SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Broken lug nut

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 02:12 PM
rnourse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken lug nut

Y'know that 5th lug nut on every wheel? The McGard one with the special key? Well 3 of the 4 came off fine but on the front left it didn't...

The 'key' appears to have given out, as though the metal was too soft and the lug nut chipped off about 20% with the result that now I cant get the lug off!

I now have three wheels with 205/50/r16 snows on them (is300 rims) and a fourth with 245/45/18 on the sc430 rim. I cant figure out how to get the fourth wheel off 'cause of the broken lug nut and I can't undo the other three because the key is no longer functional. Obviously I cant drive it anywhere either.... Grrr!

Any ideas?
Old 01-13-08, 03:39 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are certain lug nut keys made that allow you to remove any of those special lug nuts. Or if you rather do it the cave man way you can find a smaller socket that's required and hammer it into place over the lug nut, then carefully begin to unscrew it (usually the lug nuts are tapered and so the smaller socket will wedge itself in there). I've personally tried this and it works, now its just up to you if you want to get it off now or go in search of that special lug nut remover.
Old 01-13-08, 04:47 PM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
Or if you rather do it the cave man way you can find a smaller socket that's required and hammer it into place over the lug nut, then carefully begin to unscrew it (usually the lug nuts are tapered and so the smaller socket will wedge itself in there).
If you can't get a grip with the socket, then perhaps try a Dremel tool to create some flat spots (this is going to be very slow going unfortunately). It wouldn't hurt to soak where the nut contacts the wheel with PB Blaster first if you have some (though it probably won't help a lot). The next step would be to apply some heat to the nut with a torch. The _next_ step...well, then you're going to have to "get medieval" on it.
Old 01-13-08, 04:48 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

This is an extremely common problem for those keyed lugnuts, regardless of manufacturer. I learned the hard way with my last car late one Sunday night.

First service after getting my SC430 I told the dealer to remove all the keyed lugnuts.

Besides, when is the last time you saw a car up on blocks with the wheels stolen?
Old 01-13-08, 06:00 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

haha just never know. i was talking to my teller at the bank. he was like man. i was like whats wrong. he was like let me show pictures. i was like okay. looking at it i saw his m3 on some logs. so i though it was a prank and i was like what. he was like yea some people stole my m3 wheel. i was like gaw damm haha.
Old 01-13-08, 06:10 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Besides, when is the last time you saw a car up on blocks with the wheels stolen?
Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
haha just never know. i was talking to my teller at the bank. he was like man. i was like whats wrong. he was like let me show pictures. i was like okay. looking at it i saw his m3 on some logs. so i though it was a prank and i was like what. he was like yea some people stole my m3 wheel. i was like gaw damm haha.

haha yea people in LA are scandalous, We were at a Hollywood club a while back, and as we left and were turning onto a side street this guys car was up on bricks... well they just dropped the back end on the floor and it had 1 cinder block holding up the front end. If people see the opportunity they will do anything....
Old 01-13-08, 06:10 PM
rnourse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Two weeks ago... neighbor's Jag across the street. As one of the cops said "If you're gonna go steal a car you might as well go where the good ones are!"
Old 01-13-08, 06:33 PM
rnourse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
Or if you rather do it the cave man way you can find a smaller socket that's required and hammer it into place over the lug nut, then carefully begin to unscrew it (usually the lug nuts are tapered and so the smaller socket will wedge itself in there). I've personally tried this and it works, now its just up to you if you want to get it off now or go in search of that special lug nut remover.
Brilliant!! Absolutely F*ggin Brilliant!!

Took 5 minutes total... Now I need to buy:
  1. A New Socket
  2. Four Non-locking lug nuts

I mean if it comes off that easily with a socket then why bother with the locking nuts? The only person it's ever going to inconvenience is me!

BTW: Thank you very much for the tip...
Old 01-14-08, 07:26 AM
rnourse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
i was talking to my teller at the bank. he was like man. i was like whats wrong. he was like let me show pictures. i was like okay. looking at it i saw his m3 on some logs. so i though it was a prank and i was like what. he was like yea some people stole my m3 wheel. i was like gaw damm haha.
your bank teller drives an m3??? You might want to check the interest rate this "bank" is giving you
Old 01-15-08, 02:49 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the lug nut key strip out completely, but luckily JPI found one so that I could remove those *&%$#!! locking lugnuts.

I am using the Gorilla ones now that are different: http://www.gorilla-auto.com/

Take a look.
Old 01-15-08, 04:42 PM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

Glad it worked out for you in the long run.

I've never been a fan of any of the locking lug systems. I don't think they work as a deterent for people out there steeling lugs as the thiefs have the universal wrenches (similar to the ones that many tow truck drivers use) that don't even use the locking mechanism to get the wheels off.

My son's wheel were stolen on campus (UCLA) and when the officers came out, they pretty much told him that the wheel locks are useless to thieves searching for wheels and and that opportunistic wheel thieves are rare. They explained that since chrome wheels, spinners, 20+ inch wheels, etc. have gotten so popular (and expensive), so have the wheel lock technologies. However, nothing seems to have slowed down thefts.

Sad thing that so many people out there are willing to take someones property, but just a reality of the matter...
Old 03-19-12, 02:45 PM
km4ent
Driver School Candidate

Smile This is by far the best solution. Notice the 12 point socket!

Originally Posted by rnourse
Brilliant!! Absolutely F*ggin Brilliant!!

Took 5 minutes total... Now I need to buy:
  1. A New Socket
  2. Four Non-locking lug nuts

I mean if it comes off that easily with a socket then why bother with the locking nuts? The only person it's ever going to inconvenience is me!

BTW: Thank you very much for the tip...
Worked like a charm! Important note, make sure you use a 12 Point Socket, the 6 Point Socket did not work. I also broke a gator-grip socket! Also make sure the socket is 1/16th smaller than the one you used for the normal lug nuts nuts. Thank you!
Old 03-19-12, 04:17 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

They make special sockets for removing wheel locks - look here:
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-19-12, 08:30 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy lug nut keys and sets at auto parts stores or Amazon - why bother. Thieves can afford to do the same. Just take them off and replace with regular lug nuts. Can you imagine having your locking lug nut failing somewhere out on the road? Isn't that why we carry homeowners and auto insurance? I dumped all mine the first time one broke on me and I found out that it's a common occurrence.
Old 03-20-12, 09:52 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Wheel lugs including the locks must be torque'd properly, @ 75 ft-lbs.

If they are torque'd the right way, then no chance of bolts sticking and no exceptional force required.