SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

NAVTOOL- Did a little searching around.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 04:56 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NAVTOOL- Did a little searching around.

After reading on here how Navtool was the best of the bunch to have if you wanted a backup camera/dvd player capabilities. I looked around for the best deal. Here is what I found.
I received my video adapter by NavTool today. To my surprise it is a re-labeled PAC VCI-X version 2 adapter (with 2 video inputs). It even comes with the same instructions that have been photocopied, and the PAC address is blacked-out.

PAC VCI-GM2
logjam_1911_10130815.gif

Navtool

It is very high-quality, definately not home-made. I guess after seeing the internals, it is worth paying $200. All solid state, no relays, surface mount circuit board, PC board soldered connectors, extruded aluminum box, wire labels, printed graphics.... After reading the instructions, I have a better understanding of how these work. The Video 1 input is for a DVD, or other video source. It is switched on with the contact closure of the pre-wired toggle switch. I read where one guy wired a relay into the power circuit of his DVD player, so this would switch automatically when the DVD player was powered on. (Good idea!) The Video 2 input will automatically switch in when the reverse light comes on (if you wire it that way), regardless of the state of the toggle switch.
So then I searched for PAC VCI-X and found a couple of places selling for below $150 and one place for $89 . Can it be legit?

Old 03-10-08, 05:12 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Looks very similar....

Old 03-10-08, 05:38 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Some more digging
Attention Valued PAC customers:

PAC will NOT honor or support any warranty claims for purchases made on eBAY other than from Integration Solutions. Regardless of what they might tell you in the auction, PAC does not approve of ANY other eBAY seller of our products.

PAC has always sold its products through authorized accounts only. We do this so that you, the consumer, are comforted knowing, you have the most up to date product and will get the best service possible.

Why we don’t encourage consumers from buying from the “cheaper” sellers on eBay:

Sure you can buy from people selling our products cheaper- However, PAC will not warranty any products purchased through unauthorized accounts as they can be selling defective, incomplete and outdated versions of our products. You also run the risk of not getting the technical support, a no hassle return policy, or warranty exchange that any “approved” seller will offer.

At Integration Solutions, you are guaranteed up to date products as well as technical support that is as good as buying direct from PAC.

To find a list of online resources that we do support, please click here for our most recent list.

We appreciate your business.
Old 03-10-08, 05:47 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, I can see one major difference between what's pictured with the PAX kit and what comes with the NavTool; the NavTool comes with a pre-wired Lexus harness. The PAX kit looks like the connector with pigtail wires. Now, they may offer a kit with the Lexus harness and, if they do, that's cool (might just be a generic picture).

However, if they don't, I'd suggest you go with the NavTool. Even with the pre-wired harness, it's not a simple installation. It's VERY tight behind the navigation system in the trunk, the wires for the harness in the car are VERY short, and it's a pain to get to everything since you need to get to the connectors in the BACK of the navigation unit, which is located in the BACK of the trunk.

Also, I do suggest you go with some other option besides the toggle switch it comes with. While the unit is very nicely made, the switch is a POS.

This is what I did...Custom Switch for my Navtool
Old 03-10-08, 05:51 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

I just bought a Navtool from a local member, and the other unit you found does look identical. The only difference I see is that you would have to cut the wires from the connector (navi ecu) and splice in the wires from the unit (pac). The Navtool only needs three wires to be spliced in and the other main Navi wires already have an oem style connector. Therefore, as long as people would not mind doing some extra cutting and wiring then you should be fine, and this should work.

Good find Johnny!!
Old 03-10-08, 05:54 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

The custom harness seems like it might be worth it to avoid headaches.
Old 03-10-08, 05:54 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the replies Greg and Tommy
Old 03-10-08, 05:57 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TLW
Thanks for the replies Greg and Tommy
Johnny,

As long as you have some basic abilities when it comes to wiring and some common sense there is no reason you should pay more for the navtool unit.
If you are considering doing this mod PM me and I'll help you out as much as I can.
Old 03-10-08, 06:07 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Just did the remote start/convertible mod this weekend. I didn't use the Lexus key because I wanted a good range. So far, very cool.

Would love to do what Greg did for the custom install. Heading back down this weekend to have install the swtich to make the rear windows go down also.
Old 03-10-08, 08:49 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

TLW,

What did you mean when you said "I didn't use the Lexus key because I wanted a good range". If you didn't use the Lexus key, what did you use?

I love the LuxLink module but, the range of the factory key makes its usefulness very limiting.
Old 03-12-08, 10:00 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

any better picture of the connectors so we can see which wires to splice instead of buying the navtool one?
Old 03-12-08, 11:15 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Actually working with Navtool to have a GB on here.