SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How do you change a tail/brake light on a 2003 SC430

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 09:57 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Prasha, I believe 7443 is the tail light bulb number, but those specific LED's will probably trip the ECU computer and make your dash error light illuminate. Just thought you should know.
It sure will. Why don't you just do a conversion to LED tails?
Old 07-06-15, 10:09 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

The LED Tail upgrade gets a little pricey (esp with the ECU), but I'm also not a fan of the dash error light... nor the idea of covering it up with black tape (which I feel eliminates a beneficial safety features of this car).
Old 07-06-15, 12:35 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Prasha, I believe 7443 is the tail light bulb number, but those specific LED's will probably trip the ECU computer and make your dash error light illuminate. Just thought you should know.
True, but I am told its ok with tail light bulbs but the turn signal lights make your dash error light illuminate. Can anyone verify?
Old 07-06-15, 01:05 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha
True, but I am told its ok with tail light bulbs but the turn signal lights make your dash error light illuminate. Can anyone verify?
That's not true. Another member and I took on a huge testing of the lighting system. Search for Angel Eyes Brake Lights for the thread. The dash error light will illuminate with any change to the stop or tail light to LED, sometimes after a few minutes of driving once the brake pedal is pressed. Blinkers never triggered the dash light BUT did lead to hyperflashing. There is a product for blinkers called Error Free that I use but I did have to alter the plastic housing of the tail lights. I had to break out the 'cup' inside the bulb holder since the error free bulb is taller than OEM bulb.
Old 07-07-15, 11:47 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

That's not true. Another member and I took on a huge testing of the lighting system. Search for Angel Eyes Brake Lights for the thread. The dash error light will illuminate with any change to the stop or tail light to LED, sometimes after a few minutes of driving once the brake pedal is pressed. Blinkers never triggered the dash light BUT did lead to hyperflashing. There is a product for blinkers called Error Free that I use but I did have to alter the plastic housing of the tail lights. I had to break out the 'cup' inside the bulb holder since the error free bulb is taller than OEM bulb.
I have 2 choices.

1) Buy 1 OEM replacement bulb at any auto supply store.

2) Replace with 2 LEDs and live with the dash light. (I have the tire pressure light on, bothered me initially but now not so much...eventually one day will replace the sensors!)

I am not willing to go through what u guys have been ......thanks for the clarity and input.
Old 07-24-15, 07:28 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

I bought and installed the 2X White "7443 7440 9 In-line LED Brake Turn Signal Rear Light Bulb Lamp 12V" for $1.22 from China

No dash lights until touch brakes every time I turn key on to start.

I found this "LED Brake Tail Light Lamp Bulb Socket Base Adapter Converter " is it for keeping the dash indicator off?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111208512193?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 02-02-16, 02:08 PM
KenAtlGa
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So, I have read other replies and looked at other pictures and finally figured out the instructions. Here are some pictures with instructions I made after wasting two hours reading and looking.
Old 02-02-16, 02:15 PM
KenAtlGa
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SC430 Step-by-step photos to change tail lightbulbs

Just look at the photos I took to change any of the tail light bulbs on a Lexus SC430. I wasted a couple of hours reading text before figuring this out (and I have rebuilt cars from scratch so let's make this simple).
Attached Thumbnails How do you change a tail/brake light on a 2003 SC430-step-1.jpg   How do you change a tail/brake light on a 2003 SC430-step-2.jpg   How do you change a tail/brake light on a 2003 SC430-step-3.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by KenAtlGa:
buddhi (05-23-21), Oomfh (12-24-18)
Old 08-14-16, 05:44 PM
Dink
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing an SC430 break light (with photos)

Here is a step by step guide to replacing the taillight bulbs in a SC430. Cheers!
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by Dink:
maarp (03-13-19), robbieboy (07-16-17)
Old 07-16-17, 05:56 PM
robbieboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dink. Your attached guide was very helpful in helping me replace a burnt out brake light bulb. I followed the instructions and managed not to damage the clip (YAY!). It only took like 10 minutes. I am waiting for my LED replacement bulbs to arrive to install in place of the original incandescent bulbs. I will post again to let you know if I have any issues with the icon lamp on the dash remaining on after the LED bulbs are installed as some owners have indicated might or could happen
Old 07-16-17, 06:28 PM
robbieboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dink
Here is a step by step guide to replacing the taillight bulbs in a SC430. Cheers!
Here is a picture of the removed tail light assembly
Old 07-19-17, 05:57 PM
robbieboy
Driver School Candidate

Default LED Tail Light Brake Bulb causes Dash Light to Remain ON !

Just received my 7443 LED replacement brake light bulb and much to my chagrin the dashboard icon light remained on with the LED bulb installed. I will now purchase a 7443 incandescent bulb as the replacement which should cause the dashboard light to turn off
Old 07-19-17, 05:58 PM
robbieboy
Driver School Candidate

If others had a different experience with a 7443 LED lightbulb replacement turning the dashboard indicator light off, let me know.
Old 07-20-17, 03:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by robbieboy
If others had a different experience with a 7443 LED lightbulb replacement turning the dashboard indicator light off, let me know.
it will always happen because LEDs do not provide a load on the circuit.

if you installed a power resistor, the dash light would stay off. Others have removed the dash and placed black tape over the light.
Old 07-20-17, 10:49 AM
robbieboy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bgw70, that explains why the dash light remains on. It thinks the bulb is out. I really like the light output from the LED bulb so I am going to purchase a couple of load resisters for each tail light and install. Is there a recommended wattage for the resistor? Thanks

Quick Reply: How do you change a tail/brake light on a 2003 SC430