SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

:mad: Should lexus Pay for damages?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-07, 01:41 AM
John007
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :mad: Should lexus Pay for damages?

Ok, guys I bought a bottle of leather cleaner at lexus dealership and followed the exact instructions on the bottle and now both my back seat headrest is pealing and the upper part of my back seat is pealing, driver side arm rest is discolored, middle center console is discolored as well as parts of the seats are slowly discoloring discoloring not really noticeable, but its just pissing me off that its discoloring. I have tried cleaning it over with water and it makes it worst. What should I do? Bring back my car to the dealership and make them replace all the leather that are damage in my car? or just deal with it? I have contact the lexus.com which said they don't recommend that kind of brand for cars and will not do anything for me. Than why do they sell this brand at lexus dealership?
Old 12-25-07, 03:12 AM
KevsSC
Intermediate

What is the brand that you got?
Old 12-25-07, 10:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow man, what the heck is the brand that you bought from lexus?! sounds like something pretty bad. i guess you can only try to go back to dealership and make them pay for the damages (maybe demonstrate using the stuff in front of them and see it goes bad)
Old 12-25-07, 10:28 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

That sucks!

I would take it back and like rominl said, demonstrate how it discolors your leather in front of them. I would hope that Lexus would own up to their mistake and fully reimburse you with leather/seats and whatever else it discolored.

Hope it all works out! Just make sure you take it back asap.
Old 12-25-07, 12:49 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Some more information would be helpful, any pictures of the seats and bottle?
Old 12-25-07, 03:14 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't say whether the cleaner you used is a Lexus-endorsed product. If I recall correctly, Lexus provides a brochure and instructions with your car explaining how to clean and condition your leather seats and surfaces. If so, and if what you did is not consistent with those instructions, then you probably won't have much recourse regarding Lexus. It may be a different matter as for the dealership, however. I think your best option is to bring this to the attention of the dealership. Before approaching the dealer, you may want to consider having a professional leather repair company look at the damage and provide an opinion regarding what, if any of the damage, was caused by the cleaner you used.

I'm sorry that this happened to you.
Old 12-25-07, 03:42 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get an Attorney and Sue, Merry Christmas BTW.
Old 12-25-07, 03:57 PM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

What brand was it - is it an official lexus approved brand or did you just buy it at the dealership. If not lexus approved, it's doubtful you'll have any luck with them. However, there is an 'implied contract' if you bought it from the dealer and it was in fact found to cause the damage.

Obviously, you'll have to prove the damage was from the leather cleaner they sold you and that you applied correctly. I've used several different leather cleaners on my car (whatever is cheapest at the time) and have never had an issue. So I am very curious which brand you used as I thought they were all the same - until now.
Old 12-26-07, 01:21 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

To chime in with everyone else -- what brand was it?

It would be a hard lawsuit. They will probably claim it reacted with whatever product you used before the one sold by the dealership.

Or the dealership may claim that it wasn't for your specific car model and claim that you just bought it over-the-counter and how were they supposed to know what car you were going to use it on.

It does seem odd that any leather care product would damage leather and cause peeling, which is a mindset you'd have to overcome with the judge.

By the time you hired a lawyer and expert witness, you're probably out more money then you'd recover. This is such a bummer -- you must be going crazy mad!
Old 12-26-07, 01:43 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what exactly did you buy?
Old 12-26-07, 07:02 PM
John007
Driver

The brand is called "leather" they don't sell those black bottle I have asked, but they said this is the only brand tehy offer and it was safe for my lexus... I don't think it was safe... They should pull this brand out of the sell department... I'll post pictures sometime tomarrow for you guys...
Old 12-26-07, 07:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

definitely talk to dealership asap
Old 12-26-07, 07:14 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe I know the brand, it is the common bottle all dealerships sell-yes? I thought they had yellow labels though. I used it before, never any issues. Something is certainly wrong. All I can say is that of the 30,000+ bottle of leather cleaner sold in my stores of all the major brands, not one complaint ever so I guess my point is-what your bottle sealed or do those bottles not come sealed-curious if some joker poured something in there that should not be. I would think something as caustic would give off a noticeable odor.
Keep us up to date
Old 12-30-07, 03:38 PM
Baker
Driver School Candidate

sounds to me that someone sprayed the leather prior to you owning it and now the cleaner is removing the paint??? Leather doesn't peel and the color is in the tanning process .
Old 12-30-07, 06:02 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baker
sounds to me that someone sprayed the leather prior to you owning it and now the cleaner is removing the paint??? Leather doesn't peel and the color is in the tanning process .
Its not the leather peeling, its the dye. The Lexus Car leather dye color is painted on with a thin coat of clear over it.