SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

VAIS XM/Sirius Satellite Radio: Crappy marketing, great product

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 12:55 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default VAIS XM/Sirius Satellite Radio: Crappy marketing, great product

I'm a pretty smart guy, but reading the VAIS website about the add-on XM or Sirius radio was totally confusing. Part of it is the fact that they do not take the time to provide full model-specific information, relying instead on statements like:

"Satellite Radio will work just like factory Satellite Radio." Of course, the SC430 doesn't have satellite radio, so this means......????

"Some functional limitations could apply depending on the Lexus model." OK, which functions? You mean I find out after I buy it and install it?

"SAT emulation available for most models" -- Gee, I hope it includes the SC430 after I go to the trouble of buying it and installing it.

THE FACTS:

This unit is AWESOME!!

CONTROLS:
Everything can be controlled through the steering wheel -- MODE changes through three banks of six presets each. Channel up/down goes from preset to preset. Volume also works from the steering wheel. Individual channels can be tuned in via the same **** you'd turn on the radio to tune FM stations.

VOICE COMMAND SUPPORTED: Somehow the Nav lady knows this unit. You can go to a satellite bank by stating: "Satellite One [or two or three]" and the nav lady will repeat it back, just like she does with other commands.

DISPLAY: The head unit display will display the ARTIST or channel name, or song. Best yet, it will STAY on whatever you select, unlike the FM radio which defaults back.

I can't imagine how a factory unit (using the head for display) would improve on this. If you are thinking of an Xmas present for yourself -- this is the one.

P.S. And thanks Habious for a first-class install
Old 12-15-07, 02:02 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

what model year is your sc? vais says it fits "some sc430s"...
Old 12-15-07, 02:22 PM
bt430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johnny mentions that voice command works. That means he got bluetooth so he's got an 05 or above.
Old 12-15-07, 03:40 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Good detective work -- mine's 2006. But Whitels makes the exact point about their crappy marketing. They should have a specific list of what features work with what model years.
Old 12-15-07, 07:08 PM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree on the Vias unit I love it. No problems. I have an 07 and actually did not know about voice recognition or blue tooth.. Is the info in the manual? If so I must have missed it. ???
Old 12-16-07, 06:10 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by surteco
I agree on the Vias unit I love it. No problems. I have an 07 and actually did not know about voice recognition or blue tooth.. Is the info in the manual? If so I must have missed it. ???
Nope, not in the manual. VAIS must be run entirely by engineers. You'd think it would be a feature they'd want to market.

I found it completely by mistake yesterday when the Nav lady misinterpreted what I was asking for. But it is nice now to be able to go to Satellite bank 1 directly from Satellite bank 2 without going through SAT3, CD, AM, FM1, and FM2.
Old 12-16-07, 12:40 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will it work with an '02

I just bought a 2002 SC with 15,000 original miles on it. I'd like to install satellite but dont' want extra wires and equipment clutterign up such a clean interior. Will the VAIS unit work with and '02 stock model? without the bluetooth?
Old 12-16-07, 11:15 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
I just bought a 2002 SC with 15,000 original miles on it. I'd like to install satellite but dont' want extra wires and equipment clutterign up such a clean interior. Will the VAIS unit work with and '02 stock model? without the bluetooth?
The universal unit will work which only has two inputs. No text display and no steering wheel control. It only operates as a audio input. All controls will still be controlled on the actual device.
Old 12-24-07, 10:23 AM
JLA
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I'm a pretty smart guy, but reading the VAIS website about the add-on XM or Sirius radio was totally confusing. Part of it is the fact that they do not take the time to provide full model-specific information, relying instead on statements like:

"Satellite Radio will work just like factory Satellite Radio." Of course, the SC430 doesn't have satellite radio, so this means......????

"Some functional limitations could apply depending on the Lexus model." OK, which functions? You mean I find out after I buy it and install it?

"SAT emulation available for most models" -- Gee, I hope it includes the SC430 after I go to the trouble of buying it and installing it.

THE FACTS:

This unit is AWESOME!!

CONTROLS:
Everything can be controlled through the steering wheel -- MODE changes through three banks of six presets each. Channel up/down goes from preset to preset. Volume also works from the steering wheel. Individual channels can be tuned in via the same **** you'd turn on the radio to tune FM stations.

VOICE COMMAND SUPPORTED: Somehow the Nav lady knows this unit. You can go to a satellite bank by stating: "Satellite One [or two or three]" and the nav lady will repeat it back, just like she does with other commands.

DISPLAY: The head unit display will display the ARTIST or channel name, or song. Best yet, it will STAY on whatever you select, unlike the FM radio which defaults back.

I can't imagine how a factory unit (using the head for display) would improve on this. If you are thinking of an Xmas present for yourself -- this is the one.

P.S. And thanks Habious for a first-class install
I am waiting for the delivery of a 2008 RX400H. I do want XM. What are the advantages of this unit over the Lexus supplied option?
Old 12-24-07, 10:27 AM
SC430Sam
Driver

Well if the car comes with it, that is the best. If the car does not come with it, and you have to have it installed, the dealer uses this exact same device, and they will just charge and arm and a leg to install. No advantages disadvantages on the unit itself, except some dealers add it to the warranty if anything goes wrong with it.

Hope this helps!