SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to increase range of key remote?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 09:35 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default How to increase range of key remote?

Anyone have any ideas how to increase the range of the key remote, other than replace the battery? Especially now that I have LuxLink, I'd like to get as much range as possible.

Also, it doesn't seem like pointing the key any toward or away from the car makes a difference -- is that right?
Old 07-23-07, 11:40 AM
markch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Anyone have any ideas how to increase the range of the key remote, other than replace the battery? Especially now that I have LuxLink, I'd like to get as much range as possible.

Also, it doesn't seem like pointing the key any toward or away from the car makes a difference -- is that right?
I agree, this is a true dilemma since the range of the key is so limited and gets even worse when the battery starts to fade. After many trials and experiments, I have found a solution that can be crafted from readily available surplus parts and household items.

Please refer to the photo below for the solution. I don’t think a technical diagram is needed due to the simple nature of the design.

OK, in all seriousness, my most humble apologies, but I just couldn’t help myself with this one. I hope nobody gets offended by this.

I’m not sure there is a solution to the issue. All my best ;-)
Attached Thumbnails How to increase range of key remote?-tinfoil1.jpg  
Old 07-23-07, 12:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

do you have fillings in your teeth? in my case that helps tremendously
Old 07-23-07, 12:15 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

I think I saw something on Youtube about increasing the range. Maybe a search....
Old 07-23-07, 12:16 PM
whokiid
Driver

i know this might sound weird, but holding the key to your chin and then pushing the button seems to extend the range for me and everyone else ive told.
Old 07-23-07, 01:47 PM
02Ku
Driver

So I dont know if anyone knew this, but i was reading alot about cell phones and using it to extend signals. Its in regards to using your cell phone to unlock your car outside the range of your keyless entry system. You need 2 cell phones, so grab a friends. Call each other and answer the phones. Put your friends cell near the remote entry sensor on the car. Then walk however far it is until the remote stops working and hold up the remote up to your cell. Press the unlock button and it should unlock the car . Ive only tried this on my friends 3000gt but not yet on the sc430. I guess whats happening is the AM frequency of the keyless entry system is "transferred " through the phone (which in theory makes no sense because phones pick up vibrational/mechanical waves and converts it into a sound).

I figured id post it here, just cuz JohnnyCake was wondering how to extend the signal. I googled this and people have had mixed results. Some say it works and some dont.
Old 07-23-07, 03:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by whokiid
i know this might sound weird, but holding the key to your chin and then pushing the button seems to extend the range for me and everyone else ive told.
yup, that helps too
Old 07-23-07, 04:49 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

You don't have to hold it to your chin, its about holding the key upwards. For some reason, it works better facing one way over the other. It's only a few feet, but thats an improvement..
Old 02-22-08, 01:24 PM
rnourse
Driver School Candidate

Hold any auto remote keyfob against your head and the range will almost double... don't believe me? Try it!
Old 02-22-08, 01:28 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Ku
So I dont know if anyone knew this, but i was reading alot about cell phones and using it to extend signals. Its in regards to using your cell phone to unlock your car outside the range of your keyless entry system. You need 2 cell phones, so grab a friends. Call each other and answer the phones. Put your friends cell near the remote entry sensor on the car. Then walk however far it is until the remote stops working and hold up the remote up to your cell. Press the unlock button and it should unlock the car . Ive only tried this on my friends 3000gt but not yet on the sc430. I guess whats happening is the AM frequency of the keyless entry system is "transferred " through the phone (which in theory makes no sense because phones pick up vibrational/mechanical waves and converts it into a sound).

I figured id post it here, just cuz JohnnyCake was wondering how to extend the signal. I googled this and people have had mixed results. Some say it works and some dont.
this is an old urban legend. key remotes don't use an audio signal.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...nlock_door.htm
Old 02-22-08, 01:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rnourse
Hold any auto remote keyfob against your head and the range will almost double... don't believe me? Try it!
it helps more if you have tooth fillings. hold it against your cheek
Old 02-22-08, 01:58 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

does that really work Henry?? ive saw it in a video but looks silly to try lol.
Old 02-22-08, 01:59 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is this method where you can take apart the key and find the antenna, and solder a piece of INSULATED wire to it. It is supposed to work amazing.
Old 02-22-08, 02:17 PM
rnourse
Driver School Candidate

Top Gear tested the 'fillings' theory a couple of seasons ago and found the effect was just as pronounced with one of the presenters who had no fillings as it was with with Jeremy Clarkson...

I was so flabbergasted I tried it myself (I have fillings) and it works. Just walk away until your keyfob stops working then hold it up against your head and try again. Now keep walking away until it stops working again. The distance from the first point is almost double!
Old 02-22-08, 02:32 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wonder if this works with the remote master keys.....cuz my range for the key is like...2feet if im lucky.

Quick Reply: How to increase range of key remote?