SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Drilled/slotted rotors question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 12:04 AM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drilled/slotted rotors question

My apologies if this has been discussed already.

I recently put in drilled/slotted rotors (yes I know about the drilled rotors but it was on sale, so meh).

Now I get a "scraping" noise when I brake. Is this normal? Do I need to "break" in these rotors? It's rather loud and I'm beginning to think that this isn't normal...I might need to put back my stock rotors if this becomes a nuisance...
Old 04-21-08, 10:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

did you change the pads? did you bed / break in the pads on the rotors? you need to do that to avoid squeak. they are all done differently, but usually it's multiple very hard stops from 70mph to 5mph, etc...
Old 04-28-08, 08:09 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default New Slotted And Drilled Rotors

Originally Posted by CAMAracer
My apologies if this has been discussed already.

I recently put in drilled/slotted rotors (yes I know about the drilled rotors but it was on sale, so meh).

Now I get a "scraping" noise when I brake. Is this normal? Do I need to "break" in these rotors? It's rather loud and I'm beginning to think that this isn't normal...I might need to put back my stock rotors if this becomes a nuisance...
I installed new slotted and drilled rotors all the way around also did new posiquite brake pads all around. 2005 sc430 I just liked how cool they looked
You have to bed the pads . i HAD TO make many stops fron 40 to 5 mph then 60 to 40. The idea is to heat them up and then bed them when you stop. I also have the loud scraping noise when I apply the brakes . I have driven about 450 miles and still have the noise. I believe it is normal and may quite down as i put more miles on it. I bought premuim rotors and pads from ebay vendor R1 . Very easy to deal with . Let me know how yours sound after you put on some milage

Buddy mrblister@earthlink.net
Old 04-28-08, 08:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Regardless of the bedding, you will get more noise from a drilled or drilled / slotted and even just slotted rotor. From a light 'shhhsing' when you brake to a 'zzzzzzzzz'' sound a little like when you put a playing card in the spokes of your bike. It's normal for these type of rotors.
Old 04-28-08, 09:03 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you purchased your rotors from those Ebay places then I know what you are referring to. The drill pattern on these rotors make for a very strange sound when braking even lightly in the neighborhood that can be heard from cars next to you.

It sounds exactly like your are scraping though you are not. It can either be annoying or you can just deal with it as it is normal for those rotors.

have not heard this sound from any other drilled rotors I have had as those typically sound similar to what Dave stated above.
Old 05-02-08, 01:13 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for input

I finally figured out what it was. One of the bolts wasn't fasten down tight enough, so there was vibrations coming from the rotor and so when I was braking, it was pressing down unevenly on the pads, creating that weird scrapping sound.

On a side note, it was a pain in the butt to put the pads back in (they fell out when I was moving the caliper). Is there a trick to it? And how in the world do you put the anti-squealing pins on the pads? I can't, for the life of me, figure that one out!
Old 05-02-08, 07:27 PM
biggie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shhzing

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Regardless of the bedding, you will get more noise from a drilled or drilled / slotted and even just slotted rotor. From a light 'shhhsing' when you brake to a 'zzzzzzzzz'' sound a little like when you put a playing card in the spokes of your bike. It's normal for these type of rotors.
same sound here with bremo rotors drilled/slotted. At first i didn't mine the noise...but with the top down it is pushing it.
Old 05-03-08, 11:24 PM
ZGone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it has anything to do with the drilled/slotted rotors. I have drilled rotors all around on my 2003 350Z and my wife’s 2002 SC430 with absolutely no sound at all from either. I did all the brake work myself with aftermarket Tutu and TriNet rotors and EBC Red or Akebono ceramic pads. Does the sound come from all wheels are just one? I would seriously consider checking the assembly and make sure that the pads and shims were installed correctly. You shouldn't be getting any additional noise from the rotor upgrade. I have heard of a swooshing noise for slotted rotors but cross drilled doesn’t result in any increased noise, just look at any Porsche or Vett you see.

Cheers
Old 05-04-08, 08:57 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZGone
I don't think it has anything to do with the drilled/slotted rotors. I have drilled rotors all around on my 2003 350Z and my wife’s 2002 SC430 with absolutely no sound at all from either. I did all the brake work myself with aftermarket Tutu and TriNet rotors and EBC Red or Akebono ceramic pads. Does the sound come from all wheels are just one? I would seriously consider checking the assembly and make sure that the pads and shims were installed correctly. You shouldn't be getting any additional noise from the rotor upgrade. I have heard of a swooshing noise for slotted rotors but cross drilled doesn’t result in any increased noise, just look at any Porsche or Vett you see.

Cheers
That is not true, manyt drilled rotors will cause a whooshing sound while braking from a high speed.
The Ebay rotors sold for these cars will cause a sound as well even at low speeds, even with all hardware properly installed. My neighbors 350z of which I installed his cheapo Ebay rotors do not exhibit any noise but that does not mean that all applications will experience a similar result.
Old 05-08-08, 01:47 PM
Goober430
Driver School Candidate

Is there a recomendation as to what replacement rotors are best?

For the young at hart and those who drive fast

For the granpa set and those who drive on weekends without breaking the speed limit

solid or drilled or drilled and sloted?
Old 05-08-08, 01:54 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have thought the Supra TT brake upgrade would be your best option. Otherwise go full out BBK
Old 05-08-08, 01:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Go for solid unless you want the looks. If you need more performance, upgrade the pads to something with more bite. Dont expect your braking performance/characteristics to change simply by changing rotors. OEM setup is already as good as it gets. Performance/characteristics will not change drastically unless you spend big bucks for some aftermarket big brake kits. Even then, your stopping distance might or might not improve.
Old 05-08-08, 05:22 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, slotted/drilled for looks only as seldom few will require any cooling benefits the offer-minus myself that slides through a 40 mile canyon everyday with extreme stops through almost every apex. Imagine my tire wear.

Supra TT brakes are the best bang for buck in terms of brakes. The braking balance is still similar to OEM and yet they offer substantial reserves over OEM by far and they are dirt cheap with a complete setup under $400.00 if you shop around.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-08-08 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-08-08, 06:55 PM
EddierRo
Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Agreed, slotted/drilled for looks only as seldom few will require any cooling benefits the offer-minus myself that slides through a 40 mile canyon everyday with extreme stops through almost every apex. Imagine my tire wear.

Supra TT brakes are the best bang for buck in terms of brakes. The braking balance is still similar to OEM and yet they offer substantial reserves over OEM by far and they are dirt cheap with a complete setup under $400.00 if you shop around.

Are there any dangers with going with the ebay cheapo rotors? Will they perform the same as oem at least? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-08-08 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-08-08, 06:59 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Those are exactly what I am currently using. No issues with warpage yet with many miles on them. Purchased new after I sold my 6 piston setup. Downside is the strange bee sound when braking. It may annoy some while others may not mind. I have them now on my GX which goes through the same canyon albeit at a slower pace. Had them on my Tundra as well. I generally do not like cheaper parts but am sold on these. Keep in mind that drilled rotors over time will crack at the beveled edge. This holds true for any drilled rotor after some time including the rotors on my Porsches.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-08-08 at 07:07 PM.