SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Alternative Sway Bar Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-12, 08:44 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok great. I'll be another guinea pig then.
Old 07-04-12, 01:33 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive been running the TRD front sway for a few weeks and love it, cant wait for a rear
Old 07-04-12, 05:30 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by talwang
Technically, they are not exactly the same.
For one, chassis codes are different.

They do share some of the same parts, not all of them.
The sc430 has some additional chassis brace parts from factory that won't fit the 2gs, either.

Again, I can understand why you guys want to it.
I myself am just concerned about the balance of the setup.
Just finished the install. I note that the 2GS front sway is actually shorter than the OEM sway bar - about 2 inches shorter. No problem with the install but steering feels tigher and harder - the wheel seems heavier. I haven't driven much yet but will drive more tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Alternative Sway Bar Set Up-2gs_sc430_fr_sway.jpg  
Old 07-05-12, 12:44 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Just finished the install. I note that the 2GS front sway is actually shorter than the OEM sway bar - about 2 inches shorter. No problem with the install but steering feels tigher and harder - the wheel seems heavier. I haven't driven much yet but will drive more tomorrow.
Check the Sewell website and you will find that is NOT the TRD GS sway bar. It is for a 2010 GS (3rd Gen GS not 2nd Gen) with applications on some other models all post-2006.

That might explain why it is short. I wouldn't be installing it thats for sure!
Old 07-05-12, 10:48 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Check the Sewell website and you will find that is NOT the TRD GS sway bar. It is for a 2010 GS (3rd Gen GS not 2nd Gen) with applications on some other models all post-2006.

Hey Dave

No. I purchased and installed the one for the 2004 GS430. It still has the older bushings too ... Same shape as the OEM front sway bar just a bit shorter. This should be the same one that the other folks are installing.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/4320.html

The sway bar for the 2010 model is the F-sport sway bar and is totally different.
Old 07-05-12, 08:16 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Just so that it is clear, the reason people get sways is to tighten/stiffen the ride of the car which improves the handeling. This is accomplished by diameter, angle, and length of the bar.

The TRD sway bar being shorter is on purpose to change the angle and stiffen the suspension, it is not because we are adding a GS sway bar per say. Even if you bought one made for the SC it would be expected to be shorter, heavier, and thicker in diameter. Thus changing the angle.

Look at the pic of the Fsport Sway vs the stock 2IS sway, its a good 4 inches shorter and thicker.
Attached Thumbnails Alternative Sway Bar Set Up-fsport.jpg  
Old 07-05-12, 08:28 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Robert - makes sense. First day driving with the TRD and it feels great.
Old 07-06-12, 12:38 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone for clarifying. I'm about to order a set of these and it is mucho bucks to have thn shipped to Australia. They are not available locally unfortunately.
Old 07-06-12, 04:31 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks everyone for clarifying. I'm about to order a set of these and it is mucho bucks to have thn shipped to Australia. They are not available locally unfortunately.
Dave - you might want to wait to see how the test for the adaptor for the rear sway bar goes - if it works you can ship them all at the same time.
Old 07-06-12, 07:15 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Dave - you might want to wait to see how the test for the adaptor for the rear sway bar goes - if it works you can ship them all at the same time.
Thanks. I will. Its either go with the TRD's for the GS or have a set custom made over here.
Old 07-09-12, 11:15 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I am waiting for your writeup after you install the complete TRD front and rear sways.
It will be a good thing for the sc430 members here if everything works out beautifully.
I understand your concerns but I don't think is a big deal at all. Sure the balance of understeer/oversteer will probably be different then if is installed on a 2GS, but the differences will be pretty minor. Unless you are a pro driver on a race track wanting a very specific handling balance, 99.9% of SC430's owners can't tell the difference cruising on the street, including me. That's why I am not worry, most of us just want less body roll and less sloppy handling.

Last edited by BNR34; 07-09-12 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-09-12, 11:20 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Generally, the aftermarket suspension/chassis parts made for the 2gs are tuned much stiffer than that for the sc430 handling wise.
Yes being too stiff is my concern as well, that's why I got the TRD white bars as oppose to the stiffer blue bars.

Stiffness is very much a personal preference though, also depends on many other factors, like the stiffness of the shock/spring and the tire sidewall. The blue bars are probably fine with stockish suspension and tires, but with stiff coilover with rubber band side walls, then it might be too stiff.

I will report back how my white bars feels, the problem is the white bars are no longer available. There is one more alternative though, stock 2GS sway bars are stiffer then stock 2SC bars as well, but is only a little stiffer. So for folks who find the blue bar too stiff and can't find any white bar to buy, can always go with OEM 2GS bar.
Old 07-09-12, 11:25 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Guys, don't wait for me on the adaptor as I won't get to it for a long while, hate to keep you guys waiting.

But it is very simple, you guys can all get it done yourself, it is all a matter of cutting a hole on the chassis brace bracket in the middle for a straight sway bar to go thru, you can see it very clearly in this picture, these guy did the same thing. My only concern is that bracket might get too weak after it is cut, so it might have to be reinforced by welding on some extra tubings or metel sheets.

The stock SC's rear bar are bent to clear this bracket, the GS bar is straight.
Attached Thumbnails Alternative Sway Bar Set Up-swaybarhole.jpg  

Last edited by BNR34; 07-09-12 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-09-12, 08:31 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

yea i would not cut that i dont like to compromise the chassis
Old 07-30-12, 06:59 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Default Another option?

I found this place in Malaysia. Ultra Racing.

http://www.ultraracing.com.my/Bars.asp?ID=2855

The rear sway bar for the GS350 looks like it has a curve in the middle. i wonder if it might fit the SC? I wrote to their dealers but no response yet.

Does anybody know about this manufacturer?

Their web site mentions custom work - perhaps we can get a group together?

Quick Reply: Alternative Sway Bar Set Up