SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Jack and spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 12:01 PM
bubblerboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack and spare tire

Friday I picked up my 2005 SC 430. Having owned a 1992 SC 400 and a 1994 LS 400 I am some what familiar with Lexus cars. This particular car needs tires and I am in the process of replacing the run flats with Bridgestone Poll Positions. My question is this. The tire guy questioned me as to whether this car came as new with run flats because it has a jack and he said "a place for a spare" Now I have the original window sticker and it has the run flat "option" listed. Do all the cars come with jacks run flats or not? Not certain what is meant by a place for a spare? I guess what I am asking is how would you tell as to whether run flats were the original equipment. They're on there now I know that. JEH
Old 02-18-08, 12:14 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL

Pretty sure they all came with jacks as standard equipment
Old 02-18-08, 12:18 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

You have all the necessary hardware except for the actual spare tire (jack,breaker bar, tool pouch). I picked up a supra spare for $40 bucks and made my own cover for the tire and it looks fantastic!
Old 02-18-08, 12:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

there is an option to have a donut spare, but most cars don't come with it
Old 02-18-08, 12:32 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the factory spare and I put a couple of Plastic Lawn and Leaf bags down with it so if I ever have to use it the flat tire will be covered because it will have to go on the back seat.
Old 02-18-08, 12:45 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
You have all the necessary hardware except for the actual spare tire (jack,breaker bar, tool pouch). I picked up a supra spare for $40 bucks and made my own cover for the tire and it looks fantastic!
where be the pics man ????
Old 02-18-08, 02:24 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile I did not think about that

Originally Posted by norman52
I have the factory spare and I put a couple of Plastic Lawn and Leaf bags down with it so if I ever have to use it the flat tire will be covered because it will have to go on the back seat.
Golly, that's right, a full size tire probably won't fit in the spare wheel well of the trunk.

I am currently planning to drive across the U.S. on non run flats with no spare. However, I will buy one of those inflator cans and I do have 100 mile tow allowance on my AAA card. I will be in deep sh--, if there is no cell phone service on the interstate in the place where I get a flat.

If I see a junk yard on the way, I will see if I can get a Supra spare and put it in the spare tire wheel well. What years Supra should I ask for and what size is the Supra compact spare?
Old 02-18-08, 02:38 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcpeters
Golly, that's right, a full size tire probably won't fit in the spare wheel well of the trunk.

I am currently planning to drive across the U.S. on non run flats with no spare. However, I will buy one of those inflator cans and I do have 100 mile tow allowance on my AAA card. I will be in deep sh--, if there is no cell phone service on the interstate in the place where I get a flat.

If I see a junk yard on the way, I will see if I can get a Supra spare and put it in the spare tire wheel well. What years Supra should I ask for and what size is the Supra compact spare?
93-98 supra tt
Old 02-18-08, 02:44 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Just ask for a spare tire off any 93-98 Toyota Supra twin turbo, it’s referred to as a space saving spare
(T145/70R17) is the size you need.
You could also look into getting a 2004 Acura TL MT (6mt) tire/wheel - T 145/70R17

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...430+spare+tire

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...430+spare+tire

dam johnny beat me to it,
Old 02-18-08, 07:30 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Default Spare Tire for SC430

Johnny,
Ask and you shall receive!

now keep in mind that I did this all myself and that I really do not have any sewing experience.

supra TT spare $40
vinyl fabric $5
piece of mind which having a spare gives you: priceless

Last edited by Lexiss_sc430; 02-19-08 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-18-08, 07:59 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Well that's just awesome Tommy !! F paying $600+ On the hunt for a spare now.
Old 02-19-08, 06:44 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile Really Great Info on Spare Tire

Thanks to all of you for the very complete info on alternative spare tires.
Old 02-19-08, 10:02 AM
bubblerboy
Driver School Candidate

Here is what I have decided to do. I purchased at Auto Zone a 12 volt inflator, a bottle of tire sealer, and a tire repair kit (tire plug) all products sold under the "slime" label. To this I will add a large tie down strap with ratchet mechanism ( to help get the tire bead against the wheel if needed) and I will also be carrying my AAA card. This will take up less space then a spare and it also was less expensive. A lot less (under $100) I can drop all this stuff into the existing spare tire well with out changing the trunk around, and lets hope I never need to use it. I haven't had to change a tire along the road in more years then I can count. Fact is I believe its been forty years. Hope my luck holds up. The compact spare is probably a better idea but I feel reasonable well covered with what I have done, and I am saving some money and some trunk space which is in rather short supply as it is. Thanks for the help on this fellow SC 430 owners. John Now to get those new Bridgestone Poll Position tires on. Special order in my neck of the woods. Hopefully next week. Looking forward to getting those old run flats off. A little like running on cobble stones.

Last edited by bubblerboy; 02-19-08 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-19-08, 10:06 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If your wheels came with locks make sure you know where the key is stashed.
It took me forever to find mine after I bought the car but I was sure glad I found it.
Old 02-19-08, 10:35 AM
igorxx
Driver

Originally Posted by bubblerboy
Friday I picked up my 2005 SC 430. Having owned a 1992 SC 400 and a 1994 LS 400 I am some what familiar with Lexus cars. This particular car needs tires and I am in the process of replacing the run flats with Bridgestone Poll Positions. My question is this. The tire guy questioned me as to whether this car came as new with run flats because it has a jack and he said "a place for a spare" Now I have the original window sticker and it has the run flat "option" listed. Do all the cars come with jacks run flats or not? Not certain what is meant by a place for a spare? I guess what I am asking is how would you tell as to whether run flats were the original equipment. They're on there now I know that. JEH
I have a 2002. It has jack and runflat tires. No place for spare. You can buy a spare tire kit, pretty expensive. I got rid of the runflats and have a rechargable tire inflation unit in my truck. I have had one flat (nail) as soon as I saw the pressure was low I pulled over, pumped up the tire and went to the nearest tire repair shop.

Quick Reply: Jack and spare tire