SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What are the closest brand to OEM Brake Pads.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 11:18 AM
rclab1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the closest brand to OEM Brake Pads.

Hello all, Just wanted to ask, besides the OEM Lexus brake pads, what brake pads (brand, material) are the closest thing to OEM Lexus pads that I can buy at ie....NAPA, PepBoys, AutoZone....etc.....

I'm not looking for high performance pads, something similiar to OEM.
I know buying aftermarket that is closest to OEM Lexus pads will be a little bit better than OEM pads.

anyone chime in..... thanks.....
Old 04-01-07, 01:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

NAPA carries two levels of ceramic pads, both being decent.
Kragen, Checkers, Shucks carries Satisifed Pro ceramic-the same that TireRack sells which is decent as well.
Neither is close to a nice pad such as Hawk HPS.
Performance pads are not just for racing, but for the added safety margin they offer in everyday use.
Old 04-01-07, 04:52 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Default .....To : pearlpower

....just wanted to ask you, what is the cause of this..... when i'm slowing down from any speed....ie....40mph to 0mph, normally and abruptly pressing the brake pedal, the steering wheel shakes.....shake meaning its going steering left and right very very slightly and subtly. The steering wheel does not shake in a way that it comes towards me and towards the dash,,,,, I hope I'm making sense. Just to repeat, the steering wheel shakes from left and right(turns) very rapidly, very subtle when I'm depressing the brakes to a complete stop.

does this mean the front rotors are beginning to need "resurfacing"?
I still have my snow tires on from winter, and I'm replacing in a couple weeks with non run flats.
Old 04-01-07, 11:43 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Your front rotors require surfacing. Take them down to the auto parts store to have them mic'd and machined. I prefer to just purchase new rotors myself as thinner rotors=more prone to warpage.
Lee
Old 04-02-07, 04:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Is there any reason why you prefer not to buy pads with more bite than OEM? There are lots of pads out there that are just as good as OEM, if not better, and do not squeak or create a lot of brake dust. I use Akebono ProAct ceramic pads myself on my GS400 and it's better than OEM in every way. I bought my front set for only $70 shipped from Tirerack.com. I think it's about $10-20 more than OEM, but the benefit of better stopping power, less brake dust, and less noise was well worth it.

What you're experiencing is warping. If your rotors are too thin, you'll run into the problem that Pearlpower described. OEM brembo blank rotors will run you about $100 a pair. That's a small price for a new set of front rotors. Depending on how many times your rotors have been resurfaced, you get to the point where the rotors are beyond useable.
Old 04-02-07, 03:16 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Default thanks.....

Gsteg/PearlPower, thanks for the input.

I guess I may need front resurfacing of my rotors.

I may of started another thread on this (sorry), but do you think its worth it if I buy the Brembo Blank Rotors ($45) from tire rack and use the a afterMarket brake pads.

I know from the dealership, they quoted me on front rotors/brake pads for around $360 parts and labor.

how much will I save?
Old 04-02-07, 03:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The dealer will sell you the OEM rotor for about $90-100 each.

As I suggested, buy the OEM brembo blanks. It's OEM quality, but without the OEM price.
Old 09-15-17, 08:41 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sue NTB for crap semi metallic pads?

I am p.od that I paid for semi-ceramic pads/rotors by NTB's recommendation, then the car makes a rubbing noise if theres a slight downhill like my driveway, at a slow gentle stop just as car stops/starts rolling. They drove on flats, said no prob., tole me I need 'full ceramic-oh of course, they'll pro rate new ones at my expense! This sounds like a cheap TUndra, even my worn fronts didn't sound like that! WHat's stock TOY/LEX material, ceramic or??? SHould I force dealer to get oem pads at their expense, do the full ceramic at their expense, or go to small claims court. I bought this on their c. card, no way am I paying for brake job with sub par quiet the OEM old ones had!!!!! 2002 SC430, Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ 245 45 18, new outer tie rods.
Old 09-16-17, 06:06 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

. I use Akebono ProAct ceramic pads myself on my GS400 and it's better than OEM in every way.

Ii use these also. It has been my understanding that the ProAct IS the OEM pad. This comes from a Lexus dealership. So, not sure how they can be better. I have used both OEM and the Akebono and have never seen any difference.
Old 09-16-17, 06:44 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I bought and installed Akebono ProAct ceramic pads on my LS430, they'd likely work same in SC430. I'm on my 3rd set of pads with same never turned rotors on my LS430. They work great, very smooth and fast stopping. I think the Akebono pads may be better than the OEM pads but it is obviously tough to tell for sure without a control and objective testing.

In terms of rotors - If your front end or steering wheel shakes only when you apply your brakes you most likely need rotors turned or need new rotors. Given relatively low price of new rotors and hassle of taking rotors somewhere to get them turned, unless the old rotors are only a year or two old I'd just install new rotors.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-16-17 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-16-17, 11:06 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Buggeroff6
I am p.od that I paid for semi-ceramic pads/rotors by NTB's recommendation, then the car makes a rubbing noise if theres a slight downhill like my driveway, at a slow gentle stop just as car stops/starts rolling. They drove on flats, said no prob., tole me I need 'full ceramic-oh of course, they'll pro rate new ones at my expense! This sounds like a cheap TUndra, even my worn fronts didn't sound like that! WHat's stock TOY/LEX material, ceramic or??? SHould I force dealer to get oem pads at their expense, do the full ceramic at their expense, or go to small claims court. I bought this on their c. card, no way am I paying for brake job with sub par quiet the OEM old ones had!!!!! 2002 SC430, Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ 245 45 18, new outer tie rods.
i use Power Stop Z23 Carbon Fiber and Ceramic pads. EXCELLENT brake pads and they stay cooler than full ceramic.
https://www.powerstop.com/product/z2...rt-brake-pads/

rockauto.com has the best prices

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-17-17 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-16-17, 01:28 PM
Jabberwock

One thing to be mindful of when shopping for brake pads is that some brake pads designed for racing work best when they are very hot. Racing and high performance pads are designed to work well under extreme braking temperatures. In some cases these types of pads are not the best solution for normal street cars whose average brake temps are much lower.
Old 09-16-17, 01:28 PM
Jabberwock

One thing to be mindful of when shopping for brake pads is that some brake pads designed for racing work best when they are very hot. Racing and high performance pads are designed to work well under extreme braking temperatures. In some cases these types of pads are not the best solution for normal street cars whose average brake temps are much lower.
Old 09-16-17, 02:56 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I stick with the OEM Toyota pads, Can be found online for cheaper or ordered direct from the Toyota/Lexus dealership. Don't forget the shims and antisqueal plates! No regrets here.
Old 09-18-17, 02:08 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Solved-NTB put on FULL ceramic-'part' ceramic always noisy at end of braking!

I am pretty sure it was an error for NTB shop to have put "semi-ceramic" pads on in the first place. Only when I brought in a video with sound of the noise in my driveway/street (slight downhill really brought out the flatulent/cruise ship horn sounds) did they 'upgrade' to full, which appears to be totally stock quiet now.
It did irk me that one of their younger sales team told me I'd have to pay with oh so generous "pro-rated" price off!! I am not hearing from the list that this was a 'wrong' pad, just probably in spec for a Yaris (which as I understand was made in the same factory as the SC at one point..or do I have an Echo?!).
Bonus: the outer control arms they also replaced may have a snapping sound when I start driving and make a turn. I only hear it when I first start driving (e.g a parking lot turn)...at one point, it sounded like I'd crushed a can driving over it but there wasn't anything in the road behind! Any comments on the physics and dysfunction possibly at play, and how to argue its junk if not mounted improperly? Could it quiet via loosening up over time?
Methinks NTB never lost its NTW technical limitations beyond tire changing...I am a doofus to have gone there, but most other "reasonably priced" shops seemed either too aggressive or do nothings (e.g Town Faire Tire wouldn't even deal with brakes/control arms-told me to "have that other work done then bring it to us for tires and alignment". Sure!!

Quick Reply: What are the closest brand to OEM Brake Pads.