SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC getting dated compared to Lexus lineup.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 11:34 PM
Shawn808
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC getting dated compared to Lexus lineup.

I just stopped by the Lexus dealership yesterday to look at a few cars they had. I wasnt keeping up with the Lexus line for the past year or so and while looking around I noticed how their entire car line up is majority redesigned EXCEPT for the SC430. (SUVs look the same though)

Everything from the previously boxy LS to the baby IS looks totally new. Sleeker more streamlined etc. Even the GS looks almost nothing like the more taller boxy-er earlier version. From headlight to tail-light a total redesign.

Before at the Lexus dealership the older and rounded box type LS, GS and IS to me matched the SC better. Taller side profile, more stubby looking, the SC fit right in, but now at the dealership to me the SC sticks out bigtime! Even the sales guy told me that everyone now comes in wants the GS or IS and that they are asking why the SC looks the same. He even went as far to tell me that I am not the first one to say the car is looking dated compared to the rest of the lineup.

I LOVE the SC but with no "spy shots" or anything of a 08 model I am wondering what Lexus is waiting for? Is Toyota just concentrating on the new Supra or something??
Attached Thumbnails SC getting dated compared to Lexus lineup.-g_ext5.jpg  
Old 11-12-07, 12:23 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn808
I LOVE the SC but with no "spy shots" or anything of a 08 model I am wondering what Lexus is waiting for? Is Toyota just concentrating on the new Supra or something??

At this time, the current rumor is that the SC will be discontinued (hence the lack of news). For a time, it was rumored that the LF-A will become the 3rd gen SC, but that idea is now defunct.

So far, the LF-A is their primary goal as far as the front for performance is concerned. If the SC is not discontinued, I can see it being the "cruiser coupe" for Lexus (similar to that of MB's CL-Series) whereas the LF-A will be the "performance coupe" (similar to that of MB's SL-Series).

At this time, 2009 is the year for the LF-A, GX, and RX. Nothing has surfaced regarding the "resurrection" of the SC.

My previous guess for the longest time was that the LF-A will be the SC-F, with a "regular" SC460 being the "conservative version" of a detuned, destylized LF-A/SC-F. That hypothesis is becoming less and less valid...
Old 11-12-07, 05:19 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Well, my opinion might not be the norm on this topic but for me this is GREAT!

The fewer people buy SC430's the better, if its discontinued without an immediate 'replacement' whether be SC460, SC500 etc that is icing on cake for me. Why? I bought it because NO ONE modifies an SC430 if you look at it compared to other Lexus's (-SUV's) or even compared to all the car companies in the same class. That is why you will be more unique than mostly anything on the road. I don't care about value loss, depreciation , book value, yadda yadda. I bought this car for one purpose, modify the HELL out of it and enjoying it PERIOD.
Old 11-12-07, 05:34 PM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

I don't think the style of the car is dated, It's always been 'unique' to me and stood/stands out from the rest of the line-up and everything else on the road. That's one of the things that attracted me to it. However, I do think it's dated when it comes to technology - ventilated seats, back-up camera, keyless start etc, that's where I wish updating would take place.
Old 11-14-07, 01:43 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
Well, my opinion might not be the norm on this topic but for me this is GREAT!

The fewer people buy SC430's the better, if its discontinued without an immediate 'replacement' whether be SC460, SC500 etc that is icing on cake for me. Why? I bought it because NO ONE modifies an SC430 if you look at it compared to other Lexus's (-SUV's) or even compared to all the car companies in the same class. That is why you will be more unique than mostly anything on the road. I don't care about value loss, depreciation , book value, yadda yadda. I bought this car for one purpose, modify the HELL out of it and enjoying it PERIOD.
Dang, I didn't realize our cars are being considered outdated which makes it even more unique and a rare classic down the road.

I'm glad I bought this nice toy to treasure for the rest of my life.
Old 11-14-07, 02:28 PM
Addiction2
Driver

I don't think its dated externally, just unique. However the interior, and some of the features are a bit dated. The entire control cluster should probably be redone and things like keyless start should be added.