SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help! Tire Choice for dedicated summer tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 07:15 AM
MJMerlina
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Tire Choice for dedicated summer tires?

Hello,
currently I have Dunlop SP Sport 5000 DSST 245/40/ZR18's on there, the original equipment. One is leaking, and they're pretty much all very low on tread, so I figure it's time to replace them. I have dedicated winter tires, as i live in MA, so what should I go with for my summer tires? Too may choices!

Also, runflats or not? I've read lots of articles with pros and cons of both. Runflats sure have saved me since I can't use the fix a flat stuff with my tire pressure sensors in there.

Thanks!

Last edited by MJMerlina; 09-13-07 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-13-07, 07:59 AM
snobirds
Driver School Candidate

What are you using for Winter Tires?

How is the SC 430 in the winter, I live in
Wisconsin and this will be my first year with it

I'm looking for snow tires now
Old 09-13-07, 08:15 AM
MJMerlina
Driver School Candidate

hey sno, check your PM inbox..
Old 09-13-07, 08:48 AM
SC430Sam
Driver

I am currently running the Dunlops you have on your car as well (new car). Just curious, how many miles have you gotten on them?

As for good summer tires. I have always purchased the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. These are my favorite tires on the market for looks, comfort, handling, etc. They just have a great all around appeal.

The runflat or no runflat question is easy. Do you want comfort of ride or comfort in the fact that you will not be stranded if you get a flat. If you don't go on long trips in the mountains where it could be hard to get in touch with a towing company, then you should be perfectly safe with the non run-flats. If you need the reliability of not being in trouble with a flat, go with the run-flats. Comfort is a big concern for people, and that is why most switch to regular tires.
Old 09-13-07, 08:57 AM
snobirds
Driver School Candidate

I just Sold my RunFlats, I am going to go with GoodYear F1 New all season
it has good ride and confort and handling
Old 09-13-07, 10:13 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

SC430Sam,

MY 2003 CPO SC430 came with brand new Dunlops (5000 DSST's). I took the car in recently for it's 30K mile check...the tires had just over 12K on them...and the fronts were already worn out.

I wasn't too shocked, as I'd read many posts about how long the tires DON'T last. The wife, however, was not-so-thrilled.

We went ahead and swapped out all 4 for the Michellin Pilot Sport A/S's. Love 'em.
Old 09-13-07, 03:46 PM
MJMerlina
Driver School Candidate

I was going to get the Bridgestone Potenzea RE960's, but ended up going with the TOYO Proxes 4, as these were in stock (one of my tires was leaking air), cheaper, and recommended higher than the Bridgestone's by the sales guy, who seemed to know a lot and was very friendly.

I also signed up for AAA, since I went with non-runflats for comfort :P

I'd like to have another backup though - The ContiExtreme Kit... does that sealant harm the TPMS sensors?
Old 09-13-07, 03:57 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Well what are your first impressions on the change from run-flats to regular tires?
Old 09-14-07, 04:21 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

I live in MA as well. Using Blizzaks on dedicated wheels for the winter and Conti Pros for summer. NO NO NO run flats. It's a significantly different ride without the run flats. All of the suggestions in the thread are good, but if you're going to run snows then I would get a summer tire over an all season.

JTMav
Old 09-17-07, 03:02 PM
MJMerlina
Driver School Candidate

Hmm.. well, everyone says that the ride should be significantly different from run flats to standard tires, but I honestly can't say I'm noticing THAT much of a difference. I mean, sure little bumps here and there feel different, but nothing substantial that I even notice that much. Could something else be wrong?

Also, what are others doing about having std tires on their sc430's, since the trunk is so small. Are there any other options other than a spare/donut? Does the Continental Tire ContiComfortKit ruin the tire pressure sensors? (http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tkit/index.jsp)

Any suggestions?

Thanks all
Old 09-18-07, 07:34 AM
mikey5549
Driver School Candidate

My tire dealer has also recommended Toyo Praxes 4 tires. Has anyone else had experience with them or know if they have been reviewed anywhere? Also, when you switc
h from run-flats to regular tires do you have to do anything (change a setting, etc.) on the tire pressure system?
Old 09-20-07, 08:47 AM
ghmundt
Driver

Default No runflats, but carry a spare

I just dove back into the SC pool with an 2006 I found with only 250 miles. Having had two before and changing to Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons and loving the ride quality improvement and handling, I am doing the same on this one. I would recommend the Michelins as a great choice. Question for you pros, I want to carry a compact spare since all wheel changing materials are already in the trunk, but I don't want to spend $600 for the Lexus kit. I remember several people said a toyota compact spare would fit fine. Does anyone have any details on the right compact spare at a reasonable price?
Old 09-20-07, 09:48 AM
JohnD
Rookie

ghmundt,
If you don't need all the fancy stuff like the carpet and additional items that come with the factory spare kit you can just purchase the mounted tire (which is what I did) for about half that $600.00. It fits nice and snug in the recessed area of the trunk and if you want, you could add a tie down of some sort. It doesn't take up as much room as the complete kit and I only put in the car when on long trips. I know how you feel about not have a spare so I purchased just the mounted tire. Hope this helps.

John
Old 09-20-07, 05:17 PM
ghmundt
Driver

John, thats great. You bought the Lexus spare at that price. I understand you can buy a comparable toyota spare for even less. Anyone know about that?