SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

They are trying to talk me into the SL500 !

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 04:25 PM
Shawn808
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They are trying to talk me into the SL500 !

Ever since I sold my SC430 early this year I have been missing it and want to buy another one. I got a super good deal on my first one buying it used, but due to personal and financial reasons at the time I had to give it up. Well those issues are now resolved. New better job etc. and for the past few months I have been wanting to pick up another SC430. I have always loved the reliability and solid construction of Toyota's. HOWEVER many of my friends and co-workers are pushing me to buy a used per-certified Mercedes SL550 since its about the same price or slightly a bit more. I test drove one at Mercedes and I must say that thing is a beast! However I realize its a different type of car, plus I am not sure with all this new Mercedes headlight updates if the SL550 will look really dated in the next couple of years with its current circle type headlights.

So please help me fellow Soarer owners on how to defend the Lexus flagship vs the Mercedes flagship!
Old 11-07-07, 06:21 PM
DivX007
Driver

no defending *^^*

If someone buys MB over Lexus, it is that person's loss!!!!!!!!!

MB is very ugly and weird looking to me personally.
Old 11-07-07, 06:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the sl is one of the best stylish car out there imho, in terms of style i would pick that over the sc430 any day. but reliability is one issue that simply put me away. some owners are lucky, but couple of my friends got pretty familiar with their c class loaners

anyway, they are different cars, the sl is a lot more fun to drive i am sure. but are you sure you can get "pretty much the same price" for the sl550? i thought the sl550 came out as 07, just one yr they dropped from 100k to 60k?! that hurts..... otherwise i think you mean sl500

and if you talk about dated, the sc430 has been around since 2001, and it will be under redesign probably for 09. that won't help much on the sc430 style neither

i owned the sc430 and i love lexus, i hope i am being objective
Old 11-07-07, 06:53 PM
Shawn808
Driver

Thanks for the info guys, very informative. Your right they are two very different cars.

rominl yes your right my bad I meant SL500. But the newer one with the retractable hard top not the boxy one.
Old 11-07-07, 06:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah, of course, if you get the boxy one i am goingn to kick you the sl500 style is amazing, i still drool over it every time i see one. specially with the top down, just wow.

like what my friends tell me (who has the car). it's an amazing car -- when it runs
Old 11-07-07, 07:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn808
plus I am not sure with all this new Mercedes headlight updates if the SL550 will look really dated in the next couple of years with its current circle type headlights.
I actually prefer the current peanut shape headlights to the new one which many reported will be similar to the CLS's. The current SL is a beautiful design that will remain a classic nomatter what the facelifted one looks like IMO.

I won't necessarily pick a used SL500 over used SC430, the SL is more fun to drive, but the SC430 is better built with better interior & has a much better reliablity record.

Much stronger case for a new SL550 over a new SC430 though, the SL got a lot more upgrades in comparison. Mercedes had done a lot more to improve the car since it came out.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-07-07 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-07-07, 07:26 PM
Addiction2
Driver

I've owned a SL500 and Rom' said it best. Its a beast, when it runs. I owned the car a little over a year, and I spent about 3-4 months in loaners. And if it ever gets to the point when you have to pay for repairs you'll be missing the days you might have spent $1200 on your SC.

The SC430 is nice style wise, but the SL is in a class by itself in that department if you ask me. But it is not, in my opinion, an everyday driver because it doesn't hold up to everyday use.

However here is what I would say: If you are talking an 03 or later, and it has enough warranty to cover all your miles for your planned period of ownership go for it. If it doesnt fit in that category find yourself a cheap 02 SC and wait for the restyle and trade up. I was facing the same decision (tho I also had the new XKR in my decision matrix) and thats exactly the path I chose.
Old 11-07-07, 07:27 PM
Shawn808
Driver

OK WOW this is allot harder then I thought it would be, esp hearing all the positive responses about the SL. I guess the SL is a classic sports tourer thats why? Like a car guys kind of super car?

I have three friends who work on Mercedes one at the dealership and two at a euro tuner shop here. From listening to them the SL does have some electronic bugs from time to time due to all of that tech stuff but overall they agree its a great car. (they are some of those pushing for me to get one).

The problem is I love Lexus. No wait let me rephrase that. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LEXUS. Just the fit and finish and reliability alone has me sold, but that SL is so darn tempting! Sleek, hardtop convertible, nice interior, loads of power without delay. ugg that thing just rocks. I saw a black SL the other day with black rims with a chrome lip and its just gorgeous. UGG why does it have to be so difficult!

*Robarapta does that mean you would get a SL500 over a SC430 if you had a choice?
Attached Thumbnails They are trying to talk me into the SL500 !-19.jpg  
Old 11-07-07, 07:41 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Robarapta does that mean you would get a SL500 over a SC430 if you had a choice?
I was looking at getting a SL500 before buying the SC430 5 years ago. The reason I got the SC430 was a waiting list of up to 2 years at that time for the SL500 since it just came out & the demand was very high.

Another reason was the reliability reputation of Mercedes was plummeting at the time. It was my first purchase of an expensive high end car, & I was hesitant to spend that kind of money for a car that can potentially give me a lot of problems, & the SL turned out to be very unreliable according to Consumer Report's survey, & the SC430 is the most reliable, so I didn't regret my decision one bit, as I got a lot of joy owning the SC430 too.
But I am sure the SL500 would be a joy to own if it's a weekend only car & you are willing to live with the reliability issues it can give you.
Old 11-07-07, 08:39 PM
Addiction2
Driver

Like a car guys kind of super car?
I wouldn't go quite that far. In my mind that kind of territory is stamped out for a Masarati (another car I was considering) or AM, those bad boys. But in my opinion the SL tops out the market segment that includes the XK, 6 series BMW and SC430. I personally think the Jag is much better done than the SC style wise but the hard top was a big seller for me since I drive the car with the top up more than down.

If this is going to be an everyday driver its the SC hands down. If your living that lifestyle that allows multiple hot whips you pick the SL. Its really as simple as that to me. Style wise both are a step down from the XK in my opinion, if your not dying for a hard top convertible look at those. Heck its even got integrated ipod controls, other than wheels it donest need a blessed thing.
Old 11-07-07, 08:56 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

btw u gotta thinking about maintenance for the car, which car is more reliable and whatnot. good luck finding the car for u.
Old 11-07-07, 09:25 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

I feel the same about Mercedes as I do with my electronics.....as soon as I buy the latest thing, there is something newer and better that comes right out. Just like those people who bought the SL500, of course not long after there is a SL550. Why doesn't Mercedes just make a car and MASTER it like Lexus has done with the SC430 (even though they were near mastering it the first year into production).

My friend had a brand new SL500, and with 4000 miles on it, the top got stuck down. After that....it was immediately for sale. For a car that expensive, there is no excuse for such bad reliability. Also, in Orlando, Atlanta, and other cities I am often in, I see a much greater amount of SL500/550/55/65s around than SC430. Do you want to be lost in the crowd (which is hard to imagine because it is such a nice looking car, just over populated)? Go with a car you will ALWAYS be happy with, not just sometimes happy with.
Old 11-08-07, 12:40 AM
Shawn808
Driver

OMG the SL500 looks SO NICE with a WALD kit too...
Attached Thumbnails They are trying to talk me into the SL500 !-310.jpg  
Old 11-08-07, 05:42 AM
Addiction2
Driver

Originally Posted by SC430Sam
My friend had a brand new SL500, and with 4000 miles on it, the top got stuck down. After that....it was immediately for sale. For a car that expensive, there is no excuse for such bad reliability. Also, in Orlando, Atlanta, and other cities I am often in, I see a much greater amount of SL500/550/55/65s around than SC430. Do you want to be lost in the crowd (which is hard to imagine because it is such a nice looking car, just over populated)? Go with a car you will ALWAYS be happy with, not just sometimes happy with.
Nicely put Sam. The SC430 does seem to be a very rare car, but with the SL sharing roughly the same body style as the SLK its very familair. The SC seems almost exotic because of its rairty.
Old 11-08-07, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Addiction2
Nicely put Sam. The SC430 does seem to be a very rare car, but with the SL sharing roughly the same body style as the SLK its very familair. The SC seems almost exotic because of its rairty.
hehehe, just for the fun to stir things up a bit, if you compare the sl and the slk, a lot of people mix up between the sc430 and solara

but seriously, don't listen to people, go with your heart

Quick Reply: They are trying to talk me into the SL500 !