SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

new tires - michelin & costco

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 09:33 AM
chewbone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tires - michelin & costco

I saw the previous post related to costco where some said they had no problem and others said "stay away". I am going to give them a try and before doing so I called the local store and asked if they could properly handle the installation (the tire purchase price on costco website says it includes installation and the lifetime balance/repair). They said they are handling more and more car with the "special valve stems" and to simply remind them before installation.

When you look at the costco website its interesting to see a lot of michelin tire choices for the SC-430:

- pilot sports
- pilot sport PS2
- pilot XGT
- PS2

All in all there currently had six 245/40/18 tires to chose from, so many in fact I had to go to the Michelin website to learn more about each tire and for the heck of it I actually called their technical support center they advertise to help the customer pick the right tire.

Pretty helpful actually......the website also has a nice drop down chart that shows which are best regarding handling vs. wear.

Most all the tires I can pick from have a 25,000 mile life, except the XGT Z4
tire which has 30,000 and is actually rated for higher speeds.

The XGT is actually the cheaper tire of those they offer and seems to be the best overall deal at about $ 40 less per tire than the other Michelins.

I may however go with the Pilot Sport A/S based on some previous member posts???

Costco currently has a $60 off right now on a set of 4 Michelins.

I will do a follow-up post to let folks know my experience. We all eventually have to buy those high priced tires!
Old 01-09-07, 04:22 PM
JohnD
Rookie

Default Tires

Good luck with those Pilot Sport A/S tires. I only have 600 miles on my 07 SC but am already thinking new tires for the future. Many people on this forum seem to love those tires. Can't wait to hear your thoughts and how Costco made out mounting them.

JohnD
Old 01-09-07, 04:28 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got my mich. pilot sport a/s from tirerack. about 242/each

maybe costco may have a better deal since they have the mich. for our cars now.

trust me, your new tire experience will be like night and day compared to what the manufacturer originally put on.
Old 01-11-07, 12:16 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have never had any problems w/ costco tires or their installers. if anything they are better and more competent than shops like discount tire. i've had tires changed on the SC, GS and RX there, all with no problems. i just remind them of my TPMS and they are very careful.

plus they have road hazard included and free balance/rotations. the only thing that would make them perfect is if they could handle alignments. if they see uneven wear they will refer you to a shop that does alignments b/c they don't have the equip to do it.
Old 01-16-07, 06:17 PM
howardde
Driver School Candidate

Default I need Costco Help As Well

So, thanks for the tip on the $60 off deal at Costco...I was waiting for this.

Anyway, I'm confused by all of the tire choices that Costco gives. They have like 4 different PS2's ranging in price from $273 - 293. I don't know which to get. Also, they don't have the Pilot Sport A/S, which I've seen some people on here mention.

So, I need to figure out what to do. I'm not a performance driver at all...and I commute about a mile each way to work...I just want to get rid of the awful ride and not feel bumps. Please help!
Old 01-16-07, 06:33 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have found that the survey ratings over on Tirerack.com are very helpful is choosing a tire. They may not carry all of your choices but worth a shot.
Old 01-16-07, 10:54 PM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Pearlpower for the good info on tires!
Old 01-17-07, 01:43 PM
chewbone
Driver School Candidate

howardde....your exactly right about the costo tire listings. Lots of choices. In fact there are two PS2's listed that look to be exactly the same, same speed rating, etc. and I actually ended up calling the home office to find out the difference (other than one was $5 higher per tire and a different product item number). Even my local Costco tire outlet couldn't figure it out. Once I get the call back due today or tomorrow I will post it here. It may be the A/S you mentioned that just isn't posted right on their website? Also.....some of the tread patterns shown on the costo website don't match the manuf. website listings. I agree with Pearlpower that Tirerack.com does a great job and has a user survey which is interesting.
Old 01-17-07, 05:40 PM
howardde
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Let me know what you figure out re: what works best for SC430. I want to get this done during the $60 coupon window.