SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

VSC lights and ScanGauge

Old 02-28-07, 07:58 AM
mcysr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC lights and ScanGauge

My VSC lights came on after I was screwing around with my ScanGauge and pressed the force connect button when the unit was not in auto mode. This was not the fault of the Scangauge but my own stupidity. I knew as soon as I did it that it was probably not a smart thing to do. Dumb, dumb dumb.

It's a 2002 SC430. Both "VSC OFF" and "VSC " lights are on.

I have done extensive searches on this site to see if there is a way to reset the lights and there are hints that it may be possible to reset the VSC system but the methods are never actually given, although one post mentioned setting the parking brake and idling for a while, which I tried and which did not work in my case.

Another post mentioned jumping the TC and GC pins to read a VSC code but does not go into detail. I do not know what the TC and GC pins are. I think this refers to the OBD II connector, but when I search for pinouts the pins are numbered not lettered.

I disconnected the battery overnight hoping that would reset the computer, but that did not work.

Several posts suggest going to a dealer but my dealer is 150 miles away and I do not want to make the trip just yet.

I hope I didn't fry something.

Does anyone have a concrete way to reset the VSC system? In detail?

Thanks
matthew

Last edited by mcysr; 02-28-07 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-28-07, 08:33 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Mathew,

OK, I read this. Cannot respond in detail right now, but check back by tomorrow for my response as it will take a few minutes to type it.
Lee
Old 03-01-07, 09:26 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

OK, well, I am sure that I posted on this in the past, but the Search function is a bit challenged with 3 letter words.

Use a piece of wire for this process to short two connectors on the OBDII conector.

1-Connect the wire to terminals Tc-CG on the ODBII connector under the dash.
2-Turn ignition switch on
3-Depress the brake pedal 8 or more times within 5 seconds
4-Remove wire
5-Turn off ignition

if it does not work try swapping steps 4&5. It does take a few tries sometimes. Also you may have to turn off the ignition between failed attempts.
Hope that helps.
Lee
Old 03-01-07, 10:39 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the "force connect button" Use the Scanegauge to see if it any " Check Engine codes" pop up. If so use it to clear them.

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 03-02-07 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-01-07, 12:28 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
What is the "force connect button Use the Scanegauge to see if it shows any " Check Engine codes" pop up. If so use it to clear them.
Lexus specific DTS codes do not show up on a OBDII and must be cleared through different means. OBDII is generic.
Old 03-01-07, 05:31 PM
mcysr
Driver School Candidate

Default No luck

Well, thank you for the responses.

Pearl, I tried every combination plus more and I'm afraid I'm wearing out my brake pedal. I tried with the parking brake on and off and with the VSC switch on and off. No luck every time I try to drive away the VSC lights come on.

Curiously though with the wire plugged in my navigation comes on to a Japanese screen that is obviously interrogating the ECU and it comes up with OK in several categories, if you wait awhile.It's all in Japanese. This would suggest that the NAV and the ECU are tied together more than I thought.

The reason I bought the Scan Gauge is because I wanted to use the gauge part and see what info was in the ECU. To bad Toyota did not make that info available through NAV.

I don't want any one to think I don't like the Scan Gauge. Good product, about 170$ or so. Just plug it in and you get a trip computer, code reader and gauges. I love it. I just shouldn't of screwed with it. Look it up on google.

I do not get any code on the Scan Gauge in this situation as explained by Pearl. I do get the VSC light to blink out the code 39, I think though I don't know what that means. Just no way to reset it.

Oh well, looks like a long trip to the dealer next week, unless some one has other ideas.

thanks! matthew
Old 03-01-07, 06:01 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting, Code 39 is for ,"foreign matter on tip of the wheel speed sensor".

Which light is blinking the code, the VSC or ABS light?
Old 03-09-07, 09:18 AM
mcysr
Driver School Candidate

Perl, That's the VSC light. Blinks three time then nine times. Have yet to make it to the dealer

matthew
Old 03-14-07, 12:58 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mcysr
Perl, That's the VSC light. Blinks three time then nine times. Have yet to make it to the dealer

matthew
Did you ever get problem fixed? How do you like your Scangauge? I got one and I think since they made it smaller it is an awesome tool.
Where did you end up putting yours? I have not found anywhere low key to place mine.
Old 03-25-08, 05:11 PM
hsujohn
Driver School Candidate

I think this is what they are talking about when resetting the VSC light.

1. Make sure the ignition (key) is in the off position.

2. Locate DLC3 connector (under the drivers side dash) and jump terminals ts and cg. (use old wires lying around).

3. Turn ignition to the on position (do not start vehicle).

4. VSC warning light will turn out for 4 seconds then start to flash.

5. Once the light starts flashing for a few seconds, turn the ignition off and remove jumper wires.
Attached Thumbnails VSC lights and ScanGauge-dlc3ts.jpg  
Old 07-29-08, 06:52 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Tried this - It works great!

Last week we had our '02 SC inspected (in NC) and my wife said the VSC/VSC Off lights came on during the ride home. I drove the SC Staurday night and it drove horrible. Little power and a real jerky ride. Not at all SC like. I searched the forum as soon as we got home.

I tried the "remove the battery negative cable" solution and it didn't work.

I read the solution posted here and tried it with immediate success.

I now have a jumper cable made up and a copy of this thread in my garage. Just is case.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-28-09, 09:08 PM
rouge
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default great solution

Originally Posted by hsujohn
I think this is what they are talking about when resetting the VSC light.

2. Locate DLC3 connector (under the drivers side dash) and jump terminals ts and cg. (use old wires lying around).

5. Once the light starts flashing for a few seconds, turn the ignition off and remove jumper wires.
Oh! Its great infomation for me.
So can I have one question for you.
The solution work for reset of all worning light?
For instance tire puressure monitor light when mistaking procedure of change tire to winter one?
Old 11-30-09, 09:39 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rouge
Oh! Its great infomation for me.
So can I have one question for you.
The solution work for reset of all worning light?
For instance tire puressure monitor light when mistaking procedure of change tire to winter one?
Most likely not.

You either need to disable TPMS or use Lexus hand-held device to re-register tire sensors.
Old 06-01-11, 09:25 PM
Lawrence S
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your offers of help for the VSC light problem. One day I sat down and read the manual (after trying everything suggested) and found that this VSC light is due to the wheels being aligned and NOT recalibrated with a lexus computer after the process. Firestone now has the needed Lexus computer, and after about 2 years, I now have no problem with the light staying on. Good Luck all.
Old 10-21-12, 02:22 PM
bobster99
Driver

So I am posting this so hopefully it will get bumped up and maybe somehow Google will grab this data.

After I changed my Oxygen Sensor on my 2002 SC430 and reset the codes with a cheap Code Reader the "VSC" and "VSC off" light came on. It didn't matter if I pushed the VSC button or not, nothing would happen. I stumbled on this positing off Google and when I followed the following instructions that I borrowed from this post I found there wasn't any codes in the VSC computer and the light went off.

I attached the photo that I found on someone's post.

There seems to be a connection between cheap code readers and ghost codes, I have had Check Engine Lights with out any codes after I was messing with some of the off brand code readers and I think that there is a connection with the VSC and VSC off Light and this situation. There wasn't a code in the system when I did this procedure and the light has been off for three drive cycles so I think this has fixed it. This might be something that should be added to the FAQ.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
OBD Connector.docx (166.3 KB, 2062 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VSC lights and ScanGauge