SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

GPS in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 03:28 PM
mftraver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS in Hawaii

I am moving to Oahu via the Army, and understand that the stock GPS software will not work in Hawaii, nor does Lexus intend to ever remidy that. Has anyone ever modified or added a 3rd party GPS system to the already installed touchscreen display in the SC430? (specifically year 2003)

I am unfortunately directionally challenged, and would hate to disfigure my interior with an ugly external GPS monitor like a Garmin or the like.

Any ideas?

And as a new member to this forum - is there something I am missing in order to search posts on here? I can't really read every single post to see if they have anything to do with aftermarket GPS. Thanks.
Old 04-26-07, 11:14 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

Hey man this is an island. You cant get lost here LOL
Old 04-27-07, 02:03 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know anyone that actually has used another nav map software in the Lexus unit and made it work. The only thing I can think of is to try and use the map software that comes with the Eclipse units, but I really have no idea if that will work. Otherwise, you just have to get an aftermarket navigation unit. The hardware should work, its just Lexus doesn't provide mapping for Hawaii.

I've been living in Hawaii all my life for 35 years. I still get lost in certain places. Especially in Waikiki with all the one way streets. Or on parts of the Island that I rarely visit.
Old 04-27-07, 06:51 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes, but the nice thing about getting lost in Hawaii is that you really don't mind.
Old 05-01-07, 03:03 AM
Conor
Driver School Candidate

Aloha, I find it so lame that Lexus doesn't provide maps for Hawaii. I use a garmin in my S2000 when I need to get some place I'm not sure and wish that it was also in the Lexus
Old 05-01-07, 03:51 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conor
Aloha, I find it so lame that Lexus doesn't provide maps for Hawaii. I use a garmin in my S2000 when I need to get some place I'm not sure and wish that it was also in the Lexus

I think a member here name flipside909 that is sort of an insider mentioned something about a copywrite issue with the company that provides maps for the Lexus navigation. Now, how true that is and to what extent it goes is beyond me. Clearly it isn't a hardware issue and I've mentioned this to Servco Lexus a few times and they stated to me at least they have been asking Lexus for Nav equiped cars for years already so Lexus themselves know the demand is there. There has to be something in the mapping software that is keeping Lexus from providing it for us here. To be honest. It is costing them sales. I for one would probably have bought an IS350 if we could get the navigation. Not so much the navigation itself, but the IS, unlike the GS doesn't come with the DVD player and LCD screen without the navigation. Seems like the GS comes with the LCD screen, but the LS460 doesn't just like the IS To put it bluntly, we are getting screwed.

To be honest, it is not that we get lost a lot here on the Island. Eventually we can find our way even in unfamiliar areas. The navigation is just a time saver. I use my Pocket PC with as a portable GPS and it saves me a lot of time when I need it.