SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Remote key Programming Failure

Old 10-23-06, 09:55 PM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Remote key Programming Failure

Several months ago, I found (and posted) the instructions for programming a new key to start the SC430. I successfully programmed a key without a remote to start the car.

Recently I purchased a key with remote functions on ebay (said to be new OEM and looks it). I easily programmed the key to start the car using the same directions (see below for both sets of directions).

I am having problems with the remote functions (second set of instructions). I successfully get through the remote programming until the part where I am supposed to hold both the lock and unlock buttons for 2 seconds (I assume at the same time -- although I tried them individually too) and then the push the lock for 1 second. I don't get the second lock cycle sequence -- kind of dead in the water. Tried changing batteries out but no luck. Am I missing something? Can there be more than one remote for a car? I now have 5 keys that can start the car. But only one remote that works.

Key Programming to start car (this worked fine on a late model 2002)
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speach -- or just about on the second. Then opened the door to the samd beat. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds.

The Security light flashed for about a minute and then went out. I then hit the brake once -- proably within 3-5 seconds of the light going out.

Can get the programming below to work.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
3. Close and open the drivers door TWO TIMES.
4. Put key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times.
6. Put key into the ignition. Close the drivers door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing).

It works until this point.

On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

This is where I have problems. I get no cycling of the locks -- either one or two. Could be the new remote mechanism is dead? Or I am missing something.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put key in ignition and pull out. This will end programming.

Anybody successfully programmed the remote functions??