SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Custom Switch for my NavTool

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 05:57 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, link to license plate camera frame please.
Old 02-13-08, 06:57 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I got the backup camera from http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com

The one I used was this one...

http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/Me...=SVAC-RC9000NC

They also have it in black here...

http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/Me...t_Code=MV-CAM5

Made installation very simple and clean.
Old 02-13-08, 07:03 PM
Habious

Also TLW, I'll be honest (and I know you were joking but) I don't know if I'd have the b@lls to do this to someone else's expensive car. It took a lot of guts (and a dash of stupidity) for me to really tear into my car like this.

I just kept telling myself that, worst case scenario, I buy a new climate control module. I know they're expensive but, it wouldn't be the end of the world. However, I REALLY didn't want to have to buy one! So, I was nervous the whole time.

It took quite a bit of experimenting and testing to get this to actually work. And there were a couple of times when I had some serious doubts. Was extremely satisfying when I got it to work!
Old 02-13-08, 07:12 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

I'l be honest too, I was half joking. Let me see what a unit goes for on Ebay. I wouldn't hold you responsible one bit if something happened.

Would this be possible? How long did it take for you to do?
Old 02-13-08, 10:07 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

I found one for a decent price. Let me know if I can really send Greg.

Thanks,

Johnny
Old 02-13-08, 10:10 PM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool switch.

Has anyone come up with a better or cheaper way to integrate audio to go with the video input? I want to hook up an iPod w/ video, but don't necessarily feel like buying another $200+ unit for sound if I don't have to.
Old 02-14-08, 02:25 AM
Habious

rsa_supra,

When I originally was looking, the only solution I found that's a DIRECT audio input for an '03 SC430 was the VaisTech unit. However, there are a ton of FM modulator options, if you want to go that route.

When I first installed the Sirius (before I received the VaisTech unit) I used an FM modulator. I'm in the Washington DC metro area and there are NO clear frequencies. I'd find a freq. that was acceptable, drive 15 miles, and would pick up some talk-radio program or just static. I'm a bit of an audiophile nut (the ML stereo was one of the things that attracted me to the SC430) so, static here and there drives me nuts!

I think if you lived in someplace like rural Idaho, the FM modulator would be a potential option. Although, keep in mind that FM does have a smaller dynamic range (difference between the loudest sound and the softest sound) and a lower frequency response (the range from the lowest frequency it can reproduce to the highest frequency it can reproduce) so, even with the "perfect" FM frequency in use, it's not going to sound as good as a direct audio input.

If, to you, the FM radio and a CD sound about the same, then the FM modulator might be an option for you...and it has the added benefit of not requiring any wires or pulling the stereo out of the car.
Old 02-18-08, 10:49 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Thanks. I guess I'll have to get the Vais unit.
Old 02-09-10, 09:39 PM
Tyjay808
Driver School Candidate

I love this mod. I took my 2003 sc to one of the local install shops here in Honolulu along with my navtool and Boyo backup cam. showed them your vid on youtube and told them I want it done just like that. after about 10 min of head scratching. one of the mine install guys said "its impossible.. it must be fake. he cant do that" after seeing your post I cant settle for anything less. Just let me know when I can sent my climate control. and name your price. oh.. I cant wait to see your carpc intall.
Old 02-10-10, 05:07 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Tyjay808, I live outside Washington, D.C., same as Habious. Over the weekend we got a 30 inch dump of snow and another 10 inches last night. Near blizzard conditions are expected today with 40 mile per hour winds. Since Washington, D.C. is a southern city, they have like two snow plows total.

I really don't think this mod can be accomplished by sending Habious your climate control unit. I think you need to fly him to Honolulu to do the work in person on the car. And a really smart guy like Habious can't be expected to locate his own tools, clean up and stuff like that, so that's where I come in.

We don't expect first-class tickets, but do make it a non-stop flight. I gotta go pack.
Old 02-10-10, 06:15 AM
Tyjay808
Driver School Candidate

LMAO..Johnnycake, I know its all over the news. I really feel for you guys. I have a friend that just moved to DC about 3 weeks ago. But dont be so quick to jump on a plane we have our own set of problems out here. Last night it got so cold I had to wear a sweater. and yesterday I got so hot that I could only play 9 holes of golf. so to cool off I wasted almost the whole day hanging out @ Waikiki beach. Couldn't get much of a tan because all of the Hot Japanese tourist walking around in their bikini's blocking the sunlight they have absolutly no conseideration for a single guy trying to get his tan on. So I gave up and went for a swim got tired of that. so I jump in my car put the top down and headed home.. almost wrecked 3 times looking @ all the hot girls walking around Waikiki. I managed to avoid complete disaster and got out of there with only a bit of curb rash. So you see Johnnycake the Grass may not be greener on this side. (no pun intended) its a dog's life.

Last edited by Tyjay808; 02-10-10 at 07:11 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 02-10-10, 06:57 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Warning to all, Habious is one of those few people who is actually smarter than he thinks he is. While up in DC, I planned on doing a few of his mods, including the carputer, thinking he found a good shop. Nope, it is all him. I brought his posts to some very high end installers, and none of them would touch it. While I really appreciate all the work he does, giving us road maps to his success, for me, whenever I see a new one of his posts I grab my drool cup before I read, knowing I don't have the guts to do this stuff.
Old 02-11-10, 07:04 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tips just for a back-up camera

Habious,
Excellent mod.....probably something I would try when my car is out of warranty.

I just want to add a back-up camera. I have a pioneer ND-BC1 lying around unused. I am wondering if I can put this to good use. I am hoping I can tap into the video out either at the GPS box (in the trunk, prefered) or video in at the NAV screen in the car (not prefered...but could try it). I am planning to use a simple 12V relay powered by the reverse light to switch between the camera feed and the GPS feed. Is this workable? I don't have wiring diagram of a SC (mine is 2006) so cannot tell if this is even possible.

What do you think? What about voiding warranty?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-10, 06:19 PM
Habious

Holy old-a$$ thread, Batman!!

Thank you for all of the kind words (especially Options2k, KaiserSea1, and my lovely assistant, JohnnyCake).

Never been accused of faking something on the Internet...love it!

Options2k, you can use the NavTool interface to JUST add a backup camera. JohnnyCake and I installed one on his 2006 a couple of months ago (before the THREE FEET of snow hit). It hooks into the Navigation system in the trunk and it's plug-n-play FOR THE MOST PART. In addition to a multi-pin Y-connector (just plugs in), you've got to grab switched power from somewhere...chassis ground, which is easy to find in the trunk...and you have to tap into the reverse wire on one of the plugs going to the Navigation system. It's all very-easily reversible. You don't have to worry about finding a place to mount the switch, or routing the switch wire up into the passenger cabin area. Took us about 2 hours (but I'd done it before).

Unfortunately, last time I looked, the pictures don't work on PearlPower's most-excellent post that detailed installing the Navtool.

TyJay808...for Post #26, whatever I was going to charge you...just doubled.

While I'd be willing to have my long-legged and very-sexy lawyer write up a "it's-not-my-fault-no-matter-WHAT-I-did" contract and work out a fair price with you, the timing...for lack of a better word...sucks.

We're literally JUST putting our place up on the market (the listing goes live tomorrow). So, everything's packed up in boxes and is halfway across town in a storage unit. I've still got access to my tools but, all of my parts, wires, and circuit modules needed to make another one of these is currently unavailable. Not to mention the fact that the wife would toss me over the balcony (10th floor condo...ouch) if I spread out all of my tools and tore into an all-day project on the dining room table right now (one of the reason's we're selling is that we've got no space to work on our respective hobbies/projects. The new place WILL have a workshop/basement and/or garage).

Gimme a little time to get this settled, and I think we can work something out, if you're still in the market.
Old 02-23-10, 02:33 AM
Tyjay808
Driver School Candidate

Default Need help with Boyo install.

Habious... I'm still im the market and plan on it for quite a while. but for now i decided to do the basic install for my Navtool and Boyo. I got the Navtool working ok but Im still up in the air about what media input to use. I was seriously thinking about this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT what do you think? and im having a hell of a time installing my Boyo VTL200. I can't figure out what im doing wrong. this is what ive done so far blue Camera/12V wire from NT to YEL/RED wire (REVERSE) NEXT: ground BLK wire from boyo to white/black wire Ground. connect RED wire from Boyo to GREY power wire. and that's all. you see anything wrong please let me know. Thanks. oh by the way ive been pricing climate controls on ebay. I found two under $200 and one at $250. just let me know ready when you are.

Quick Reply: Custom Switch for my NavTool