SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

7 years since it's debut and still going strong....Do you still LOVE your SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 04:50 PM
flygirl62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I commute to work on my bike every day, no matter what, even through the winter...believe me, it's difficult to hop on and ride when I know the SC is just sitting there!

Did I mention, it's also got a great butt, especially with the spoiler on the trunk. One of the nicest butts I've seen on a car in a long time, actually, which is strangely quite important to me. Better even than the Carrera, although there was something about the '66 Lincoln Convert that I used to drive, that long rear overhang and all the parallel lines...that one was very good, too, in its own way.

Oooooh, now that I think about it, also the old '65 Mustang GT coupe I drove as an undergrad, with the trumpet exhausts sticking out of those oval holes in the valence panel, sans reverse lights...also very nice.

The Prius' butt, though...not so good.

Last edited by flygirl62; 05-07-09 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-07-09, 05:47 PM
CBG
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flygirl62
I commute to work on my bike every day, no matter what, even through the winter...believe me, it's difficult to hop on and ride when I know the SC is just sitting there!

Did I mention, it's also got a great butt, especially with the spoiler on the trunk. One of the nicest butts I've seen on a car in a long time, actually, which is strangely quite important to me. Better even than the Carrera, although there was something about the '66 Lincoln Convert that I used to drive, that long rear overhang and all the parallel lines...that one was very good, too, in its own way.

Oooooh, now that I think about it, also the old '65 Mustang GT coupe I drove as an undergrad, with the trumpet exhausts sticking out of those oval holes in the valence panel, sans reverse lights...also very nice.

The Prius' butt, though...not so good.
I am glad to hear I am not the only one that thinks our car has a great butt. On my facebook photo page one of the pics is of the *** end of my car with the comment saying "what a *** huh" lol. Most people are probably like what the...?
Old 05-09-09, 02:57 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I am smitten with my 2008 SC430

In May 2008 I got the keys to my 2008 SC430. Do I love this car today as much as I did then? It would not be an understatement to say that this fine automobile has surpassed my every expectation. I am only sorry that I did not buy the SC model years ago.

Last year when I decided to obtain a new car, I thought that this one might be the final new car I would ever have. Thus, I thought very carefully about the specifics I wanted in this car.

I wanted a car that enveloped me in luxury. The SC has done this. The interior is well appointed with quality leather and rich wood. The exterior is unique in its beautiful visual design. The fit of the parts that meet is superb. The finish on all surfaces is deep and lustrous. I believe these things will prove to be long-lasting.

I wanted a car whose controls (*****, buttons and dash gauges) are located in driver’s eye view and easy to operate. Those in the SC are just that.

I wanted a car that had high quality AM/FM audio, GPS Navigation and a Bluetooth phone system that I could learn to use with reasonable ease. The SC comes stock with these electronic marvels.

I wanted a car that provided a comfortable ride at all speeds. Replacing the run flat tires with Michelin Pilot Sport tires, my SC is sedate at slow speeds and stable and restful at high interstate speeds.

Although fuel economy is not a major factor to me, I wanted a car that provided at least 15 mpg. My SC has averaged 17.9 mpg with my driving 90% of the time on city streets. I consider this excellent considering that when I accelerate from stop and go slow speeds to freeway ramp entries and interstate cruising, the SC powers quickly and smoothly.

My home is in Arizona. We are blessed with “convertible” weather for all but a few scant days each year. Thus, driving the SC as a convertible rather than a coupe is my rule and an absolute joy. However, there is no denying that in coupe mode, the SC takes on a mystique unique onto itself.

During its first year, my SC has been utterly reliable and failure free. It has gone to the dealer only for the 1,000 mile check, its six-month maintenance and just the other day for its recommended annual maintenance. The SC has been so well made that it has not required a single dealer’s tweaking.

I have much experience with automobiles having owned thirty-six cars since obtaining my first operator’s permit in1946. The prices I paid for a number of my former cars were higher than my present SC. Nevertheless, the SC has proven to be not only the most enjoyable of the lot but also the most reliable. It puts all of my former German cars to shame.

Some might say that the look and performance of the SC have been surpassed by sharper and more technologically advanced cars. But for me, The SC satisfies all of my desires in an automobile. It is a car that transcends fads. After all, elegance is eternal, not limited by the passage of time.

If my comments how I feel about my SC430 have been unclear, let me say that I am smitten with it and have no desire to replace it with any other car.
Old 05-09-09, 04:02 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuff
In May 2008 I got the keys to my 2008 SC430. Do I love this car today as much as I did then? It would not be an understatement to say that this fine automobile has surpassed my every expectation. I am only sorry that I did not buy the SC model years ago.

Last year when I decided to obtain a new car, I thought that this one might be the final new car I would ever have. Thus, I thought very carefully about the specifics I wanted in this car.

I wanted a car that enveloped me in luxury. The SC has done this. The interior is well appointed with quality leather and rich wood. The exterior is unique in its beautiful visual design. The fit of the parts that meet is superb. The finish on all surfaces is deep and lustrous. I believe these things will prove to be long-lasting.

I wanted a car whose controls (*****, buttons and dash gauges) are located in driver’s eye view and easy to operate. Those in the SC are just that.

I wanted a car that had high quality AM/FM audio, GPS Navigation and a Bluetooth phone system that I could learn to use with reasonable ease. The SC comes stock with these electronic marvels.

I wanted a car that provided a comfortable ride at all speeds. Replacing the run flat tires with Michelin Pilot Sport tires, my SC is sedate at slow speeds and stable and restful at high interstate speeds.

Although fuel economy is not a major factor to me, I wanted a car that provided at least 15 mpg. My SC has averaged 17.9 mpg with my driving 90% of the time on city streets. I consider this excellent considering that when I accelerate from stop and go slow speeds to freeway ramp entries and interstate cruising, the SC powers quickly and smoothly.

My home is in Arizona. We are blessed with “convertible” weather for all but a few scant days each year. Thus, driving the SC as a convertible rather than a coupe is my rule and an absolute joy. However, there is no denying that in coupe mode, the SC takes on a mystique unique onto itself.

During its first year, my SC has been utterly reliable and failure free. It has gone to the dealer only for the 1,000 mile check, its six-month maintenance and just the other day for its recommended annual maintenance. The SC has been so well made that it has not required a single dealer’s tweaking.

I have much experience with automobiles having owned thirty-six cars since obtaining my first operator’s permit in1946. The prices I paid for a number of my former cars were higher than my present SC. Nevertheless, the SC has proven to be not only the most enjoyable of the lot but also the most reliable. It puts all of my former German cars to shame.

Some might say that the look and performance of the SC have been surpassed by sharper and more technologically advanced cars. But for me, The SC satisfies all of my desires in an automobile. It is a car that transcends fads. After all, elegance is eternal, not limited by the passage of time.

If my comments how I feel about my SC430 have been unclear, let me say that I am smitten with it and have no desire to replace it with any other car.
The SC430's beauty is surpassed only by the articulate way you have expressed your love of this seductive automobile. Well done.
Old 05-09-09, 08:47 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, well done CB. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 05-13-09, 04:38 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by carbuff

Carbuf, very well said, I have been smitten by my SC for years and hope to keep the car until 2020. I have had the gamut of luxury cars and some were more expensive, but none have given me the joys of my SC. You're thought provoking thread was right on for most of us SC owners, and I just wanted to express my thanks for your most lucid comments.
Old 05-13-09, 07:34 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Avarec
back seats for dwarfs, no jz, and no manual tranny, no thanks

this car is made for rich old women and not for man

it shares nothing with older sc3/4 manly looking design

cars is for pussies
I don't own, nor like the SC in general... but to each his/her own... show some respect man...
Old 05-13-09, 08:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I hated the SC as well until my brother test drove one. Its a very beautiful car. Its not competitve in its segment. I think thats what he means by an old womens car. I think most guys are a ittle more focused on performance and dont want the car that performs the worst in its class.

the SC loses 50% of its value in the first 2 years. Its a little ridiculous in that mannor, but it makes it easy to buy a very very nice used reliable convertible with a V8
Old 05-14-09, 10:20 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

carbuff, your comments sums it up, perfectly said
Old 05-14-09, 10:50 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

well, some disgruntled lexus guys have chimed in.
to me, I'm really not a lexus fan. the car designs are generally bland and
offer a disconnected, cushy ride.
but I am a 430 owner and big fan.
the 430 is one of those rare products that sneak through -- not really complementing the rest of the line.
it's destined to become a classic.
not so much for the other lexus entries.
so, buck-up SC owners.
we know a rare beauty when we see and ride one.

jimmer
Old 05-14-09, 11:01 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Avarec
back seats for dwarfs, no jz, and no manual tranny, no thanks

this car is made for rich old women and not for man

it shares nothing with older sc3/4 manly looking design

cars is for pussies
You are correct, sir. This car has attracted more women to it than my 69 Vette did. Women love this car, and the richer they are, the better.

The SC430 is definately for those men "manly" enough to not feel it necessary that the automobile we drive be some sort of extension of our "manhood".
Old 05-14-09, 11:27 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmer!
well, some disgruntled lexus guys have chimed in.
No kidding, sounds like a post from the SRT4 forums.

to me, I'm really not a lexus fan. the car designs are generally bland and offer a disconnected, cushy ride.
That is the point of Lexus cars, that is why I love my LS430, peace and quiet, and absolutely disconnected. I don't want to feel the road everyday.

but I am a 430 owner and big fan.
the 430 is one of those rare products that sneak through -- not really complementing the rest of the line.
it's destined to become a classic.
not so much for the other lexus entries.
so, buck-up SC owners.
we know a rare beauty when we see and ride one.

jimmer
That is why I love our SC430! I drive it when I want a topless 2 doors beauty.

When I really want to feel the road and the rush of speed, I go drive a Nissan GTR. Only a 10 seconds car satisfied my need for the rush, everything slower is pointless, so I just cruise slow and quiet.
Old 05-14-09, 12:27 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

I wouldnt pay any attention to Avarec's posts.. Majority of the things he says is all negative..
Old 05-14-09, 12:56 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I am pretty sure that my next car will probably be an SC 430. After I finish up my GS, I'll start a nice little savings jar for the SC

I'll definitely get an '06+ but I am not sure what color combination I want...

Black/Saddle
Black/Camel
Matador/Camel.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-14-09, 03:09 PM
Jazzman430
Driver School Candidate

In response to jimmer!!! Buck this.........! As nice as the LS 430 is, your optimistical view for the SC is well misplaced as sport coupes and convertibles go they have always had higher values compared to their four door counterparts it terms of classic and antique valuations!
I own both an 04 LS and 02 SC and one thing I can tell you is they are two totally diff. cars is trems of ride, handling, acceleration, braking you name it, keep in mind they target two vastly different audiences, lifestyles, mindsets, practicalities......and the lists goes on. But a very wise choice on your part to buy an LS.....and you're right it will be a classic, as will the SC!

Quick Reply: 7 years since it's debut and still going strong....Do you still LOVE your SC430?