SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

revised Tein CS arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-06, 06:31 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default revised Tein CS arrived!

They came in yesterday! I'll post more pics after I get them installed right after the wheels/tires get put on this week.

Old 09-17-06, 07:31 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm happy for you that you got your coilovers and all but I'm confused why you couldn't just post this up in your teaser thread, I don't know why people start new threads for every single mod that they receive, It's better if they just put all of their updates into one single thread dedicated to their car...

That is all, post pics when you mount your rims and do the drop.
Old 09-17-06, 07:50 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
I'm happy for you that you got your coilovers and all but I'm confused why you couldn't just post this up in your teaser thread, I don't know why people start new threads for every single mod that they receive, It's better if they just put all of their updates into one single thread dedicated to their car...

That is all, post pics when you mount your rims and do the drop.
Coming from a person that has a quote of "PLEASE use SEARCH! " in their sig, I expect a comment like this. Besides, you didn't have to click on this thread.

It's like a lose-lose situation for me...If I don't post pics before I install the mod, I get criticized yet when I post pics before I install I still get criticized from fellow CL members. Go figure, lol!
Old 09-18-06, 12:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

congrats! can't wait to read your feedback of these
Old 09-18-06, 05:26 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the pics. Glad to see the new coilovers finally making to the end users. I am looking forward to your review. I have the CS Springs and want to go to the coilovers soon.

(While it is helpful to consolidate posts under a common thread, I don’t think you were being criticized for making multiple threads. I think it was a suggestion to help everyone keep topics organized.)

Last edited by Radical350; 09-18-06 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-18-06, 06:13 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeah!
Coming from a person that has a quote of "PLEASE use SEARCH! " in their sig, I expect a comment like this. Besides, you didn't have to click on this thread.

It's like a lose-lose situation for me...If I don't post pics before I install the mod, I get criticized yet when I post pics before I install I still get criticized from fellow CL members. Go figure, lol!
Don't let what some people say bother you. Remember, we're all a bunch of internet junkies who should be out somewhere enjoying life.
Old 09-18-06, 08:05 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Thx for the input guys! I don't take anything serious from internet discussions (arguments, insults, etc.) b/c I don't sweat the small stuff in life.

Will post back here w/new pics & my thoughts on them soon.
Old 09-18-06, 09:24 AM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

I cant wait to see a write up on this! Congrats on the buy.
Old 09-18-06, 10:36 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Thx! I'll be sure to do a write-up when I can.
Old 09-18-06, 10:39 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I already had these Tein CST installed last Saturday and had a couple days of fun with it.
Since my English is not as good as you guys, I'll leave the detail write-up to Jimmy.

I didn't adjust the ride height. just use the original setting from Tein.
The standard ride height is pretty much the same as that of my Tein H-tech, only maybe the rear is a little bit lower.
One finger gap front/rear and the alignment is still within specs but barely makes it.
If you do the standard setting, your ride height should look like this pic below.

As for the damping force adjustment, 12 clicks from 0 front/rear as recommended by Tein.
I am going to play with the damping more in the next couple days to find the ideal setting for me.
Maybe I should buy the EDFC because it is PIA to remove all the trunk interior again.

I actually bought the Tein CS and EDFC early this year and waited for 4 months, but sold them in anticipation of a suv I am going to need early next year. I regreted it the moment I sold them because I never like the stock shocks.
The stock ride quality just sucks even with the Tein H springs. I want to feel how a 60k car should really have been felt like, so I ordered Tein CST from TM again right after Todd said he had them in stock.

I don't have a lot of vocabularies to decribe the ride quality with Tein CST, but I can tell you it is s~m~o~o~t~h all the way.
I no longer have the floaty feeling. I also hit some small potholes on purpose and went over lots of speedbumps.

Man, I am right on the money about this cst. I feel more in control plus that bad bounce I hate the most is much less now.
If time is permissible, I'll adjust the damping force to the hardest and the softest tomorrow to see how my car rides.
Old 09-18-06, 11:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

congrats on the new setup man coilovers, way to go i can't say how much i love my tein cs
Old 09-19-06, 09:27 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

talwang,

Great info! Couple questions...

I must've missed the 12 clicks from 0 front/rear in the instructions. Where does it say that or did you ask Tein USA directly? I'd like to have it soft not to the point it's floating.

I've never had any Tein coilovers...Is 0 the stiffest & 16 the softest or vice-versa?

You said you have a one-finger gap front/rear due to the standard ride height setting. Standard ride height as in the measurements (in inches) front/rear that the diagram in the instructions shows?

What are your wheel & tire sizes? I ask b/c the tires I have have an overall diameter that's roughly 1.0 inch bigger so that would make the fenderwell gap smaller for me.

Thx!
Old 09-19-06, 11:10 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

That info is actually on page 7.

I notice that standard value of old CS needs only 6 clicks /front and 10 clicks /rear from 0 which are different from this CST.
Also, you can do totally 27 clicks from 0 (the stiffest setting) if I counted it correctly.
However, Tein says you should use only level 1-16 and any adjustment exceeding level 16 may damage the damper.
If I interpret it correctly, you should not turn the adjustment **** more than 16 clicks from the hardest setting(full clockwise).

If you compare the standard reference value of CS ride height with that of CST, CS is lower by 5mm in the rear, that explains why my rear wheel gap is a tad more than one finger. I think old CS give this car a even wheel gap front/rear.

Most of the CS/CST owners probably don't care about all these becase they will just go ahead and adjust the ride height as low as they can. haha..
I won't go any lower like these crazy folks here bcs my front lip already scraped a lot at this height. Besides, I tend to believe the standard setting should be the best for the product from manufacturer

Mine is 19" and the total diameter with tire is about the same as stock 18" with tire.
You car is runing on 20", so it should fill up the gap more nicely. That also depends on what brand of tires you put on your rims.
Old 09-20-06, 12:07 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

I was hoping you'd say 0 is the stiffest setting. 12 clicks from soft would be a tad too stiff probably for my gf. I'm not going to lower that much (I'd like a one-finger gap front/rear). BTW, that's a nice, clean sc430!
Old 09-20-06, 01:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

correct, there are more than 16 clicks from stiffest, but don't even try to do that, bad idea.

and i am very surprised how you guys pay that much attention to the "stock" tein settings. i never ever read it. just adjust it to your preferred ride height and dampening settings and be happy with that