the Lotus gives to the driver. I was looking for a more raw car to replace my old sportscar, the Lotus is what I was looking for.

Last edited by goelise; 11-30-08 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-30-08, 12:55 PM
goelise
Pole Position

Here's a Lotus commercial that helps explain the car, the 2 guys are some of the actual engineers behind the creation of the Elise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XzBI2iN5UA
Old 11-30-08, 01:14 PM
LexFather

The SC and Elise share a steering wheel and wheels and thats about it. The Elise is a track car period. The SC is a true all around GT. Apples to Oranges.

Elise is a cousin though, as stated, it uses a Toyota engine!
Old 11-30-08, 02:03 PM
goelise
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The SC and Elise share a steering wheel and wheels and thats about it. The Elise is a track car period. The SC is a true all around GT. Apples to Oranges.

+1

oh wait, found a Lotus suitable for the golfers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFsc3YX2NAc
Old 11-30-08, 04:02 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adi
Hi, let me start by saying that the sc 430 is a very nice and smoth ride, especially topless. The other day I saw a lotus elise for sale in a parking lot where I live here in nj and I have to admit: I felt there is no comparison between the two. The way they look : Elise is the winner. Later that day I read the 0-60 mph is approx 4.5 sec. that seems extremly fast and since is a manual transmission there will be no 1 sec. hesitation on the engine part when you hit the gas pedal. I noticed it is a convertible but where do the top go?Now my question is : did anybody drove a lotus elise? If yes could you please share the feeling vs. sc 430? Thank you
I can't imagine a comparison of two cars more unlike the other.

The Elise, like all Lotuses, is extremely light, responsive, fast, corners as if it's on rails. It's also noisy, rides like a buckboard, uncomfortable, hot and loud.

I can certainly see wanting both in my garage, but I can't imagine any sort of meaningful comparison between the two. Why don't you compromise and get a Corvette?
Old 11-30-08, 04:21 PM
goelise
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jackalope
The Elise, like all Lotuses, is extremely light, responsive, fast, corners as if it's on rails. It's also noisy, rides like a buckboard, uncomfortable, hot and loud.
noisy = engine is right behind you and even with the touring package that adds a little bit of carpeting to sort of tone down the engine noise, it is still very prominent. Wonderful for a sportscar.

Rides like a buckboard because its hugging every irregularity of the road and communicating that to the driver. That makes the driver better at knowing what is going on with the car when pushing at the limit.

uncomfortable, hot and loud - small prices to pay for the handling.
few reasons - because the coolant lines from the engine located midship to its front mounted horizontally orientated radiator are run fore and aft inside the frame rails. It is these same massive aluminum frame rails that you'll have to slide over when you enter and exit the Elise.

I agree, apples to oranges comparing the two cars, SC430 to the Elise. The Elise is a very focused track car that happens to be street legal.

BTW..I should add - I love the SC430 for what it is - it is a great touring car and plan on buying one for my wife. As you can tell, I also love the Elise for being a great sportscar.

Last edited by goelise; 11-30-08 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-30-08, 06:36 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

In my opinion, even the steering wheel and wheels are completely different between the 2, SC's steering wheel is big and very pretty with flawless wood trim and a bunch of stereo functions at your finger tips, Elise's steering wheel is tiny with no comfort feature at all. The same with the wheels, one is big and heavy, the other is small and lightweight.

Bottom line, they are designed and intended for 2 completely different purposes. One for the track, one for the street.

The only thing I see them being similar is both their tops open.

It is absolutely pointless to compare them.
Old 12-02-08, 06:34 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goelise
I agree, apples to oranges comparing the two cars, SC430 to the Elise. The Elise is a very focused track car that happens to be street legal.

BTW..I should add - I love the SC430 for what it is - it is a great touring car and plan on buying one for my wife. As you can tell, I also love the Elise for being a great sportscar.
I think the Elise is a wonderful car as long as you're looking for a hot sports car. I wouldn't ride in one for more than 100 miles, but that would be a damn fun 100 miles.

As I said, I just don't think it's a valid comparison. It's completely apples and oranges.