SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Continental ComfortKit

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 08:38 PM
downscale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray Can Tire Sealant for Flats

I've read just about everything on runflats versus regular tires.

One stopgap option was quickly brushed aside. Someone suggested keeping a can of spraycan "flat fix" sealant handy. I have, indeed, gotten out of many an emergency that way (e.g. flat tire while late for an appointment and/or stuck in the middle of nowhere) with my cheap car. Problem is the sealant damages the Lexus' tire sensors.

Crucial question: how involved/expensive is it to repair the sensors? Does the sealant void the warranty? Is this an alternative if you're really STUCK somewhere?

If AAA was a truly satisfactory alternative to carrying a spare, spare tires would be a lot less prevalent in this country!

This is a bit unclear from the threads: can a donut fit in the trunk with the top down?

Also, I'm thinking about installing those wirey things that help you sense the curb to avoid one typical scenario for tearing up a tire...

Last edited by downscale; 05-08-06 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-08-06, 10:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i don't think you can "repair" the sensors, you will need to get new ones

certain donut (for example the sc430 or the supra tt spare one) WILL FIT IN TH TRUNK with the top down, the car is desinged that way. but you will need new special carpet if you want it to look good

about those wires? to me, i just learn better parking skills myself
Old 05-09-06, 05:44 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

You should not need "curb feelers."

First, I think they stopped making them in 1962, or maybe people just stopped buying them in 1962.

Besides, since the side mirrors tilt down when you put the car in reverse, you can see how close the wheel is to the curb. They are simply not necessary.

Not to mention ugly.
Old 05-09-06, 07:30 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does that run-flat liquid stuff mess up the tires? would you be able to use it, then once you are able to, get the tire patched up?

what about a plug? can you plug a tire and then later remove the plug and patch it up?
Old 05-09-06, 07:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

You can use a worm (plug) and then later patch up the tire. Done quite often down here in Mexico.

The foam stuff is a PITA to remove when you go to fix the the tire. Ask me about the time at my track we had the attack of the killer blob coming out of someone's tire who had a flat on the way to the track and decided to use this stuff and then went to do a burnout.
Old 05-09-06, 09:05 AM
DRK65
Driver School Candidate

Default RunCrap Alternative - ContiComfortKit

Actually, I was searching this forum to confirm the viable use of a kit that includes a latex sealant that is promoted to NOT ruin the Tire Pressure Sensors. It's called the ContiComfortKit, made by Continental Tire. It includes a sealant canister connected to a 12 volt Air Compressor. I believe it's relatively new and can only be purchased through The Tire Rack online. Here are a couple of text sections from the site, as well as a link to the product page. I'd be interested in learning anyones feedback or experience with this product, as I think I'm going to place an order for one today!

BTW: About a month ago I replaced the original RunCraps (23K mi.) on my SC430 with Toyo Proxes 4 tires. All I can say is that I feel like my car has been "Reborn"! The car is so much quieter, runs so much more smoothly, and handles like a dream! If you want to experience the TRUE POTENTIAL of your SC430... GET RID OF THE RUN CRAPS!!!

Dean

ContiComfortKit Info:

The ContiComfortKit combines a powerful, high-volume, 12-volt air compressor, integral pressure gauge and a latex liquid tire sealant packaged in a compact, lightweight unit that's easy to store in the vehicle. (Kit is 9.5"W x 7"H x 3.75"D.) The sealant is compatible with direct, valve-mounted tire pressure sensors since the sensors can be washed and adhering residue can be peeled off easily when the tire is repaired.
A typical passenger car tire that is flat will take less than seven minutes to fill.

Once the sealant is activated and inflation pressure is correctly set and confirmed with the ContiComfortKit's integral air pressure gauge (NOTE: normal pencil, dial and/or digital tire pressure gauge may become contaminated by the sealant and should not be used) after driving a few miles, the temporarily repaired tire is ready to be driven for up to 125 miles (200 km) at speeds up to 50 mph (80 km/h).

Link to Tire Rack Product Page: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tkit/index.jsp
Old 05-09-06, 09:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah very intresting post there DRK65, good find. maybe it's answers for some members here!

btw, welcome to clublexus!
Old 05-09-06, 01:17 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I also saw the Conti Tire kit mentioned here, and as I had just replaced the run-flats with conventional tires (Michelins) (excellent decision: see other threads for a full discussion), I ordered it from Tire Rack, as I have no spare.

I have not used it yet, but at least it fits in the half-round cutout under the carpet, where I also keep a set of jumper cables and a pair of cotton gloves.

It is advertised to work better than those cans of goop. I have not had a flat in over ten years, so maybe I will never have to find out if this Conti thing works or not.

I'll let you know.
Old 05-09-06, 05:25 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry, I'm from the 3GS forum, but just a quick reply...

The tire spray does ruin wheel finishes also if left in too long. One particularly important thing is that if you have chrome wheels, be VERY careful. The liquid tends to break down the chrome for some reason and over time, the chrome peals and if it does near the lip, air begins to leak throught the tires/chrome split and you start to get a slow leak.... be careful...
Old 05-09-06, 06:40 PM
downscale
Driver School Candidate

ContiComfortKit sounds like just the ticket. I'd love to hear from someone with actual real world experience with it....not that I'm wishing anyone a flat tire or anything!
Old 05-09-06, 10:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Sorry, I'm from the 3GS forum, but just a quick reply...

The tire spray does ruin wheel finishes also if left in too long. One particularly important thing is that if you have chrome wheels, be VERY careful. The liquid tends to break down the chrome for some reason and over time, the chrome peals and if it does near the lip, air begins to leak throught the tires/chrome split and you start to get a slow leak.... be careful...
very good point there dave, indeed chrome is something everyone has to be careful about. once it starts to peel a bit, happy leaking air your way
Old 05-12-06, 09:59 AM
clubaddict
Driver

so the conticomfortkit will ruin chrome wheels??
Old 05-12-06, 11:19 AM
downscale
Driver School Candidate

yeah, that's not clear....are they talking about conventioanl flat fix spray or this new stuff?

Hard to know about the latter, I guess, since it's so new that there's little real-world experience.
Old 05-12-06, 07:25 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

At this time I carry a can with me along with a tire fix kit and a compressor. This will fix almost all situations unless the tire is shredded. Considering the alternative which is to be left stranded and wait for AAA, I will take a can of fix a flat anyday. A small spare for long trips.

I have heard of the chrome issue as well with fix a flat and have also heard some tire guys say that fix a flat will ruin a wheel though I have used fix a flat MANY times with never any adverse problems on any finish and I get a ton of flats. But....I get the tire fixed right away so the stuff is not in the tire for long. Also the fix a flat can throw your tire off balance.

I would recommend fix a flat for short term emergencies.
Old 05-12-06, 08:54 PM
downscale
Driver School Candidate

Pearlpower, much previous conversation here agrees that conventional fix-a-flat sprays screw up the tire sensors.

No one's disputing that those sprays can indeed inflate your tire, but most agree it's not worth the corollary effects.

This new product may or may not be different. Hope so.

Quick Reply: Continental ComfortKit